SASS Wire Forum

Anyone ever used Aquila ammo?

Buckshot Bear

The SSS - super sniper special - supposedly will let you use a big heavy bullet, subsonic, through your suppressor and get accuracy and punch with no sound.

In my experience - I bought a brick of it when it came out - 22s have a rifling twist that likes a 35 to 40 grain bullet at between 12 and 1400 ft per second. This thing uses a 60 grain bullet at about 800.

I tried it in about seven different guns - rifles and pistols both. Keyholes everywhere. The bullets would not stabilize.

Their other stuff - subsonic long rifle, High velocity Long Rifle, colibri, super colibri and the mini shotgun shells all worked fine. The SSS - well if you had one of those little North American miniature revolvers, and you weren't really worried about accuracy, but we're thinking about hitting the bad guy hard at "get off me" range - would probably work good. Would not matter if they keyholed. As long as they still hit him.

But y'all probably can't have one of those little bitty guns, can you?

Very good product and usually at a fair price too .

23 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Are the mini shells shot or slugs?

Yes.

If memory serves they came in three types. 7½ shot. A mixed load of buckshot - seven balls of #4 buck and 4 balls of #1 . And a ⅞-ounce slug.

12 gauge only.

I really like Aguila .22 ammo.

@J-BAR #18287 is correct. The Colibri ammo is very quiet and I can attest that out of my .22 single shot Savage that it will kill rats and squirrels. 

The “Interceptor” ammo is very accurate from my S&W model 17 Andy Ruger 10/22 and my Savage single shot. 

@Buckshot Bear

The offerings on your post are not all Aguila has to offer, but maybe this is what they are importing now to Australia. 

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

.... well if you had one of those little North American miniature revolvers, and you weren't really worried about accuracy, but we're thinking about hitting the bad guy hard at "get off me" range - would probably work good. Would not matter if they keyholed. As long as they still hit him.

But y'all probably can't have one of those little bitty guns, can you?

Nope .... not in cartridge guns ..... nor mufflers neither ........   :(

BUT, I do own and possess a legally registered NAA cap'n'ball mini revolver based on their 22mag model ......... very fiddly .......   :)

Yeah. When they first came out with those itty bitty critters, lo these many years ago, I bought a box of each.

I shot a few of each, but they will not feed through a Remington 870. When they came out with them they said that they worked great in a Mossberg, and some Winchester would feed them. But Remington's would not. Amazingly they told the truth in their advertising blurb - at least so far as Remington.

They work okay in a double, but they are so short they are difficult to load quickly. And also being so short, they have very little weight as an empty shell, and don't eject with a quick flick of the wrist, like an empty 2 and 3/4 shell does.

Then they tended to walk away. I have a few of the shot shells left, but none of the slugs and none of the buckshot. And I know I didn't shoot them all. I believe "friends" took some as souvenirs.

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748

Pat it seems to be getting into the gun shops down here -

I see you can also get the Aguila “Super Extra” ammo as well. That is a good one. Believe it or not the all lead round and the CP (copper plated) rounds both are 38 grain loads and both clock at 1235 feet per second (going by memory here) but one is a little more accurate in my guns than the other. Trouble is I cannot remember which was better. It wasn’t better by a great deal in group size but it was still better. 

I have a Sig 522 rifle w/ 20 inch barrel and the Aguila Interceptors work great in that thing ... (the Interceptors go 1400+fps) ... Still have a few 500 round bricks of the stuff from Midway. 

The 60gr snipers really need a barrel w/ a fast twist .. 8-9-10/1 or in some cases a little slower ... but the 14+ found in most 22s is a little too slow and they will tumble ...

It works very well out of my Ruger MK4, Marlin model 60, Ruger Wrangler and Henry Lever gun 

On 10/9/2021 at 11:01 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

$29 or $44 for a pack of 20 shotshells is a  little  whole lot more than I'm usually willing to pay ......   :(

Yeah but that is in Australian money.  It is only about 80 Centavos in Mexican money.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:01 PM, Fence Cutter said:

Heap good medicine that fills the air with the smell of rotten eggs.

Had a green chili burrito for lunch.  Same effect.

The colibri’s are scary quiet. The hammer drop on my Win model 90 pump is louder than the report. Great for pest control with nosey neighbors  :ph34r:  

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Yeah but that is in Australian money.  It is only about 80 Centavos in Mexican money.

Had a green chili burrito for lunch.  Same effect.

..... I cain't afford Mexican money .....   :(

Archived