SASS Wire Forum

What old west rifle would you like to see reproduced so you can use it as a main match one?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

There are a lot of rifles that existed back in the day that, if you happened own one, you could use it as a main match rifle.    But unlike various Winchesters, Marlins, and Colts, they are no longer in production, and have never been reproduced by a clone maker.

Let's, just for the sake of discussion, that a quality replica of these things could be reproduced for a price comparable to a reproduction 73.

What would you like to see make a comeback like this?

I'd like to see the Marlin that has top eject.  The Model 1888 if I recall correctly.  

Anyone agree, or would like to see something else?

Colt Burgess. I know Uberti made them for a while and have one in 44WCF. This time I'd love for them to be made with a shorter stroke, more competitive, and offer them in .38 spl.

Evans Rifle. I aint a very good shot!  ^_^

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Colt Burgess. I know Uberti made them for a while and have one in 44WCF. This time I'd love for them to be made with a shorter stroke, more competitive, and offer them in .38 spl.

moved to where intended

15 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

An 1873 Winchester Cowboy Special would be fitted to optimally shoot 38 Special, short stroked and with minimal springs, game-ready right from the box. There would also be a junior size for smaller ladies and for youngsters. Barrel and tube length would be only long enough for 10 rounds of 38 Special. I share this without any notion that it could actually happen. Ammo could be crimped in the groove at standard COL and function perfectly, which means one could use commercially loaded ammo.

Yeah but I was talking about an 1883 Colt Burgess Replica

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

There are a lot of rifles that existed back in the day that, if you happened own one, you could use it as a main match rifle.    But unlike various Winchesters, Marlins, and Colts, they are no longer in production, and have never been reproduced by a clone maker.

Let's, just for the sake of discussion, that a quality replica of these things could be reproduced for a price comparable to a reproduction 73.

What would you like to see make a comeback like this?

I'd like to see the Marlin that has top eject.  The Model 1881 if I recall correctly.  

Anyone agree, or would like to see something else?

An 1873 Winchester Cowboy Special would be fitted to optimally shoot 38 Special, short stroked and with minimal springs, game-ready right from the box. There would also be a junior size for smaller ladies and for youngsters. Barrel and tube length would be only long enough for 10 rounds of 38 Special. I share this without any notion that it could actually happen. Ammo could be crimped in the groove at standard COL and function perfectly, which means one could use commercially loaded ammo.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yeah but I was talking about an 1883 Colt Burgess Replica

Not meant for you. I moved it to the OP.

I would love to see Ruger bring out a Colt Lightning replica with their ruggedness in the action. I know, I know, it has been made [and I guess Pedersoli is gonna make em again].

2 hours ago, July Smith said:

An 1860 Henry in 44 Russian.  While we are dreaming we might was make it a short frame/receiver as close to the original Henry/66 frame as possible. 

Or better yet, a Volcanic in 44 Russian.  :)

Dixie has the rifle, and carbine, Burgess in stock, and for sale. I have no idea if Uberti has stopped making them, but the Dixie website shows them in stock, in .44 w.c.f.

I'd like to see a '66 S.R.C., in .44 Colt/Russian. I know there are ways of modifying a .44 special '66 to make this, but I'd like to see a factory version out there for sale.

I'd like to see a "Lightning" pump-action carbine, in .38 w.c.f.

9 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I would love to see Ruger bring out a Colt Lightning replica with their ruggedness in the action. I know, I know, it has been made [and I guess Pedersoli is gonna make em again].

So so far, we seen Marlin 1888, Evans and Volcanic.   

I had not thought of the Volcanic.  I usually think of it as a pistol, but yeah, the rifle was kinda neat as well.  That would be a good one.

Everything else mentioned has already been reproduced, just not in specific configurations.  That doesn't count!  :)

A gunsmith actually made a Volcanic rifle, from scratch!  Since the Volcanic Rocket Ball Ammo is no longer in production, (but he wanted to keep the idea of the original short 40 cal.)  So he used a shorted 40 S&W.   The results were quite nice!

https://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2010/02/40-caliber-volcanic-rifle-by-charlie.html?fbclid=IwAR22BLu6FdW0zr1jLPe0kryrfLnuQ8k9CrLtGra400EL0_HAX7GalrW3w1w

16 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I knew a shooter that had a Winchester 1873 Musket that I thought was pretty cool.  I'd be pretty tempted if somebody were to market a copy of those.  Or if I could find an original that I could afford, that would be even better.

Angus

Uberti has made the 73 and 66 muskets in the past.  Sold like petrified buffalo chipss so they discontinued them.  Heavy as heck too.  Had one of each.  With targets being so close these days you would have to take the bayonet off or you would knock over the targets.

Uberti 1866 musket.

IMG_3363.JPG.f15788f790f037796a9cee09403eab2e.JPG

8 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Uberti has made the 73 and 66 muskets in the past.  Sold like petrified buffalo chipss so they discontinued them.  Heavy as heck too.  Had one of each.  With targets being so close these days you would have to take the bayonet off or you would knock over the targets.

Did they come with the bayonets?   Wish I'd known you wanted to get rid of 'em.  :)

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Whitney Kennedy in 44-40!

image.png.16c5ae2e025dbcc490d523f9395b1e65.png

Now that's a cool looking rifle!

10 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Uberti 1866 musket.

IMG_3363.JPG.f15788f790f037796a9cee09403eab2e.JPG

If you ever see another one, let me know!

How about a Bullard? I had never heard of rifle until I read the story. They cost $38 compared to $25 for a Winchester bug were supposed to be a outstanding rifle that went out of business quick. Irish ☘️ Pat

1430DA9E-F308-492E-A53B-50B074798475.jpeg

E36F65CB-8D19-4E92-B5FB-3DB2EF4DFBAD.jpeg

8763AF53-6E87-4F07-9583-B1A4D34E5C1E.jpeg

I occasionally shoot this 1873 Winchester Musket made in 1891. I have attached a bayonet (I have two) at times.

image.thumb.png.d90c4ce41eb873fd0e226c9e370d5fa2.png

I also have a Uberti 1873 Musket (stock photo).

image.thumb.png.fbfe6dd40091bfd33bf417ddeefe662b.png

Back in 2012, there was a thread on the SASS wire on the number of Uberti 1873 Muskets imported to the US. The information available at the time indicated that there were around six! We could account for four in SASS - Larsen's, Mad Dane, Flat Water Bob and mine.

25 minutes ago, Hendo said:

How about a Spencer in 38/357?

We could make 10 fit, right?

Probably not. I have a Spencer in 44 Russian. It will hold nine. The OAL of the 44 Russian is 1.165. A 38 is 1.160. 

33 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Probably not. I have a Spencer in 44 Russian. It will hold nine. The OAL of the 44 Russian is 1.165. A 38 is 1.160. 

I knew I should've added this guy :ph34r: to my reply.

One can dream, though. It would be fun. Slow, but fun. 

9 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Whitney Kennedy in 44-40!

image.png.16c5ae2e025dbcc490d523f9395b1e65.png

I love the double set trigger on this rifle! 

8 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Now that's a cool looking rifle!

41 minutes ago, Ethan Cord said:

I love the double set trigger on this rifle! 

Then how about this Whitney Kennedy. Talk about loooong stroke!:D

image.png.021fe4c140f377b10d2697dc4060a5e4.png

But no set trigger.

9 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Then how about this Whitney Kennedy. Talk about loooong stroke!:D

image.png.021fe4c140f377b10d2697dc4060a5e4.png

But no set trigger.

I love original period equipment that has actually "been there and done that!" I shoot some of my original stuff in SASS for just that reason. That said, the extra long strokes and stoke factory actions would not be preferred by today's stand and deliver Cowboy Action Shooters. Back in the day, the action in "Cowboy Action Shooting" was all about movement onto various old west props, through buildings, running to the next shooting station, etc. These days, I guess it's all about super short stroke actions on revolvers and rifles so one does not tire out the thumbs and wrists. :-) 

The game has changed, it is still fun, but much different than when you only needed one six-shooter and action was key.

FYI, many of us were shooting original guns because there were not many viable "reproductions" available yet. 

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

How about a Spencer in 38/357?

We could make 10 fit, right?

3 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Maybe lengthen the buttstock by a couple inches?

18 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

How long are your arms? :)

Well, I have finally quit dragging my knuckles when I'm walking...

Archived