SASS Wire Forum

Ah, the good old days?

The local Cabela's has very few guns so they have started filling the shelf space with miscellaneous knick knacks.  This was in the case where they would normally keep cap and ball guns.  Remember this?  It is at least 20 years old.  I have not seen or heard about Hunter in a long time.  Is he still around?  I remember years ago buying a VHS tape about how to shoot cowboy by the Durango Kid.  Unfortunately neither VHS or the Kid are around anymore.

IMG_1982.jpeg

Miss the Durango Kid here.He would put on some great shoots in Durango.We would get free rides on the Durango Silverton train.

We would go all dressed up & wearing our Hardware for the ride.Our pictures are probably all over the world.

The Mounted shooters would rob the train when it got to Silverton.GREAT TIMES.

Largo

Unfortunately Scott (Bounty Hunter) passed away quite some time back.

He was a personal friend. I have a copy of his book and VHS tapes. I actually came across an extra copy (new still in the plastic wrap) of the Top Shooter's Guide to the exciting sport of Cowboy Action Shooting on my book shelf.

Great times!

scott.thumb.jpg.1db5fd275e2d84f81a0d96062999e855.jpgPictures of the Bounty Hunter VHS tapes I have and a couple of other by SASS and Red River Drifter. 

sass.thumb.jpg.307c986a37e04940216a54fac8465c19.jpg

Looks to me like they were advertising the shooting till the Roy Rogers title came up.  Cover pictures are exciting.  Would make me read on.  It is about the shooting and friendships.  The spirit of competition among friends helping each other.  For me it is about the shooting; and the dress is part of it, not the other way around.  Sorry I stepped on your thread.  But I really believe this is the direction we need to go!!!   Thanks for sharing.  PS.   We would not have to buy awards for 30+ categories, ten deep, if our shooters did not feel they deserved an award for the competition.  Please note:  It says the exciting sport of CAS.  It is a sport if your into the competition and a great recreational activity if you love the dress and shooting the old firearms or any combination of both.  Love this sport!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The local Cabela's has very few guns so they have started filling the shelf space with miscellaneous knick knacks.  This was in the case where they would normally keep cap and ball guns.  Remember this?  It is at least 20 years old.  I have not seen or heard about Hunter in a long time.  Is he still around?  I remember years ago buying a VHS tape about how to shoot cowboy by the Durango Kid.  Unfortunately neither VHS or the Kid are around anymore.

IMG_1982.jpeg

Thank you for sharing.

On 10/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

IMG_1982.jpeg

Hey Larsen got three of his tapes plus one from the Durango Kid. Don't know if he is still around or not. Will try & find out./

The tapes I have of his are Introduction cowboy shooting  1 & 2, plus  The introduction one. Also have the tape from Durango Kid called speed & accuracy.

On 10/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, largo casey #19191 said:

Miss the Durango Kid here.He would put on some great shoots in Durango.We would get free rides on the Durango Silverton train.

We would go all dressed up & wearing our Hardware for the ride.Our pictures are probably all over the world.

The Mounted shooters would rob the train when it got to Silverton.GREAT TIMES.

Largo

Yes the Durango Kid sure did so. Miss that shoot

Jackrabbit Joe #414

A little trivia about Bounty Hunter and how he chose his alias. I was shooting the 1991 Durango Junction High Country Shootout. I'd been shooting CAS for about two years and managed to come in at 5th place. My alias was Josh Randall. Bounty Hunter came in at 6th. I did not know him at the time. After the top 10 were announced this guy, dressed to the nines, including batwing chaps, comes over to me and introduces himself. He tells me he wanted Josh Randall as his first choice alias, but settled on Bounty Hunter, Josh Randall's occupation.

Funny too that we share the same last name, though not related. Never shot with nor saw him again.

The Durango junction high country shootout put on by Durango Kid has been the Best  Match that I have been to in 25 yr, of SASS the Durango Silverton  train ride was something,     Bama KId

6 minutes ago, BAMAKID said:

The Durango junction high country shootout put on by Durango Kid has been the Best  Match that I have been to in 25 yr, of SASS the Durango Silverton  train ride was something,     Bama KId

I went back the next year (1992), did the train ride, stayed at the Strater. Good times. 

8 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

I went back the next year (1992), did the train ride, stayed at the Strater. Good times. 

Somewhere in a box I have the 1991 & 1992 Durango shoot t-shirts. I also have some great photos of me, Flint Westwood, Brimstone Cob and his son. If I recall correctly, 1991 is the year Flint gave Marshal Law his new alias "Puke Lipwalker". But what happens on the range, stays on the range! 

I have the book and at least one VHS video tape by Bounty Hunter.  Never had the privilege of talking to him in person, but I consider him a mentor.

So much has changed.

(sigh)

Those were the good old days for sure. Met Bounty Hunter in California at EOT. Great cowboy.

Enclosed is photo I took of him.Bounty Hunter.bmp

Bounty Hunter.bmp

Archived