SASS Wire Forum

Eyes getting older, consider tri-focals

DeaconKC

When I was younger I had superb vision and of course took it for granted. As the years have caught up with me, my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. Went from reading glasses, eventually to bifocals, but was annoyed at trying to get a good sight picture again. Even tried contacts, but never could get them right either. Finally had my optometrist fit me with tri-focals with the center section focused where my front sight is clear again. I got the industrial rated lenses for safety too. I am no longer frustrated and it is much, MUCH easier to see the sights. Clear it with your Doc first and bring a dummy gun in with you so they can see where you need the focus point.

The only drawback is I have one less thing to blame misses on...

9 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

…The only drawback is I have one less thing to blame misses on...

I blame all of my misses on bad target placement.

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

The only drawback is I have one less thing to blame misses on

My misses at the Tennessee State Championship this weekend were due to gun malfunctions, Seems like I had a Loose Nut Behind The Trigger!!:D

Randy 

I've worn trifocals for 12 years since I was 60.  Last year I bought Wiley X wrap around frames and had custom lenses put in them with only my mid-range prescription, set for my rifle sight distance.   They are perfect.  Sights are crystal clear, but targets start becomming increasingly fuzzy with distance.  That is how it should be.   Focus should be on the sights.   Having one uniform lense eliminates the jumping around of the targets (and stairs) with different head positions.  

Progressive lenses work OK for me, they won't clear up the beginning of cataracts, but once your brain gets used to them, they do work. I use them for shooting, and honestly can't blame the misses on the glasses. I find that if the sights are not pointed at the target when the trigger is pulled, the bullet usually does not hit the target.

It was a bit of a struggle getting used to them, "New users can experience dizziness or even nausea until they get used to them." And that was my problem. In addition, straight lines do not look straight. I found trifocals got too busy, and in order to work you needed big lenses, which make me look older than I want to look. 

1833947850_Smilingafteragoodround.thumb.jpg.52811536f66746d7192b0326e06abd67.jpg

I'm with  @Dusty Devil Dale- I have a pair of prescription safety glasses (also WileyX) with an intermediate prescription.  I put them on at the loading table and switch back to my regular prescription safety glasses (also WileyX but with lined bifocals) after a stage.  The front sights of all guns are clear but things at distance are a little blurry.  No problems, for me, negotiating stairs or props.

18 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I'm with  @Dusty Devil Dale- I have a pair of prescription safety glasses (also WileyX) with an intermediate prescription.  I put them on at the loading table and switch back to my regular prescription safety glasses (also WileyX but with lined bifocals) after a stage.  The front sights of all guns are clear but things at distance are a little blurry.  No problems, for me, negotiating stairs or props.

When I got my first bifocals, 20 some years ago,  I left the optometrists office and fell on the stairs outside, sending the new glasses skidding across the concrete.   The stairs were not where they were supposed to be, and they moved as my head changed positions.  I takes a few minutes of learning, first time out of the chute.  

I used SSP Eyewear shooting glasses with 3X left eye lens & 1X in right.  I changed the left lens to 1.25X after cataract surgery in both eyes this summer.   I wanted lenses that are optimized for distance; so I only have to use readers for computer & reading.

P.S.  I no longer need a red dot or scope with illuminated reticle to hit a target early in morning or in the evening.

Been wearing glasses since the 2nd or 3rd grade.    Started wearing bifocals in my early 40's.  Started trifocals about 2 years ago at the age of 52.  Adjusted to them almost right away.   I aim through the "top" section.  Front sight is clear.   Rear is a little fuzzy, but not badly so.

I went to my Doctor and told him what i do . And what i needed. 

He told me that he makes glasses for police officers, and he knew what i needed.

He took my Reading and Distance , and combined them .

I can read and see at ba Distance with no problem.

Been around 20 yrs now.

Archived