SASS Wire Forum

Josey Wales 2021

Warden Callaway

It was our last match of the season.  I had to shoot Josey Wales again. I didn't expect a clean match or fast times so I wasn't disappointed.  This year I changed it up a bit and shot five 44WCF - all loaded with BlackMZ and 200g Lee bullet. 

99896311_Five44WCFOct2021.jpg.0d66f1b294c23938e3bfba08d4f7b8fa.jpg

The task was made more interesting in the mix of guns. Two on left are Smoke Wagons with lowered hammers.  The center is a Sheriff's model that I used on shotgun targets.  The nickel is a first generation Colt Frontier Six Shooter made in 1881. The far right is my Cimarron S&W American. 

I missed several on first four stages.  But shot the last two stages clean.   I'm thinking all my misses were on rifle targets.  They were set w a y out there.  My times on the last two stages were as good as I likely shot with rifle, pistol and shotgun. 

I shot the Sandusky 3-day match in September with 5 cap guns!

TOO MUCH FUN!

--Dawg

24 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

It was our last match of the season.  I had to shoot Josey Wales again. I didn't expect a clean match or fast times so I wasn't disappointed.  This year I changed it up a bit and shot five 44WCF - all loaded with BlackMZ and 200g Lee bullet. 

The task was made more interesting in the mix of guns. Two on left are Smoke Wagons with lowered hammers.  The center is a Sheriff's model that I used on shotgun targets.  The nickel is a first generation Colt Frontier Six Shooter made in 1881. The far right is my Cimarron S&W American. 

I missed several on first four stages.  But shot the last two stages clean.   I'm thinking all my misses were on rifle targets.  They were set w a y out there.  My times on the last two stages were as good as I likely shot with rifle, pistol and shotgun. 

The Colt Frontier is gorgeous!  I'm envious!

59 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

T shot the Sandusky 3-day match in September with 5 cap guns!

TOO MUCH FUN!

--Dawg

I have enough cap guns but at the rate I reload them, I'd never make it. Maybe bring them loaded and shoot one stage?

40 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The Colt Frontier is gorgeous!  I'm envious!

Just to think Jesse James was still alive when this gun existed. 

Warden -- I always load them Friday afternoon for the first stage on Saturday.

I usually have chores to do for the shoot, so I can get right to them.

I load the cylinder off the gun, & it usually takes 2-3 shooters per gun.

--Dawg

6 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Warden -- I always load them Friday afternoon for the first stage on Saturday.

I usually have chores to do for the shoot, so I can get right to them.

I load the cylinder off the gun, & it usually takes 2-3 shooters per gun.

--Dawg

We had 12 on the posse today. 5 guns x 2 or 3shooters/gun = all I'd would be doing is loading.  and I probably wouldn't be as fast as you are.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I have enough cap guns but at the rate I reload them, I'd never make it. Maybe bring them loaded and shoot one stage?

Just to think Jesse James was still alive when this gun existed. 

!!!!!!  It just grew hugely in attractiveness.  What a treasure!

I talk with people about cleaning guns that have been shooting black powder. "Too much work.", they say. I watch videos of people cleaning with all kinds of stinky stuff. I just run a brush through them under a stream of hot water in the kitchen sink. 

1248964555_CleanhandgunsOct2021.jpg.a85302e094f727aeab35b766e37e42fd.jpg

I wipe them down and lay them out for a few hours.  Then go over them again and inspect.  Coat with Thompson's Bore Butter. Done.

I have always been surprised and never understood the clubs that shut down for half the year. Any particular reason why? I shoot in Branson with the Bear Creek Volunteers and we shoot year round. I guess part of it is that we are set up for it with decks and covered stages. When it gets cool we pull out propane heaters. 

I have to agree about the clean up, Capt Baylor's Windex with Vinegar makes it a snap. I think my wife would beat me if I put them in the dishrack.

OK, I'm going to admit this, only once here, just in case somebody is contemplating doing it.  (the drying rack in the photo reminded me)

Just as an experiment, I once took one of my stainless steel NMVs, removed the wood grips, and put the otherwise fully assembled gun through the hot cycle of the dishwasher (not the kitchen one, but another that I used to keep hooked up outside my shop for parts cleaning.)  The gun came out spotless after shooting smokeless powder.  When I put a patch soaked in Hoppes down the bore, zero lead fouling came out.   

BUT -  the Cascade dishwasher detergent dulled the SS finish, compared to the other gun in the pair, necessitating re-buffing and then re-cleaning to get the buffing compound wax off.   The heat did nothing to the springs.   I am glad it was not a blued or painted gun though.  

We live and learn. 

But I've cleaned many metal engine parts and saltwater fishing reels that way before and it works really well.  I've even used the COLD cycle to get spilled, dried soda pop out of a computer keyboard. 

Caked grease and powder residue are no match for hot detergent.  

1 hour ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

I have always been surprised and never understood the clubs that shut down for half the year. Any particular reason why?

The major reason in our case is DEER SEASON!  The gun club has some 200 members but only a handful are cowboy action shooters. Some do hunt the gunclub property.  With all the archery, youth, muzzle loader,  after season doe hunts, it runs well into winter. Some come and camp out on the grounds.  They have a long beam setup with pulleys to hang deer and dress them out. They get together and boast and brag. Sight in their rifles after they missed the 30pt buck.

it's not that we're disturbing the stupid deer. More than once we've had deer saunder through our range while we're shooting. 

We start up in spring turkey season. Often someone will hear us setting up and come out of the woods. 

3 hours ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

I have always been surprised and never understood the clubs that shut down for half the year. Any particular reason why? I shoot in Branson with the Bear Creek Volunteers and we shoot year round. I guess part of it is that we are set up for it with decks and covered stages. When it gets cool we pull out propane heaters. 

I have to agree about the clean up, Capt Baylor's Windex with Vinegar makes it a snap. I think my wife would beat me if I put them in the dishrack.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

The major reason in our case is DEER SEASON!  The gun club has some 200 members but only a handful are cowboy action shooters. Some do hunt the gunclub property.  With all the archery, youth, muzzle loader,  after season doe hunts, it runs well into winter. Some come and camp out on the grounds.  They have a long beam setup with pulleys to hang deer and dress them out. They get together and boast and brag. Sight in their rifles after they missed the 30pt buck.

it's not that we're disturbing the stupid deer. More than once we've had deer saunder through our range while we're shooting. 

We start up in spring turkey season. Often someone will hear us setting up and come out of the woods. 

Beyond the facts Warden stated, as someone who shoots at both ranges, I will add that Hooterville's more northerly latitude and open stage design versus Bear Creek's enclosable boardwalk would make winter shoots a challenge.

20 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Warden loaned me the old Colt for one stage.  It's real smooth, too.  I get a big kick out of holding and shooting old guns like this.  The history they've been through fascinates me.

Angus

5 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Warden loaned me the old Colt for one stage.  It's real smooth, too.  I get a big kick out of holding and shooting old guns like this.  The history they've been through fascinates me.

Angus

Also, my Uberi S&W American #3. He shot the stage clean. 

Mountain Oysters Gang in Higginville, MO had their last match of the year last weekend.  

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Also, my Uberi S&W American #3. He shot the stage clean. 

Mountain Oysters Gang in Higginville, MO had their last match of the year last weekend.  

"Black Angels"?  I think Otto Kerrect got you.  :D

I may need to get myself a couple .44-40 pistols so I can try those new fangled cartridge guns for a full match.  Some of ya'll may have noticed they don't fit in my holsters real well.

The S&W copy was fun, too.  I think it might take a little practice to get real comfortable with the hammer, tho.

I was doing good with the rifle until I lost sight of the white targets behind all the smoke.  If I don't have to switch targets I'm usually ok just shooting where I last saw the target.  It's when I have to find the next target I've got troubles.  (Gotta admit, that's a big part of the fun shooting BP)

Dang, that Colt was smooth.

Black Angus McPherson

I usually get to finishing up and putting away my guns after breakfast.  But yesterday was such a nice day I decided to work around the farm. 

69500654_Cleanhandgunsphase2Oct2021.jpg.c9f4fc8833862df759dffedfd40dcb5a.jpg

So they staid on the dinning room table until this morning. In an assembly line fashion,  I ran a brush  through the bores and chambers. Brushed around cylinder opening - giving the forcing cone area extra attention.  Then ran a jag with patch with small dab of Thompson's Bore Butter.  I used the same patch to wipe down all metal parts. Small drop of Mobil 1 on base pins and cylinder bushing. Reassemble.  Done.

Archived