SASS Wire Forum

How NOT TO Shoot a Lever Action Rifle

The Outlaw Travis James

Just now, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

That one is going to hurt. 

Yes it does but we have regionals next week so I am hoping for some quick healing.  

41 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Ouch.  Go to SlixSprings and order a straight trigger.  Helps. 

What Tex said!

Straight trigger also gives a better "feel" ,IMHO

6 minutes ago, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

I did that AT the SE Regional Match on the 4th stage of the match (I think) - I actually shot better with the bandaid on my trigger finger.

Holler

You didn't get a stage DQ for shooting with unapproved modifications? :D

Kajun

1 minute ago, Krazy Kajun said:

You didn't get a stage DQ for shooting with unapproved modifications? :D

Kajun

Shhh...I might want to use that trick again someday.  I have a box of bandaids in the cart box just in case.

1 hour ago, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

I did that AT the SE Regional Match on the 4th stage of the match (I think) - I actually shot better with the bandaid on my trigger finger.

Holler

Gamer.:P

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Superglue and tylenol/ibuprofen(and whiskey after shooting is done for the day).

Oh and fix whatever is broken with the trigger ASAP(bad spring?).

Yes there was a malfunction with the trugger safety spring and it allowed the trigger safety block to slide up.

Been there, done that.  Wrap a band aid before shooting.  If it ever happens again, it will minimize cutting through the skin.  It will still hurt but it minimize cutting the skin again. I filed, rounded off the corner of the trigger and straightened it and it never happen again, at least for me. Now let's go shoot again.

53 minutes ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

Been there, done that.  Wrap a band aid before shooting.  If it ever happens again, it will minimize cutting through the skin.  It will still hurt but it minimize cutting the skin again. I filed, rounded off the corner of the trigger and straightened it and it never happen again, at least for me. Now let's go shoot again.

I stoned both my trigger and the part of the lever that is the other half of the bite.

And yeah, a band-aid helps. 

Hold my beer and watch this :lol:

17 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

I know that hurts (personal experience) but gotta admire that you finished the shotgun.

No pistols? or earlier in the stage?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

They were the first string of the stage.  But I wanted to get to the "meat" of the video ASAP.  hahaha 

13 hours ago, Hendo said:

I stoned both my trigger and the part of the lever that is the other half of the bite.

And yeah, a band-aid helps. 

Or you could sharpen your trigger up so it will make a cleaner cut.  Stabbing yourself with a dull trigger will really hurt.  Just kidding, I've got a nice scar where I've stabbed myself with the trigger several times in the same place.  

The really hard decision comes when you have to decide on the clock to;

1.  Go ahead a force the lever closed, driving the trigger further into your finger so you can shoot the round

or

2.  open the lever, removing the trigger from your finger but ejecting a live round, which will have to be reloaded later with bloody fingers.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Or you could sharpen your trigger up so it will make a cleaner cut.  Stabbing yourself with a dull trigger will really hurt.  Just kidding, I've got a nice scar where I've stabbed myself with the trigger several times in the same place.  

1.  Go ahead a force the lever closed, driving the trigger further into your finger so you can shoot the round

or

2.  open the lever, removing the trigger from your finger but ejecting a live round, which will have to be reloaded later with bloody fingers.

Yup, got the same scar. I usually get bit when I make a change to my main rifle, get over confident or push myself when I'm tired.

Ya would think that scar would make you impervious to such muckery as being bit.

17 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

What category are you shootin’ at the Regionals?  If it’s not Frontiersman I hope you heal quick :ph34r::D

You are safe, Wrangler.  Ya know, Bucky, Sidekick, Deuce, no sweat... :P

3 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

or

THere was no choice in theis situation as the rifle was jammed.  So I had to tear the skin on the finger in order to get it off of the trigger.  

I was told after I shoved the trigger thru my finger...

"If you aint got a scar on your trigger finger - you aint pushing fast enough"

And mine was the first round out of the rifle - first gun on the stage.

Blood splatters all along the side of the rifle, shotgun and left pistol.

And as I tend to "Pump" my pistols a bit shooting gunfighter - I managed to get blood flicked onto my face, shooting glasses and shirt as well.

As my daughter stated after the stage as I was cleaning myself and the guns up (side note; spray lube in an open cut is unpleasant as well),

"You are the only person who could cut their finger and end up looking like a horror movie"

15 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I was told after I shoved the trigger thru my finger...

"If you aint got a scar on your trigger finger - you aint pushing fast enough"

And mine was the first round out of the rifle - first gun on the stage.

Blood splatters all along the side of the rifle, shotgun and left pistol.

And as I tend to "Pump" my pistols a bit shooting gunfighter - I managed to get blood flicked onto my face, shooting glasses and shirt as well.

As my daughter stated after the stage as I was cleaning myself and the guns up (side note; spray lube in an open cut is unpleasant as well),

"You are the only person who could cut their finger and end up looking like a horror movie"

Reminds me of a story a pard was telling me after the third (maybe 4th) time I impaled my finger. He said he had got it jammed in by the lever and couldn't get enough muscle to pull the lever off. If I remember right, he had @Smokestack SASS#87384 grab the rifle and lever and pull 'em apart. 

Great story, but it didn't make my finger hurt any less. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 6:50 AM, The Outlaw Travis James said:

So, how's the finger?

I apologize as I kinda missed if the rifle had a malfunction.  Did the safety bar fall? 

10 hours ago, Hendo said:

So, how's the finger?

I apologize as I kinda missed if the rifle had a malfunction.  Did the safety bar fall? 

It is good.  Still not healed but I was able to shoot Ambush with no pain.  AND I forced myself to slam fire the rifle on Warm-Up Day.  It was the first match I shot since I had done it.

Yes.  I have a mouse trap type trigger safety spring and I believe while cleaning it, I pushed it off of the top of the trigger safety block.  The block did not reset allowing the trigger to remain to the rear.  

11 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

It is good.  Still not healed but I was able to shoot Ambush with no pain.  AND I forced myself to slam fire the rifle on Warm-Up Day.  It was the first match I shot since I had done it.

Yes.  I have a mouse trap type trigger safety spring and I believe while cleaning it, I pushed it off of the top of the trigger safety block.  The block did not reset allowing the trigger to remain to the rear.  

I bought a used rifle that had been worked. One of the mods was to weld the sear and the trigger together and delete the safety. 

That lasted one match.

13 hours ago, Hendo said:

I bought a used rifle that had been worked. One of the mods was to weld the sear and the trigger together and delete the safety. 

That lasted one match.

I don't blame you.  I want all the safety functions to work on all my guns.  I don't shoot a double, but that may be the only one I would consider deactivating.  

Archived