SASS Wire Forum

Lightning Rod...Still Illegal?

Cypress Sun

I was going through some boxes of stuff today and came across a brand new "Lightning Rod" for the '73 rifle. I had received it as a gift years back and then it was declared an illegal modification so I never installed it. Is it still an illegal mod?

Thanks

What is it?

Friction reducing devices such as roller bearings are not allowed on the rear portion of firing pins or firing pin extensions.

SHB p.37

Ahh, the infamous Lightning Rod.  These things were so good if you shot 4 second rifle runs it would cut it to 2.  If you shot 2 second runs you did not even have to pick up the rifle or it would shoot minus 2.

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0004.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Ahh, the infamous Lightning Rod.  These things were so good if you shot 4 second rifle runs it would cut it to 2.  If you shot 2 second runs you did not even have to pick up the rifle or it would shoot minus 2.

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0004.jpeg

Hmm, the one I have doesn't look like that, Has the roller but the rest of it looks like the normal '73 extension.

Don't know but maybe yours was a newer version.  Never thought about it but the one I have dropped right in and functioned fine.  The one I have also has an extension on the front to give more firing pin protrusion.  This was before there were lots of aftermarket pins that were longer than stock and had to be fitted.  Thanks for the photos.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Thanks PaleWolf.

Sorry to have to make you look it up.:D

Is OK. ;)
(I had an hour to kill in the parking lot waiting on a patient).

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Don't know but maybe yours was a newer version.  Never thought about it but the one I have dropped right in and functioned fine.  The one I have also has an extension on the front to give more firing pin protrusion.  This was before there were lots of aftermarket pins that were longer than stock and had to be fitted.  Thanks for the photos.

This one also has a very small extension integral to the front. 

Oh for joy!!  The finely crafted sample example expertly displayed and photograph'd by the xsteamed Pettifogger . . . is a version intended for the ubiquitous 1866 version of the Toggle Link Rifle.

The fine item displayed by Cypress Sun, as it's label implies, is intended for the 1873 version of the Toggle Link Rifle.  Burma Shave 

Well there you go.  I have owned my share of 66s and Henry's and this thing has been in the junk drawer for years.  Maybe I should buy Cypress Sun's so I have a complete collection.:lol:

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but why was this modification ruled as illegal?  Seems like the little roller would only be briefly visible while the hammer was back or when the action was open.  The firing pin safety extension found on the Miroku Winchesters is far more noticeable IMHO.

They had to make them illegal because they only worked correctly in Rank Point matches.  In a Total Time match, if you connect them to a Flux Capacitor, it sends you back to last week.  :P  :rolleyes:  :lol:

5 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

(I had an hour to kill in the parking lot waiting on a patient).

It must really cut down on the overhead not having to see patients in a building.

:ph34r:

Just now, Hendo said:

It must really cut down on the overhead not having to see patients in a building.

:ph34r:

Private medical transport. ;)

I'm not allowed in the building unless the patient requires mobility assistance.

5 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Private medical transport. ;)

I'm not allowed in the building unless the patient requires mobility assistance.

Well, ya got me beat. 

I'm generally not allowed in buildings.... :lol:

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Well there you go.  I have owned my share of 66s and Henry's and this thing has been in the junk drawer for years.  Maybe I should buy Cypress Sun's so I have a complete collection.:lol:

I'd sell it, name your price!B)

Cypress Sun

I would be interested in it for use in a 66 I use for reenacting.  Where can I get one?

PaleWolf... 

The original 1st-generation Colt Lightning rifles had a roller on the bottom of the bolt. Do I assume correctly that because it is on the bolt and not on the firing pin AND because it was an original feature that it is legal?

RR

PS: The Lightning-replica makers (Pedersoli, Taurus, Uberti, AWA, USFA) did not utilize this feature.

Colt Lightning bolt roller sm.jpg

19 hours ago, July Smith said:

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but why was this modification ruled as illegal?  Seems like the little roller would only be briefly visible while the hammer was back or when the action was open.  The firing pin safety extension found on the Miroku Winchesters is far more noticeable IMHO.

Device was actually an idea created maybe 15 years ago by a member of my club who passed away.  He gave the idea to the AW Smith and sons (other former cowboy shooters from the area) to bring to market.    The story I heard about it being banned was that it was back in the day when many items were being produced to "enhance" the game; shortstrokes, and such and the group at AW's did not follow proper channels on getting the mod approved and may not have "greased" the proper wheels.

The discussion was that it really was just an internal mod since it could not be seen when the rifle was closed.

2 hours ago, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

... The story I heard about it being banned was that it was back in the day when many items were being produced to "enhance" the game; shortstrokes, and such and the group at AW's did not follow proper channels on getting the mod approved and may not have "greased" the proper wheels.

Yeah, that's it.
It was specifically outlawed in the rules because the WB & ROC members didn't each receive one for "testing".  
<_<

3 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

PaleWolf... 

The original 1st-generation Colt Lightning rifles had a roller on the bottom of the bolt. Do I assume correctly that because it is on the bolt and not on the firing pin AND because it was an original feature that it is legal?

RR

PS: The Lightning-replica makers (Pedersoli, Taurus, Uberti, AWA, USFA) did not utilize this feature.

What does the rule state?

9 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Yeah, that's it.
It was specifically outlawed in the rules because the WB & ROC members didn't each receive one for "testing".  
<_<

Just sharing what was shared with me back in the days.   Was told it was distributed because felt it passed as it was an “internal” modification.   Sending for an approval consideration was an afterthought due to that assumption.   Did not make the parties in charge at the time happy.   Again.  Stories from sitting around the campfire from the people part of this item

FWIW - I happen to have the email discussions among the ROC members (which in 2005 included members of the Wild Bunch) on that item archived.

Whatever "campfire stories" came up with regarding "greasing wheels" can be tossed in that fire.

That is NOT, nor has it EVER been, a component of acquiring approval of a proposed modification.

The "Lightning Rod" (and any similar modification) was specifically ruled as ILLEGAL.

Archived