SASS Wire Forum

Sorry rotten scammers

Hoss

A new shooter at our club, (has shot a couple of matches with borrowed guns) recently posted a WTB ad on a SASS FB page. Some sorry sack of cow dung just happened to have the pair of vaqueros Tom was Looking for. He bought them.  Sent payment  via papal friends or Family. Waited anxiously for his pistols to arrive.  Of course they didn’t. He contacted seller, seller said prices had gone up, he needed another $700. Fortunately Tom figured out he was being scammed. 

moral if the story. Only buy from genuine businesses, or SASS members that you know, or at a minimum know somebody who knows them.  Don’t use PayPal F&F as there is no recourse. (Of course, PayPal didn’t do guns anyway)  

now for the positive side. After the match we passed the hat, raised almost $200. We are going to try to raise the money to help him get guns.  if you know anybody with a pair of vaqueros in 38 at a reasonable price, let me know. If you would like to help Tom out with the cost PM me. 

thanks ! 

Did I mention he is a Desert a storm vet, who then put in several years as a corrections officer, and is now on disability? 

I don't use FB for anything .

I take it you don't need to be a SASS Member to post thing for sale on the SASS FB page ?

So Sorry  to hear about Tom's loss.

Every real SASS member I have ever delt with has been easy to deal with.

I pray that that's the way things go for Tom and all other cowboys and cowgals that does business with real SASS members 

So Saith The Rooster

Correct. 
ive never been burned on SASSWIRE, but I’d be very wary of dealing with a total stranger on FB. But if they have a SASS Alias/#, I feel pretty comfortable. Chances are I’ll know them, or know somebody that knows Them. 

43 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I have some reasonable Hombres in 357 if that helps. 

I’ll let him know JB. I’m hopeful we can raise the funding to get him a pair of pistols. 

The dude was posing as a Gun Store.  He has the pictures and everything.  He would even send you a real store's FFL# if you asked for it.

But he only took forms of payment that left no recourse if something went wrong.  His prices were ridiculously low in today's market, 1300.00 a pair.  Anybody asked, he said "Sure, I have them in stock!"  Which of course, was a lie.  

He was banned from every FB page I know of fairly quickly, but Tom got stung.  Of course, if he really was a dealer and found out the price he was asking wouldn't get the guns ordered, he would have returned the funds when the buyer said he didn't have the money.  Nope.  He kept it.

There are even posts on his page calling him a fraud.  If an online store won't take a credit card, pass it on it.

It isn't just tough luck when people get stung in this way.  Most states will follow up and arrest the scammer for business and  professions fraud.   Usually it brings heavy fines, plus required restitution.  In some States conviction----> incarceration. 

But if the perpetrator happens to be operating from California, Governor Nuisance will pardon him next week to get him back out scamming people -- next day if he's a convicted violent felon. (Pls don't let that divert the orig thread, looking for help)

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

A new shooter at our club, (has shot a couple of matches with borrowed guns) recently posted a WTB ad on a SASS FB page. Some sorry sack of cow dung just happened to have the odor if vaqueros Tom was Looking for. He bought them.  Sent omg via papacy friends or Family. Waited anxiously for his pistols to arrive.  Of course they didn’t. He contacted seller, seller said prices had gone up, he needed another $700. Fortunately Tom figured out he was being scammed. 

miral if the story. Only buy from genuine businesses, or SASS members that you know, or at a minimum know somebody who knows them.  Don’t use PayPal F&F as there is no recourse. (Of course, PayPal didn’t do guns anyway)  my opinion. 

now for the positive side. After the match we passed the hat, raised almost $200. We are going to try to raise the money to help him get guns.  if you know anybody with a pair of vaqueros in 38 at a reasonable price, let me know. If you would like to help Tom out with the cost PM me. 

thanks ! 

Did I mention he is a Desert a storm vet, who then put in several years as a corrections officer, and is now on disability? 

Hoss,

When I look up "Brian Worley" and Chattanooga, TN I get 

BW GUN ENVY
8133 East Brainerd Rd
Chattanooga, TN 37421
Telephone: 423-320-6620

When I plug that into Boogle Maps, I get Walmart's parking lot.  But, has Tom called him and told him that he can't place an order and to return his funds?

(I'm sure he must have, but just asking).

The next step is to contact the TN AG's office...  I don't know if "Brian Worley" is, in fact, in TN or if there really is a store, or if the store is even his.

6 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Hoss,

When I look up "Brian Worley" and Chattanooga, TN I get 

BW GUN ENVY
8133 East Brainerd Rd
Chattanooga, TN 37421
Telephone: 423-320-6620

When I plug that into Boogle Maps, I get Walmart's parking lot.  But, has Tom called him and told him that he can't place an order and to return his funds?

(I'm sure he must have, but just asking).

The next step is to contact the TN AG's office...  I don't know if "Brian Worley" is, in fact, in TN or if there really is a store, or if the store is even his.

Yup, that’s him. Tom has called and made a police report.  Doubtful he will get any money back. But maybe can scare the skunk and he won’t scam anybody else. 

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yup, that’s him. Tom has called and made a police report.  Doubtful he will get any money back. But maybe can scare the skunk and he won’t scam anybody else. 

He might not get his money back, but he might cost Brian some.
Facebook is all over censoring posts and covering what they say is inappropriate, but they are very slow at responding to all these fake accounts.  Quite often they do nothing.  Everytime I suspect one, I block them.  At least it keeps them from me.  I suggest everyone do the same.  If they find even the tiniest worm hole, the scammers will crawl in.

Many US Attorneys have a threshold for initiating actions for Wire or Mail fraud that is much higher than the threshold in the statute.  Five years ago (my last experience for a client who was a victim) the threshold was $70,000, though they will aggregate repeated scams to reach that limit and add in RICO counts.  Many perpetrators are aware of this and avoid high dollar frauds.  

Your best defense to such claims is:

1) deal with people you know, either a brick and mortar store, vendors with goods at a match or local fellow shooters;

2) if you buy via gun broker, armslist or a similar venue look at the reputation (avoid those with poor reps and those with few sales reps), check their address via on line satellite mapping services, look up their FFL status on line, look at the State Secretary of State's listing of business, especially if the State requires DBA listings;

3) never use pay pal, a check or cashier's check, send cash, wire funds, use prepaid gift cards, or debit cards - only rarely, preferably with someone you have a relationship with and/or checked out send a money order.  Even if lost, it can take months for the USPS to issue you a refund, and you must pay for them to investigate.  Use a credit (not debit) card.  Federal Reserve regulations put the onus for preventing fraud on the credit card companies.  The financial institutions approve who they allow to use their services.  As a result you are protected from fraud.  ONLY USE CREDIT CARDS NOT DEBIT CARDS - THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

4) do not trust someone who suggests that they are a moral person because they go to church, advertise their Christian or religious beliefs or affiliations.  Con men make their living by adopting the trappings of morality.  (My client invested his companies 401K holdings with such a con man, referred by his pastor, who was also fleeced.)  Do your research.  Do not be fooled by a glib or truthful appearance; you will never hear someone say they were scammed by someone they did not trust;

5) run from any deal that is "too good to be true" - it likely is too good to be true and the lie will cost you;

6) most con men / scammers will try for a second bite, as reported by the original poster.  This is a bright red, neon flashing warning sign, but it can also be an aid to getting your money back.  If this should happen consider at that point hiring a professional to track the scammer.  It is possible, but it will cost money, in most cases more than you are already out.

I wish the best.  It is sad, but it makes us appreciate the overwhelming honest, fair folks in this sport all the more.

FYI, I checked out the FB profile for Brian Worley. I saw Doc McCandless had posted on it calling him out.  I can't even see his profile now.  But I had reported him and this is my response from FB.  I rest my case.  They will label things that don't fit their agenda as false but they let scammers slide.
image.png.a5709dc134a45101fdf55994c2d33bf0.png

We’ve raised $265 so far. Come on Cowboys, pony up and help out! 

On 10/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It isn't just tough luck when people get stung in this way.  Most states will follow up and arrest the scammer for business and  professions fraud.   Usually it brings heavy fines, plus required restitution.  In some States conviction----> incarceration. 

But if the perpetrator happens to be operating from California, Governor Nuisance will pardon him next week to get him back out scamming people -- next day if he's a convicted violent felon. (Pls don't let that divert the orig thread, looking for help)

That's not Governor, that's Dictator.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:06 PM, Hoss said:

We’ve raised $265 so far. Come on Cowboys, pony up and help out! 

PM Sent Pard .

10 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

PM Sent Pard .

Thanks Rooster! 

On 10/9/2021 at 3:32 PM, Marshal Eli Taylor said:

He has the info of where he sent the money, he needs to file a complaint with his state AG Office.  

It is likely that the scammer is operating from a call center in India, China, or West Africa. It is a real problem, I stopped selling things on Craigslist because they're mailing bogus checks.

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up to the story. 

Due to the generosity of several Cowboys, including several on the wire, we were able to raise enough to buy a really nice set of cimmaron pistols for Tom. And had $300 left over, which we gave him to help pay for a shotgun (he already has a rifle). He was astounded. And a little teary eyed.  After the match he asked where was he supposed to leave them, thinking they might be “club” guns. We told him again they were his to keep. He still couldn’t believe it! 
thanks to be all who helped out. Helping Tom was a good thing. We ought to do good things when we can. 

I don't get to shoot with the Texas Riviera Pistoleros too often and had no idea they were doing this, but was lucky enough to be there this morning when the pistolas were presented to Tom.  He had no idea and the look of wonder and disbelief on his face was just priceless.  

On 10/9/2021 at 4:54 PM, Hoss said:

Correct. 
ive never been burned on SASSWIRE, but I’d be very wary of dealing with a total stranger on FB. But if they have a SASS Alias/#, I feel pretty comfortable. Chances are I’ll know them, or know somebody that knows Them. 

I have!!

A little Google-foo research shows that this Brian Worley works at a pool company.  Is that the same email address that he sent the Paypal payment to?

Contact Everclear Pool & Backyards Co

https://www.everclearbackyards.com/

8133 E Brainerd Road

Chattanooga , TN 37421

Get Directions

Main: (423) 499-2700

Mobile: (423) 320-6620

brianworley@epbfi.com

• 1 month later...

Just realized ive been scammed by this guy too. I cannot believe i fell for this BS. he messaged me saying he needed 300 more for UPS insurance, that got me suspicious so i stated digging digger and came across this page. im an idiot.

There was an ad four days ago on "S.A.S.S. And Cowboy Action Shooting" Facebook page for Royal Reloading, who had all kinds of guns & ammo in stock. The address was a little hole-in-the-wall gun shop in Franklin Tennessee, the phone number was 165 miles away in Knoxville, the Google Earth map coordinates were a patch of woods in New Jersey, a search for Royal Reloading came up as a business in Billings, MT, his linked FB page was created in January and has posts on only ten days - the vast majority of them being dozens of stock pictures from various other sites posted just the day before, he had joined the FB SASS site that very day, and his FB profile said he was from Atlanta and currently living in San Diego.

We get those scammers here, too.   We've had quite a few of them on the Classified Wire, most often targeting WTB ads.   Only by you alerting us can we take action against them, because they contact you via PM.    

• 3 months later...

Another follow up to the story. 

Tom shot his first ever clean match last Saturday. He was thrilled. 

thanks again to all that helped Tom out. 

I have never bought anything on FB - certainly not firearms. I’m very sorry for the new shooter. I know that MOST OF US cowfolk ARE honorable people however, I have a couple Customers who have been scammed/shortchanged/not gotten what they paid for via the SASS Wire Classifieds. Greed is an equal opportunity vice/sin and the lessons here are BUYER BEWARE! Especially now! Only deal with known entities or people that friends/shooting pals KNOW to be decent and honorable. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I'm not going to say I got scammed on the SASS Classifieds... I'd say I was severely "short-changed" and disappointed in a pair of .38 Stallions I bought for my wife to shoot.  (She needs smaller, lightweight guns).   I got the guns, and they were a mess.  The barrels need to be replaced as the original ejector assemblies were replaced with longer Ruger ejectors and the holes for the screws were drilled right through the bore with the screws protruding.  It was a couple of days before I unwrapped them and found out... then I see a notice on the Wire that the seller passed away shortly after he mailed the guns to my FFL.

I've put them in the safe, waiting for barrels to finally make it here from Italy... whenever.

Meanwhile I bought the special lady some Ruger .32s.  I think she'll be happy with them.

Archived