SASS Wire Forum

Two part breakfast question, (Alpoesque)

Part one: Why is it when you eat at home, a bowl of oatmeal fills you up fairly well, but when you eat out, it takes two eggs, 'taters, biscuits and gravy, AND a chicken fried steak to do the job?

Part two: Why is it that in the last twenty years or so, Belgian waffles have taken the place of regular, (small hole) waffles EXCEPT at Waffle House? You can't even BUY a waffle iron with small holes unless you find an old one on ebay.

10 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Part one: Why is it when you eat at home, a bowl of oatmeal fills you up fairly well, but when you eat out, it takes two eggs, 'taters, biscuits and gravy, AND a chicken fried steak to do the job?

Going out to breakfast is a treat and you expect to be pampered. Plus you don't have to fix it or do the cleaning.

Also I suspect that you sit chatting with people when you go out, so you sit and nosh longer. 

For me it doesn't matter, Saturdays I make a large breakfast, usually some lash-up of potatoes, onions, some sort of meat, and eggs  Frittamble? Scrambtatta? often rolling it up in a flour tortilla.

20 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Part two: Why is it that in the last twenty years or so, Belgian waffles have taken the place of regular, (small hole) waffles EXCEPT at Waffle House? You can't even BUY a waffle iron with small holes unless you find an old one on ebay.

Lord knows!  Most seem to be the bastard child of regular waffle irons and Belgian waffle irons.  And none of them get decently hot. Unless you shell out big bucks for an industrial sized iron.

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Oh, but you can.

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So, that is what the difference is, Belgium waffles have the big holes?

From the Seattle Times:

What’s the difference between a regular waffle and a Belgium waffle?

Tips on waffle differences.

Q. What is the difference between waffles and Belgium waffles?

A. Belgian waffles have deeper pockets than American-style waffles, which makes them great for holding lots of little pools of syrup. The texture is also lighter and crispier.

To make a Belgian waffle, you need a waffle iron with a deeper, larger grid pattern. Most Belgian waffle recipes are yeast-based, to get that crispy texture. But you also can use a waffle batter that uses beaten egg whites for lightness.

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

You can't even BUY a waffle iron with small holes unless you find an old one on ebay.

Well, these may or not be what you’re looking for:

ZZ Double Heart Waffle Maker with Non-Stick Plate 1200W, Black/Silver https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01H6HC868/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZVS1K27E3N1NENDN26HS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Dash Multi Mini Waffle Maker: Four Waffle, Multi Mini Waffle Maker Machine, Perfect for Families and Individuals, 4 Inch Dual Non-stick Sides with Quick Release & Easy Clean + Waffle Sticks - Graphite https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08P3RQ86F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_65K4WFCCGFFJ2B8J2J40

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

From the Seattle Times:

What’s the difference between a regular waffle and a Belgium waffle?

Tips on waffle differences.

Q. What is the difference between waffles and Belgium waffles?

A. Belgian waffles have deeper pockets than American-style waffles, which makes them great for holding lots of little pools of syrup. The texture is also lighter and crispier.

To make a Belgian waffle, you need a waffle iron with a deeper, larger grid pattern. Most Belgian waffle recipes are yeast-based, to get that crispy texture. But you also can use a waffle batter that uses beaten egg whites for lightness.

Thank you. 

I think I am with the Sarge on this one. I like “regular” waffles more than Belgium. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

'Cause you don't have the time or want to have to clean up the mess of cooking the eggs, frying the taters and the steak, baking the biscuits, and making the gravy.

Oatmeal?  (Shudder!)

Really?  On purpose?  And you're not under duress?

Guys I appreciate all the links. I HAVE an older waffle iron that does what I want. I was merely commenting that they are relatively hard to find. Going to any department or grocery store you only find Belgian Waffle Makers. 

And as for oatmeal, yeah. I like the stuff. Especially with peanut butter in it.B)

44 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

And as for oatmeal, yeah. I like the stuff. Especially with peanut butter in it.

That's weird! 

I'll have to try it.  Maybe with some apricot jam.

Both my wife and I like waffles.  But without a couple of irons it takes half an hour to cook up one small batch of batter.

Archived