SASS Wire Forum

"Almost Heaven, West Virginia.."

Pat Riot has recently informed us of his decision as to where he wil be relocating:

Snip-it_1634129653183.jpg.42e017f6bfdd8d61ca7a04e36c88fcf7.jpg

So in honor of the State's potential new resident, I believe it may be appropriate to open this new thread to have fun with our West Virginia brethren. :D

I'll get the party started....

Snip-it_1634130301891.jpg.4fb9c1e117b140dfb7f6b0dab75c4ea9.jpg

Born and raised in West By Gawd Virginia.  Sadly moved away to the wilderness in UT 27 years ago. WV  is "Almost Heaven". Miss it a lot. Carried a gun to school from 7th. grade on. A pocket knife from 1st. grade.  No-one ever go stabbed or shot.  WV is still a great place to live.

50 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Born and raised in West By Gawd Virginia.  Sadly moved away to the wilderness in UT 27 years ago. WV  is "Almost Heaven". Miss it a lot. Carried a gun to school from 7th. grade on. A pocket knife from 1st. grade.  No-one ever go stabbed or shot.  WV is still a great place to live.

I grew up in PA just 12 miles north of the Mason Dixon Line. It’s amazing the attitudes of folks just a few miles into West Virginia versus the folks a few miles into PA. 

We are looking at moving to the Morgantown area next summer. :D

Pat, Morgantown is pretty cool. Got My BS in chemistry there. All oof downtown in on a mountainside and the streets can be tough in a snowstorm. It is definitely a "College town" if you get my drift:P. Outside of town there are some pretty nice areas. I grew up in Buckhannon and lived on the  Ohio river shore for many years but stayed on the WV side.

23 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Pat, Morgantown is pretty cool. Got My BS in chemistry there. All oof downtown in on a mountainside and the streets can be tough in a snowstorm. It is definitely a "College town" if you get my drift:P. Outside of town there are some pretty nice areas. I grew up in Buckhannon and lived on the  Ohio river shore for many years but stayed on the WV side.

We are looking at the Cheat Lake area but on the outskirts of Morgantown. I really like Kingwood but the road there is a bit slow due to curves and hills, but man did I wish I had my motorcycle here. :D

I have no intention of living close to the University. ;)

Required gear for West Virginia, includes Kentucky and Tennessee 

2395A8D1-D8CB-409C-8132-1A122EB17073.jpeg

Usually one per room required to keep the ladies from making a mess. They don’t spit as good as the guys.  This is a proven fact by the number of wins in straight up competitions.  Yes it’s a backwoods sport

West Virginia has been a hot retirement area for better part of 15 - 18 yrs. Low property and sales tax.  Good hospitals/health care,  low cost of living, plenty to do outdoors. Pretty certain it's in the top 5-8 or so states for retirement.

I was seriously considering Arizona and Texas. We visited Arizona again in June and we had planned another visit to Texas, mainly Lubbock, Amarillo, San Antonio and Texarkana. We came here and started hanging out with family and one thing led to another and we decided West Virginia was it. 
There aren’t many SASS clubs here, but that’s okay. I will make do. ;)

23 minutes ago, WOLFY said:

those states are alot closer together than out west, Pat Riot

i thought there were cowboy matches everywhere

Yeah, I grew up out here. 

Lots of good CAS action in that Texarkana area.  ;)

Momma was from Bridgeport and was one of 11 kids.  I jokingly say that I'm kin to 3 counties in West Virginia since 9 or the 11 stayed in the area and all of them have big families.  I have cousins that were roughly the same age as my parents and uncles that were only 8 or 9 years older than myself.

One of my aunts married into another big family in the area and I kid with her husband by claiming that he as to drive around with one hand raised in the air to keep from making a relative mad at him for not waving when they pass. 

We went up to visit every 3 or 4 years when I was growing up and one summer, our visit coincided with his family reunion.  My sister and I spent the entire day at that reunion and nobody could quite figure out how we were kin since we'd play along when asked about knowing or seeing Cousin So and So.

Pat, as for the food in West Virginia, I've never had a bad meal.  EVERYBODY can cook and bake. 

Speaking of baking, when you move, I expect a care package of pepperoni rolls. 

For the uninitiated,  the pepperoni roll is basically the state food, best I can tell.  Imagine a yeast roll big as a man's fist, baked to a deep golden brown with butter put on the top right as it comes out of the oven with a stick of pepperoni (GOOD pepperoni, not the stuff we can get locally) about as long as your index finger baked in the middle.  Some folks add in a piece of longhorn or sharp cheddar of equal size.

Pat, there’s a great shoot I go to that’s in Midvale,Ohio. It’s very close to PA and WV. We get shooters from WV and PA there all the time.

Check out Tusco Long Riders 

Tusco Rifle and Pistol club.

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2021 at 8:24 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

That's my home club!!! 

Beautiful scenery in the mountains of WV! We dont have an "over the berm" penalty, our berm is a mountain! We would love to have you come out shoot with us. (Were all slow too, except for that darned Walker Colt)

Snip-it_1634214146857.jpg.a1ec1c97013fa4aabd7abda413f2e61d.jpg

On 10/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I grew up in PA just 12 miles north of the Mason Dixon Line. It’s amazing the attitudes of folks just a few miles into West Virginia versus the folks a few miles into PA. 

We are looking at moving to the Morgantown area next summer. :D

My mom was from Nesquehoning in Carbon County.

19 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

That's my home club!!! 

Beautiful scenery in the mountains of WV! We dont have an "over the berm" penalty, our berm is a mountain! We would love to have you come out shoot with us. (Were all slow too, except for that darned Walker Colt)

Snip-it_1634214146857.jpg.a1ec1c97013fa4aabd7abda413f2e61d.jpg

I look forward to seeing you next August, maybe? :D

On 10/13/2021 at 9:06 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Pat Riot has recently informed us of his decision as to where he wil be relocating:

Snip-it_1634129653183.jpg.42e017f6bfdd8d61ca7a04e36c88fcf7.jpg

So in honor of the State's potential new resident, I believe it may be appropriate to open this new thread to have fun with our West Virginia brethren. :D

I'll get the party started....

Snip-it_1634130301891.jpg.4fb9c1e117b140dfb7f6b0dab75c4ea9.jpg

Garth, you live on the self-proclaimed "Redneck Rivera".

You're just jealous that they have more last names than you do.

26 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Garth, you live on the self-proclaimed "Redneck Rivera".

You're just jealous that they have more last names than you do.

Just as a clarification.

I live in Central Florida.

Here's where to find a resident of the Redneck Riviera.

Snip-it_1637762530732.jpg.7c409874140f0daf13915f492b6396dc.jpg

Snip-it_1637762329321.jpg.521893784ae054267fb759952a5aca29.jpg

Snip-it_1637762450196.jpg.8348189f9613688851af1bf9f10373a0.jpg

I'm guessing he believes you are here because of your posts a year or so back about DeFuniak. Your wife's family??

I disagree with the picture which shows the Riviera stretching all the way to Pensacola. It's here. It's ours. The idgets over there in Escambia just trying to claim a good thing. Nodding.gif.91bf7004005da201f7328af323930972.gif

But they got it right when they said "the most beautiful beaches in the world". Heck, one of our local TV stations is WMBB - World's Most Beautiful Beaches. 

2128887445_Biggrin.gif.79429280ee7d1b361b585dbba0402dfb.gif

On 10/13/2021 at 7:13 PM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Momma was from Bridgeport and was one of 11 kids.  I jokingly say that I'm kin to 3 counties in West Virginia since 9 or the 11 stayed in the area and all of them have big families.  I have cousins that were roughly the same age as my parents and uncles that were only 8 or 9 years older than myself.

One of my aunts married into another big family in the area and I kid with her husband by claiming that he as to drive around with one hand raised in the air to keep from making a relative mad at him for not waving when they pass. 

We went up to visit every 3 or 4 years when I was growing up and one summer, our visit coincided with his family reunion.  My sister and I spent the entire day at that reunion and nobody could quite figure out how we were kin since we'd play along when asked about knowing or seeing Cousin So and So.

Pat, as for the food in West Virginia, I've never had a bad meal.  EVERYBODY can cook and bake. 

Speaking of baking, when you move, I expect a care package of pepperoni rolls. 

For the uninitiated,  the pepperoni roll is basically the state food, best I can tell.  Imagine a yeast roll big as a man's fist, baked to a deep golden brown with butter put on the top right as it comes out of the oven with a stick of pepperoni (GOOD pepperoni, not the stuff we can get locally) about as long as your index finger baked in the middle.  Some folks add in a piece of longhorn or sharp cheddar of equal size.

Sounds like northern Utah where I grew up.  Mom's family were LDS (Mormons) and lived mainly in Cache, Box Elder, and Davis Counties clear back to the 1840s.

Dad I I were walking down the main street in Logan (Cleverly named Main Street) when he suddenly stopped and slapped his forehead.  I asked him what was wrong and he said "It just occurred to me that with all the cousins, siblings, other family and all the folks they married and had kids with (Those folks are known for big families, too), and then throw in polygamy, we're related to about every other person from Las Vegas to Boise."

He wasn't far off.

I find the blatant insulting and degrading commentary, based solely on where some of your fellow Americans live to be offensive.  Those putting fourth this sort of degradation should actually show an amount of shame.  I realize in your supposed superiority, you probably don't and that is a shame in and of itself.

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

I'm guessing he believes you are here because of your posts a year or so back about DeFuniak. Your wife's family??

I disagree with the picture which shows the Riviera stretching all the way to Pensacola. It's here. It's ours. The idgets over there in Escambia just trying to claim a good thing. Nodding.gif.91bf7004005da201f7328af323930972.gif

But they got it right when they said "the most beautiful beaches in the world". Heck, one of our local TV stations is WMBB - World's Most Beautiful Beaches. 

2128887445_Biggrin.gif.79429280ee7d1b361b585dbba0402dfb.gif

Yes, my wife's family (Dad and Step-Mother) lived there, until they both passed away. (Different years)

No other relatives live in the panhandle any more.

Destin beaches are gorgeous.

24 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I find the blatant insulting and degrading commentary, based solely on where some of your fellow Americans live to be offensive.  Those putting fourth this sort of degradation should actually show an amount of shame.  I realize in your supposed superiority, you probably don't and that is a shame in and of itself.

Who wrote that for you to copy? :lol::D:P

OLG 

Archived