SASS Wire Forum

Biscuit

Buckshot Bear

9 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I'm too lazy to make them from scratch.  Just remove the outer foil and smack the cartboard tube on a counter edge.  It pops open and you pop them in the oven.

GUEST_7149b63e-e84e-4c8c-a4ba-137590568572.jpeg

Yep that's what I make!!! I'm actually too lazy to make them except for once in a great while!:lol:

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Pringles make excellent fire starters. And if you ever see and smell one burn you will never eat them again, but they are excellent for getting wet wood hot enough to burn.

Fritos and Doritos also work well.

15 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I'm too lazy to make them from scratch.  Just remove the outer foil and smack the cartboard tube on a counter edge.  It pops open and you pop them in the oven.

Uggggh!   Sorry!  Those don't go round here!

15 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

ONLY if there's vegemite ...   ;)

That is the nastiest thing I have ever heard here! Please don't ever say that again....I had a full body quiver when I read that!

30 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

That is the nastiest thing I have ever heard here! Please don't ever say that again....I had a full body quiver when I read that!

Butter and a touch of Vegemite with some slices of sauted cremini mushroom and you will think it's ham on the biscuit.

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Butter and a touch of Vegemite with some slices of sauted cremini mushroom and you will think it's ham on the biscuit.

Not you too! [wanders off whimpering...]

26 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Not you too! [wanders off whimpering...]

I use Better Than Bouillon soup base the same way.  To me Vegemite is just another soup base paste .  If you think about it like that a lot of the weird goes away.

Pairing it with mushrooms is a good way to get a meaty flavor and texture during a fast.

22 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

gettyimages-870241450-612x612.jpg

2 cups Flour

1 tablespoon sugar

3 tablespoons powdered buttermilk

2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

stick of chilled butter

1 medium egg

3/4 cup water

400 oven, 10-12 min.

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly butter a 12 inch dutch oven, cast iron skillet or baking pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder cream of tartar and powdered buttermilk.
  3. With a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter chunks break down slightly. You don’t want to work it to a cracker crumb consistency, but leave some larger butter flakes.
  4. In a small bowl whisk the egg. Stir into the flour mixture and then add the water just until combined. The dough will be a little sticky. You should be able to see the butter pieces in the dough.
  5. Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface. Flour your hands and knead the dough 10 to 15 times. If the dough is still tacky, knead in a little more flour to form a soft dough.
  6. Pat or roll the dough out to about ¾ to 1-inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter.
  7. Place the biscuits in the skillet, dutch oven or baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until a light golden brown on top and bottom.

29 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

2 cups Flour

1 tablespoon sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt

stick of chilled butter

1 medium egg

3/4 cup water

400 oven, 10-12 min.

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly butter a 12 inch dutch oven, cast iron skillet or baking pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder cream of tartar and powdered buttermilk.
  3. With a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter chunks break down slightly. You don’t want to work it to a cracker crumb consistency, but leave some larger butter flakes.
  4. In a small bowl whisk the egg. Stir into the flour mixture and then add the water just until combined. The dough will be a little sticky. You should be able to see the butter pieces in the dough.
  5. Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface. Flour your hands and knead the dough 10 to 15 times. If the dough is still tacky, knead in a little more flour to form a soft dough.
  6. Pat or roll the dough out to about ¾ to 1-inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter.
  7. Place the biscuits in the skillet, dutch oven or baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until a light golden brown on top and bottom.

Them biscuits grow tall and fluffy?

To make your bread rise you generally have a chemical reaction that creates bubbles. The best way to get this quickly is by mixing a base with an acid.

Baking powder is a combination of baking soda, which is a base, with an acid.

Buttermilk is an acid.

Cream of tartar is an acid (matter of fact, if you're making your own baking powder, you use baking soda and cream of tartar. Just in case anyone's interested).

So there is an awful lot of acid being mixed into that biscuit recipe, to react with the (baking powder is basically a two to one mix of soda to acid, so with two teaspoons of the powder you have one and one third teaspoon of baking soda) 1 and 1/3 teaspoons of base. Seems like that ought to rise up like a baking soda volcano.

40 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

2 cups Flour

1 tablespoon sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt

stick of chilled butter

1 medium egg

3/4 cup water

400 oven, 10-12 min.

Instructions

With the egg and sugar it seems to me to lean towards the scone side of the family.

On 10/11/2021 at 8:03 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

I just read some of this thread to my wife.  Her comment was "Look at it this way,one of our most popular baking mixes is called BISquick."

I'll ad that self-raising flour was invented to so you could make a basic biscuit by just adding water and then baking it.

The directions on the box doesn't included water.  The liquid added to the mix is moo juice.

2 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The directions on the box doesn't included water.  The liquid added to the mix is moo juice.

He’s right, but let’s ask Betty Crocker. ;)

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/bisquick-rolled-biscuits/3e0c95f0-8aec-4a01-9463-73759b2ce066

3 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

But I said self rising flour, not BISquick 

21 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Down here, we eat Cat Head Biscuits.  Tell 'em, Smuteye.

You sure?:huh:

It might confuse the Yankees and disturb the furriners ('cept for maybe Wallaby- he's already disturbed).  :rolleyes:

I don't know if all of them is ready for for the idea of light, flaky home made biscuits the size of a tom cat's head, with the tops buttered when pulled right out of the oven. 

Might be a bit much for Buckshot to bear- seein's how he's just learning of (shudder!) Bisquick and Pilsbury's biscuits in a can.

The Missus and I went to Cracker Barrel this morning, and YES, I did have biscuits and gravy!

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

The Missus and I went to Cracker Barrel this morning, and YES, I did have biscuits and gravy!

Cracker Barrel ain't half bad for store bought. 

One thing it has going for it is that it's consistent from location to location.  What you get in Las Vegas (there is a Cracker Barrel in Las Vegas, last I heard) will taste the same as what you get in Millbrook, Alabama.

You can get better from home cookin' but it's hard to beat in a chain restaurant. 

Little Mom and Pop meat and three places in the South will make you put it never want to darken the door again (like Pannie George's in south Auburn or Minnies in downtown Columbus, GA just to name 2 right off the top of my head) but they ain't just off the interstate when you're traveling and hungry either.  (Except for Pannie George's, it's on South College just off I-85 beside the McDonalds in the strip mall with the Army recruiter office.)

Nashville Biscuit and Big Bad Breakfast are purty good examples of better’n average biscuit houses.

BBB has cat head biscuits that rival the best I’ve ever had and they’re literally bigger than my fist!! (I wear size 2XL gloves)

My biggest gripe is that most places have started letting their gravy get to a near paste consistency!  I’ve taken to ordering a cup of hot water so’s I can thin it out some!!  I like to pour my gravy, not spread it!!

Archived