SASS Wire Forum

top extractor on '73 rifle

Cutthroat Cody

Check  out  Bullets by Scarlett, #ScarlettDarlin she and others sell a jig that helps hold everything in the right place and then you can tap out the pin.   Bought one from her at EOT.  Makes the job a cinch. 
you’ll need to pull the bolt too, obviously.  

I never reuse the pin.   Cut a new one from proper size drill bit shaft, or even some iron wire.   

If you spot drill one side of the bolt just enough to put a dimple centered on the pin, it will be easier to put the punch on the end of the pin, this time and all the times in the future.  And a lot easier to start the new pin without bending it.

good luck, GJ

9 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I never reuse the pin.   Cut a new one from proper size drill bit shaft, or even some iron wire.   

If you spot drill one side of the bolt just enough to put a dimple centered on the pin, it will be easier to put the punch on the end of the pin, this time and all the times in the future.  And a lot easier to start the new pin without bending it.

good luck, GJ

Great tip! Thx for this one.

On my few previous 73’s I didn’t have a problem with it they all came out relatively easy.
On my new 73 that pin, even with a jig that son of a gun was a bearcat to get out each and every time it was like a battle royale.

After the third time I was afraid to try to take it out again because the bolt was totally beat to hell and probably would not have survive the fourth time.

Put in a boogie bolt with the coil spring and cleaning channel haven’t been happier no more heartburn!

5 minutes ago, KingSnake said:

Scarlet Darlin and I both offer this Bolt Bench Block. We also offer a pin punch and replacement pin material. 

6C1579C5-943D-4C55-9C4E-6FC42EE47A44.jpeg

Got one, works like a charm!  

My question if I may.   Why are you removing the extractor so often.  I don't shoot as much as a lot of you due to weather up here but I havn't removed one from my rifle in 15 yrs        GW

7 hours ago, G W Wade said:

My question if I may.   Why are you removing the extractor so often.  I don't shoot as much as a lot of you due to weather up here but I havn't removed one from my rifle in 15 yrs        GW

You can wait till the extractor fails or you can clean the buildup out periodically  and avoid the problem.

My wife and I shoot every weekend year round and I now clean them a couple times a year.

7 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Plus, if you shoot Black Powder (or substitute) it WILL get gunky. See before and after pictures. 

BEFORE
22EA5B97-0E40-47E6-A577-CD7B2E6A4074.thumb.jpeg.c5bdf0d1a6d4f91430925eb672246c20.jpeg

AFTER:

697C095A-ECDA-449B-BCD7-86C853320C5B.thumb.jpeg.48dd7c6c7029c052a38fe25837181b78.jpeg

Not worthy of the holy black    Only shoot the heathen smokeless and like I said , our season is usually only 7-8 months and lucky to shoot twice a month.   Usually can pull mine up to squirt cleaner underneath the blow out with air then lube.   Forgot about you true shooters    Thanks    GW

Yep.  Clean the firing pin channel where you are in there!  It's almost that bad, most likely.

good luck, GJ

Surprised not much is said about this.   Go to Lefty Wheeler helpful tips on his website.   Open PDF labeled  Clean Bolt Slots      Pretty neat idea in my opinion    GW

Never meet Lefty.  But the man has some interesting ideas and is very helpful when you have problems      GW

1 hour ago, Cutthroat Cody said:

I bought that extractor jig from Scarlett Darling and when I took it out, OMG to say the least........

20211015_153536.jpg

I know, right?!  It’s crazy how much gunk is up in there! Glad the jig worked and your extractor is clean!

Happy shooting!

Hugs!

Scarlett

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yep.  Clean the firing pin channel where you are in there!  It's almost that bad, most likely.

good luck, GJ

I clean mine frequently!  It’s never been as bad as my extractor! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived