SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 38/357 rifle

Col Del Rio

They are a very nice, lighter rifle made as a copy of the Winchester 92.

They can be slicked up quite nicely and are not difficult to maintain.  But since they are a Browning design, they are slightly more complicated than say a 1873 copy.  But still workable.

They are fun, but not usually quite as fast shooting as a 73 or 66 due in part because of the design with an angled elevator system.

They can be somewhat finicky with cartridge length.  Some want a longer cartridge so you can merely load a cartridge to match it.  By some work, most will work with any regular length cartridges either 38 Special or 357 Mag.

http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

There are some very good youtubes about them as well.

There are also some smiths that are very good with them if you need help.

Got one & slicker than owl crap. Won't part with it & a safe queen right now saving for Gran Daughter.

1 minute ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Got one & slicker than owl crap. Won't part with it & a safe queen right now saving for Gran Daughter.

DSCN6022.thumb.JPG.963c999c700cdc94b49c061973cb1bac.JPG

Have one in 44 Mag.   Neat little gun.    Runs great with proper length ammo       GW

I have one...they shoot well right out of the box but...they are rough as a cob.  I got mine used and it had been sent to Steve Young so it is fantastic!  I have more expensive rifles and faster rifles but the Steve Young Rossi is honestly the best lever I own at this time.  Great shooter in 44 and lighter than some of my higher quality guns.  I love it!

I have one of the early Interarms imported Rossi 92’s. It’s my main match gun. It’s very slick and I have had no issues once I found the right cartridge length and bullet noses.  It really likes the Lee 125 RF and also does well with a TC bullet. Keep the OAL at around 1.535” and it doesn’t care whether it’s 38 or 357 brass. Just load to that length and crimp where it may. Usually right at the top of the lube groove. 
I like it so much I bought a Browning B92 to keep it company. I like the old Rossi better though. 

Sam Sackett 

There are some stainless models that would be resistant to rust in humid air.  NKJ did an action job on mine and I love it for long range, pistol caliber matches.  I don't shoot BP in it.  I have rifles that disassemble easier for cleaning.

I always have one. Have slicked up many for  cas, hunting, or defense. They hold up great for long term use, accuracy, and action strength. Not the fastest for cas anymore but viable. I mostly shoot mine with bp subs in SASS matches. They can be fitted to use a specific range of ammo specs if needed.

Joe West

I had a Browning B92 .357 several years ago, but it would choke on anything shorter than the standard 1.59" - .38's would work, as long as the bullet was seated out to an OAL of ~1.59". I sold it to somebody here over fifteen years ago, and bought two Rossi '92 .357's with the proceeds. Both shoot 125 grain .38's without a hiccup. One was very slick, and had obviously been worked by someone who knew what they were doing. My daughter shot it for several years when she was involved with CAS, and the only problem was a broken firing pin one time. After her first year, she could shoot circles around me with that thing. :lol: I've also had a couple in .45 Colt (One being my first CAS rifle), four .44-40's and a .44 magnum, and they've all been perfectly fine rifles.

21 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

Greetings,

Who has experience with the Rossi 38/357 rifle? Are they reliable? How hard are they to maintain?  

Thanks,

Col. Del Rio

Reliable? Yes. Easy to maintain? Yes. They can be slicked up to be very smooth, but they can not be short stroked. They are very OAL sensitive, but that is not a problem. I load a .38 special to 1.52" with a 147 gr. TC bullet. 

Archived