SASS Wire Forum

Biscuit

Buckshot Bear

Ok my US pards :) I need your brains trust.

On cowboy movies they have these big stonkin' biscuits with comments like "Nice biscuit" "Best biscuit I've ever eaten" etc etc etc

Now these aren't biscuits like Oreo's, what are they referring to? And does anyone have a recipe for them?

Hope I've explained properly what I'm talkin' about.

Nope, not your kind of biscuits, what you folks call biscuits are cookies to us Yanks. These are big fluffy flour biscuits they are talking about. The kind you sop up gravy with.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP._xF2035sb8h-2ZJX3BR8TQHaLH%26pid%3DApi&f=1

12 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Nope, not your kind of biscuits, what you folks call biscuits are cookies to us Yanks. These are big fluffy flour biscuits they are talking about. The kind you sop up gravy with.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP._xF2035sb8h-2ZJX3BR8TQHaLH%26pid%3DApi&f=1

That's them, are they still popular today?

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Oh yeah! If you ever get up here, we will take you for some biscuits and sausage gravy! Heaven on a plate!

Heat oven to 425 F or 450 F. Prepare a baking sheet either by greasing it or with parchment paper lightly sprayed with cooking spray.

2 cups flour, plus a bit more

1 TBS baking powder, more or less 1/4 tsp baking soda, more or less

Somewhere between 1/2 tsp and 1 tap of salt.

Mix that all together.

Grate in most of a stick of cold butter, some will cut the butter into cubes then cut in the butter with knives or a pastry blender, but I like grating it.  Toss and stir with a fork until evenly distributed.

Pour in about 3/4 cup of buttermilk.  Mix just until combined.  Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead once or twice to get it to hold together.  Pat out into a rectangle, fold into thirds, turn 90 degrees, pat out again, fold into thirds, pat out to about 3/4 of an inch thick.  Now, you can either cut it into about a dozen square biscuits or use a cutter or glass to cut round biscuits, patting the scraps into squares and cutting more rounds.

Place on baking sheet leaving a little space between the biscuits, bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and delicious.

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have the same problem you have when I'm watching British TV shows.  They ask "would you like a biscuit" and shove a plate of cookies in your face.

We also have scones here, but they are usually eaten with butter, jam and cream.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scones&sxsrf=AOaemvK6lFzIxt-syyDNpSnNJn6fjsGGPQ:1634006222277&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN08HD68PzAhUowzgGHd55A1sQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1920&bih=947&dpr=1

I'm too lazy to make them from scratch.  Just remove the outer foil and smack the cartboard tube on a counter edge.  It pops open and you pop them in the oven.

GUEST_7149b63e-e84e-4c8c-a4ba-137590568572.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is silly question! Wildly popular!

Almost every eatery ha biscuits and gravy on the breakfast menu.  There are restaurants dedicated to biscuits in all their forms.  One of the chain seafood restaurants is known for its cheddar biscuits as much as for the seafood.

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Hot biscuits, split open, slathered with butter and honey or jam.

Just now, Subdeacon Joe said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is silly question! Wildly popular!

Almost every eatery ha biscuits and gravy on the breakfast menu.  There are restaurants dedicated to biscuits in all their forms.  One of the chain seafood restaurants is known for its cheddar biscuits as much as for the seafood.

I need to get onto this and start a fad and introduce these biscuits and start a chain of these stores down here..... @Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 you in mate?

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I need to get onto this and start a fad and introduce these biscuits and start a chain of these stores down here..... @Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 you in mate?

Basically, take an English style scone, leave out the sugar, and replace the egg with a little more buttermilk and you get an American biscuit.

26 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

LOL I gotta' becareful....my holster rig I ordered is due in the next couple of weeks.....I gotta' make sure it fits me!

My biscuit gun belt.  Two buckles, two sets of holes.  Worse case scenario buy a new center tongue.

DSC_0001.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I just read some of this thread to my wife.  Her comment was "Look at it this way,one of our most popular baking mixes is called BISquick."

I'll ad that self-raising flour was invented to so you could make a basic biscuit by just adding water and then baking it.

Biscuits v cookies etc, and there is the chips saga..I got caught the last time we went to the USA..here down under there are 2 types of chips, we have our ''piece of fish & chips' [ fries ] or the packet of chips  which is your crisps to go with our can of soft drink or your soda !!!

There's more but I've already stolen the thread enough ....

1 minute ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Biscuits v cookies etc, and there is the chips saga..I got caught the last time we went to the USA..here down under there are 2 types of chips, we have our ''piece of fish & chips' or the packet of chips  which is your crisps to go with our can of soft drink or your soda !!!

There's more but I've already stolen the thread enough ....

And Mohawk there's scones and then there's good scones !

You can order from Amazon in Australia, right?

Here is the link for small Bisquick buttermilk biscuit packages and one for the boxed Bisquick. Don’t let the pancakes on the front fool ya. It makes great biscuits. Directions on the side of the box. 

Betty Crocker Bisquick Buttermilk Biscuit Mix, 7.5 oz (Pack of 9) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DJQ2AZK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_A2SQ60MDW4A8BBWFM5SK

Betty Crocker Bisquick Pancake & Baking Mix 96.0 oz Box (2 pack) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077FB3KBF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QRMFJ33S3555QK6G2JR3

When I want biscuits I cheat and use Bisquick. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Hot biscuits, split open, slathered with butter and honey or jam.

Or stuffed with (usually fried) meat like ham ( I like mine heated up by searing in a pan a little), sausage of some sort (patty or link), bacon, breaded steak,.... and an egg ( scrambled cooked flat like an omelet and folded until it fits on the biscuit or a fried egg).  That's been breakfast on the go for decades.

Not only does sausage gravy go well with biscuits but there's an ambrosia called 'redeye gravy' that does, too.

When I was in Boy Scouts, we used to make biscuit dough, roll it out and wrap it around a green wood stick and cook it over a camp fire. Very good !

Horace

13 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

We don't have potato crisps.  They are potato chips.

depositphotos_8121720-stock-photo-delicious-potato-chips-in-bowl.jpg

BUT....

Pringles are not chips, they're crisps.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/pringles-arent-really-potato-chips/

I suspect that our friends up over call them chips.

I think they are pretty wreched no matter what you call them.

41 minutes ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

When I was in Boy Scouts, we used to make biscuit dough, roll it out and wrap it around a green wood stick and cook it over a camp fire. Very good !

Horace

We use to wrap it around a hot dog.  Sticks taste horrible.

12 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Oh hell yes.  I couldn't survive without biscuits and gravy (milk, white four, gravy drippings. and chopped sausage...either beef or pork... some pepper and salt and a dash or several of Tabasco sauce) thick enough to sculpt, and about four slices of hickory smoked bacon, orange and apple juice 50/50 mix, and coffee with a lot of sugar.

About three days a week.

The gravy is also great over ground beef, scrambled eggs, hash browns or refried mashed potatoes, toast, and almost anything else except ice cream and key lime or lemon mirengue pie.

Now that you have a Buttermilk Biscuit recipe you need the proper gravy. No two people will make it the exact same way. Yet everyone uses the three basic ingredients of Flour, Milk, and Drippings from meat. I only use cast iron cookwear for making gravy as it heats evenly and doesn't develop hot spots. Don't use non-stick cookwear, as all the scraping will damage the non-stick coating despite what the maker tells you.

This makes enough for 2 people. and is easy to scale up.

You will need 1/4 lb of good quality sausage per serving. Don't use cheap sausage. Personally I don't like sausages with a high sugar content like maple flavored as the sugars burn easily.

All purpose flour

2 1/2 cups whole milk. Low fat, 2%, or other specialty milks will not make good gravy.

Salt and pepper to taste.

In a minimum of a 10 inch cast iron skillet, (us a minimum of a 12" for 4 servings) You can either crumple up the sausage or form into patties. Either way cook till nicely browned. Add an additional 1/2 lb for 4 servings.

Remove most of the browned sausage leaving behind about 2 tablespoons of grease and the really small pieces of well browned sausage. Add an additional table spoon for 4 servings.

Now is when you need to devote your undivided attention to the process. You have to keep stirring the from this point on. This includes scraping the bottom and sides of the skillet to keep the contents from sticking and burning. My grandmother made so much gravy that a couple of her tablespoons had a sharpened edge on one side. I inherited one when she passed and still use it to stir gravy and scoop ice cream

Add 2 heaping table spoons of all purpose flour. Add an additional table spoon for 4 servings

Over a medium to medium high heat stir the flour with a well made tablespoon. Lots of online recipes say to use a wisk. Don't as you cannot scrape the bottom and sides of the skillet with a wisk. Scraping loose the mixture before it sticks and burns is an important part of the cooking process as this is where the flavors come alive.

After a few minutes the flour will start to brown. (In the south we call this Roux and it is the corner stone in lots of dishes especially Gumbo.) When it reaches an even dark tan color stir in 2 1/2 cups of whole milk. Add an additional 2 cups for 4 servings

Continue to stir with the spoon until the mixture starts to thicken. Remember to scrape the sides and bottom of the skillet often to prevent the mixture from sticking and burning. If it gets too thick add a little more milk and keep scraping and stiring. It doesn't take much additional milk to make a big difference. Once the gravy is the consistency you like remove from heat.

Some people add the sausage back into the gravy, others like to sprinkle it over the biscuits before covering with gravy, and still others serve it as patties. Feel free to experiment.

The beauty of the above it is lends it's self really well to experimentation and customization. Some people like the roux cooked till it is a light tan. others like it to be much darker all he way to the point of being slightly burnt. Try it different ways and discover what you like.

Same can be said for how thick the gravy is. Some people like it super thin and runny. Others like it thicker. How much flour and milk you use will determine how thick the final product is.

Bacon drippings also make a good gravy. As do almost any fried meat. I have made gravy from Sausage, Bacon, Cured Ham, Chicken, Pork Chops, Steak, Fish and Venison drippings. Served it over the meat, Biscuits, Rice, Mashed Potatoes.

Making good gravy takes practice however, once you get the hang of it, you can scale the recipe up to the point where you can make 10 or 12 servings in a large dutch oven and have them begging for more.

To make cleanup easy, add water to the skillet once the gravy has been served and allow it to soak. Do this before the skillet cools down. This keep the left over gravy from sticking to the skillet.

Oh, yeah: I'm lazy and use Pillsbury frozen country style biscuits and Williams original country gravy made with milk and two Jimmy Dean link sausages or one patty (seasoning is slightly different.  I prefer the links in gravy and patties with pancakes) and Farmer Brothers coffee.

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

ONLY if there's vegemite ...   ;)

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

BUT....

Pringles are not chips, they're crisps.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/pringles-arent-really-potato-chips/

I suspect that our friends up over call them chips.

I think they are pretty wreched no matter what you call them.

I found a very good use for Pringles while camping after my wood and tinder got wet in a little rain storm that popped up. 

Pringles make excellent fire starters. And if you ever see and smell one burn you will never eat them again, but they are excellent for getting wet wood hot enough to burn. ;)

NOW, back on track…

Most self respecting country and southern cooks will never admit to the use of or at least trying canned gravy.
I am not one of those pretentious people.  
Here is a list of canned and ready sausage gravy for use on your biscuits should you decide to try this with little or no effort to find out if you truly would like biscuits and gravy. 

Here is an online survey list that I more or less agree with. 
https://www.pokpoksom.com/best-canned-sausage-gravy/

Archived