SASS Wire Forum

Egg in the Hole

Buckshot Bear

Sixty-six years ago my Pop made that for me... called it "One-Eyed Toast."  One of my earliest memories.  :blush:

I did the same for my own kid.  ^_^

36 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sixty-six years ago my Pop made that for me... called it "One-Eyed Toast."  One of my earliest memories.  :blush:

I did the same for my own kid.  ^_^

Our grandkids want them every time they are here :)

31 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

We’ll done, Buckshot. One of my favorite breakfasts, but I usually substitute a splash of Tabasco for your Worcester’s sauce. I might have to try it your way next time. 

I do love Tabasco, I'll have to give that a try on them one day Charlie.

I’ve pretty much cut out bread in my food intake, (won’t call it a diet ‘cause I ain’t dieting).  

I came up with a fresh take on my eggs. I take a small skillet, a little bacon grease, some chives, some shredded parmesean, shredded cheddar, and some mixed cayenne/black pepper.  Start with a cold skillet and dump in all the dry ingredients. Add the bacon grease and set the burner on high. Crack three large or jumbo eggs into the skillet as it heats up and wait for the whites to start turning white. Turn the burner to medium heat and when the eggs will slide without running off, slide them off into a plate, sunny side up. Take the skillet and place it upside down on the plate and quickly flip them so that the eggs are turned. Finish cooking the eggs and slide ‘em back on the plate.  I sometimes throw a slice of American or Swiss in as soon as I flip the eggs.  A mess of bacon or some country ham or sausage and you got yourself a great, low carb breakfast!!  

If I’m splurging, I’ll have me a couple of biscuits with butter!

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I'm trying to cut back on bread but jeez its hard :(

I know exactly how you feel.

I love bread. Especially buttermilk biscuits, and Fry Bread.

Been known to bake a fresh loaf and make a meal of it. Just slice and serve warm with plenty of butter.

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I know exactly how you feel.

I love bread. Especially buttermilk biscuits, and Fry Bread.

Been known to bake a fresh loaf and make a meal of it. Just slice and serve warm with plenty of butter.

Like you SD, I truly love bread and can make a meal out of it as well. Crusty fresh warm bread and butter.....heaven!

22 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

And al this time I thought my son-in-law invented that

Also versions with a scrambled egg in the hole.

And all this time I thought my son-in-law invented that.

He DOES have a great way for making plain old grilled cheese sandwiches, though..

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

@Forty Rod SASS 3935

What did you end up having?

Biscuits and gravy (see my lazy way to make them above) with bacon on the side, V8 juice with Tabasco, Worcestershire, horse radish, garlic, salt, and pepper, a small cup of commercial flan, OJ & AJ 50/50, and Ovaltine.

And what did you have?

If you tell me you got a frozen breakfast burrito I'll shoot you. 

21 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I never heard of putting anything on it, but have made it before.  When and how much worchestshire sauce do you put.  

Just a light splash, start small, you can always put a little bit more on.

I love the flavour!

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Biscuits and gravy (see my lazy way to make them above) with bacon on the side, V8 juice with Tabasco, Worcestershire, horse radish, garlic, salt, and pepper, a small cup of commercial flan, OJ & AJ 50/50, and Ovaltine.

And what did you have?

If you tell me you got a frozen breakfast burrito I'll shoot you. 

Sounds like a mighty nice breakfast!

I started off with two cups of black tea, two more eggs in the whole and finished off with a black coffee.

17 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You're gonna die if you don't get more to eat than that.  You need meat and vitamins, maybe tomatoes, and some dairy products.....like gravy.

Unfortunately I'm fat enough to live a whole long time without food :( 

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Unfortunately I'm fat enough to live a whole long time without food :( 

But, but, that ain't living.  That is existing.

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

18 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Like you SD, I truly love bread and can make a meal out of it as well. Crusty fresh warm bread and butter.....heaven!

One of the best meals I ever had was at some small town in the Sierra. There was a bakery about 200 yards from a small lake, still a few patches of snow on the ground.  A big loaf of sourdough, some butter, and some 2 year old extra sharp white cheddar.  And apples for dessert.  Made apple sandwiches :D.

11 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Well, if I ever get lost in the bush....I'll be the one that exists the longest (Donner party?) 

No, that means you would be the first to go.

Archived