SASS Wire Forum

Could someone explain this to me

Alpo

1248867915_IMG_20211011_155105520_HDR4.thumb.jpg.a5d8168a3bb6a4d3b7e9fa32999d8cba.jpg

See the exhaust pipe on that truck. Why? The man's got a pair of 2-inch exhaust pipes back to six or eight inches from the end of the pipe, and then it bulges out to four or five inches in diameter. What is the purpose of this?

To those of us that were raised in the muscle-car era, this is just a feeble attempt to look cool, and maybe make it sound like it really had some power.

We know better. 

But...having said that, I am glad most of us are still free to do what we want to, to try and make our vehicles look cool, and unique. 

9 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

To those of us that were raised in the muscle-car era, this is just a feeble attempt to look cool, and maybe make it sound like it really had some power.

We know better. 

But...having said that, I am glad most of us are still free to do what we want to, to try and make our vehicles look cool, and unique. 

It is a matter of personal taste, but when I hear a Honda Civic (4 door!) sounding like a really loud "raspberry" and I'm leaving it in the dust and not even accelerating hard... Really?

Two related stories:

1) Back in the late sixties, a friend had a '65 Mustang with a six cylinder engine. He installed a JC Whitney "dual exhaust" system which consisted of a flexible pipe and two exhausts!

2) A few years ago I saw a Toyota with two PVC pipes on each side just attached to the car, not the exhaust pipe, to make it look like a fancy exhaust system. Wish I had gotten a picture.:huh:

Isn’t it great that people are free to be goofballs, dipsticks and (pick a descriptor)?

I had friends that would do dumb stuff to make their cars appear to be something they weren’t. They had headers and glass packs installed on 6 cylinder engines with 2 barrel carbs and all manner of poor boy mods just to try and look cool. 
One friend had a 74 Plymouth Duster that had a 318 engine with an automatic transmission, but he tried to drive it and make it sound like he was shifting gears with a stick shift. He installed a Cyclone muffler on it with the factory manifolds just to make noise. The boy wasn’t wrapped real tight. He stopped doing his little shiftie maneuver when he messed up he transmission and had to pay several hundred bucks for repairs. 

14 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

'Cuz...  :rolleyes:

When I heard about it right after it happened, my first thought was, "Please don't let her be from Alabama."

Thanks Minnesota for making us look good.

I figure the loud mufflers on trucks is like the jacked up 4x4's that never see dirt roads- much less going actually off road.  They are trying to compensate for certain things that they are lacking.

The one trend I can't stand is the nose up in the air and the tail almost dragging the ground.  Not only does it look stupid but the driver can't see anything in front of him.

7 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

The one trend I can't stand is the nose up in the air and the tail almost dragging the ground.  Not only does it look stupid but the driver can't see anything in front of him.

I thought for a while the owner had just not got around to installing the rear lift kit. I've seen several recently more extreme than this:

8239b1da-c121-40f6-84a5-40d80260e8e5_zps

As a custom, I can understand this one:

dsc04857-jpg.159051

What I'm referring to is the top picture.

It's usually 4x4's with lift kits- but the added clearance they give is immediately counteracted by the back being down on the axles.  That pitches the nose up in the air and the front bumper a couple or 3 feet off the ground.  Like this one.

f5pdu1w4szc11.png

The lower picture on your post is just a low rider that happens to be a pick up.

1- He is "compensating."  

2- With carbureted engines, the theory was that you could reduce "back pressure" (not all of the exhaust escaping due to constrictions in the exhaust system) by making the exhaust larger.  With any back pressure, the carburetor cannot push in as much fuel/air mixture, so it reduces power.  While this *may* have some ring of truth, I would wager the bulk of back pressure was caused by the valves, not the exhaust pipes.  Still, they sold millions of oversized exhaust pipes to hotrodders over the years.  That said, IT DOES NOT WORK ON FUEL INJECTED ENGINES, because everything was designed to function correctly as designed. 

I still don't get the fascination with spinning rims, or 22" wheels leaving about 2" of sidewall. And I'd STILL like to see a custom car show take on a pick up and NOT say "Slam it to the ground". I have no interest in a vehicle that I'd have to rappel down into.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:48 PM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

1- He is "compensating."  

2- With carbureted engines, the theory was that you could reduce "back pressure" (not all of the exhaust escaping due to constrictions in the exhaust system) by making the exhaust larger.  With any back pressure, the carburetor cannot push in as much fuel/air mixture, so it reduces power.  While this *may* have some ring of truth, I would wager the bulk of back pressure was caused by the valves, not the exhaust pipes.  Still, they sold millions of oversized exhaust pipes to hotrodders over the years.  That said, IT DOES NOT WORK ON FUEL INJECTED ENGINES, because everything was designed to function correctly as designed. 

That is an incorrect over generalization.  Horsepower can be freed from fuel injected engines through lessening the exhaust restrictions.  Engines are rarely design to achieve maximum power.  Emissions and sound reduction often trump optimal power.  An engine is basically an air pump regardless of it's fuel supply.

Regardless of which of you two is right, how is the end of it helping? I could see if he had 6-inch pipes all the way from the exhaust manifold to the end, having less back pressure. But 2-inch pipes most of the way, and then expanding the 6-inch for the last little bit?

That's the part I don't get. Is that expansion of the last few inches supposed to do something, or is it just to look cool? And if it is supposed to do something, how?

8 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

That is an incorrect over generalization.  Horsepower can be freed from fuel injected engines through lessening the exhaust restrictions.  Engines are rarely design to achieve maximum power.  Emissions and sound reduction often trump optimal power.  An engine is basically an air pump regardless of it's fuel supply.

You don't read very well, I see.  I literally explained the "theory" and then highlighted that it "may" have a "ring of truth."  In other words, I was explaining what some believe without acknowledging that it's true.  There is literally no other way to read what I wrote.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:48 PM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

1- He is "compensating."  

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

You don't read very well, I see.  I literally explained the "theory" and then highlighted that it "may" have a "ring of truth."  In other words, I was explaining what some believe without acknowledging that it's true.  There is literally no other way to read what I wrote.

11 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Cyrus Cassidy #45437 That's odd, because I think I read "That said, IT DOES NOT WORK ON FUEL INJECTED ENGINES, because everything was designed to function correctly as designed" the exact same way @sassnetguy50did, with the same thoughts. I don't see where he wrote anything regarding your commentary on carburated engines. Seems you're more interested in defending what you wrote than reading for comprehension yourself?

On 10/12/2021 at 6:51 PM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

What I'm referring to is the top picture.

It's usually 4x4's with lift kits- but the added clearance they give is immediately counteracted by the back being down on the axles.  That pitches the nose up in the air and the front bumper a couple or 3 feet off the ground.  Like this one.

f5pdu1w4szc11.png

The lower picture on your post is just a low rider that happens to be a pick up.

Nose in the air and back way down. A number of years ago I went to Dallas with a friend to pick up 6 rolls of carpet. On the way back we looked like that. 

My friend mentioned that the steering was really easier than when we were empty. I told him no weight on the front that is why. 

It was a wonder we made it all the way back to McAlester, OK.

9 minutes ago, Irish Tom said:

I think they kinda go with these.

image.png.7b8d3cdc64dbe50945f392fc430cd4db.png

The truck would definitely need the handicapped parking spot if its front was lifted and back lowered like some of the above trucks!:wacko:

1 hour ago, Irish Tom said:

I think they kinda go with these.

image.png.7b8d3cdc64dbe50945f392fc430cd4db.png

Among the dumbest items known to man. If anyone here has them on their vehicle, I have no apologies. Anyone who puts something like that, or some of the other crude, inappropriate and suggestive things on their vehicles should be forced to describe what it is and what it means to their grandmothers, in graphic detail. 

On 10/11/2021 at 3:25 PM, Alpo said:

1248867915_IMG_20211011_155105520_HDR4.thumb.jpg.a5d8168a3bb6a4d3b7e9fa32999d8cba.jpg

See the exhaust pipe on that truck. Why? The man's got a pair of 2-inch exhaust pipes back to six or eight inches from the end of the pipe, and then it bulges out to four or five inches in diameter. What is the purpose of this?

The reason is that the sound basically starts at the end of the exhaust pipe and works its way forward.  Large tips give a deeper tone than the pipe in front of them.  It may not make a huge difference but it's not zero.  In my old age I've learned to like much quieter exhaust, but I still smile when I hear a nice deep gurgle from a V8.

Archived