SASS Wire Forum

These qre your only two choices --- please

Alpo

You're back in the old west. Late 1870s, early 1880s.

Would you carry a 45 Colt revolver, so that you had to carry two different kinds of ammunition, or would you carry a 44 Winchester revolver, so that you could use the same cartridge in your rifle and your pistol?

This is one of those things that never comes up in westerns. If you're in the middle of a range war, and you kill one of the guys on the other side, and you take his gun and his cartridge belt, it always matches up with yours.

I'm currently rereading HELLER WITH A GUN. Not one of my favorites. I think I've only read it once. The gunfighter is saving this troupe of traveling players from some bad guys and some renegade Indians. The leader of the actors has a double barrel shotgun. The ingenue has a Colt revolver, that belonged to her father before he was killed. But all she had was the five rounds that was in it, and it has been fired twice. And I just idly wondered if the gunfighter's ammunition would fit in Daddy's pistol. There is no mention of caliber in the book. Just my mind wanderings.

If it matters, I would use 44s.

Sometimes I did. Other times I would go up there with a 44 Winchester on one hip, a 44 Russian on the other hip, carrying a 38 Winchester rifle.

Just because.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Sometimes I did. Other times I would go up there with a 44 Winchester on one hip, a 44 Russian on the other hip, carrying a 38 Winchester rifle.

Just because.

Well, you're Alpo. :huh:

In answer to your original question, I would probably carry a .45 pistol with a .44 rifle. That way, if I DO pick up somebody else's rig, which ever HE has, I've got a gun for.

I'm not very bright.  I'm not sure it would occur to me to have the same ammo.  I lean towards 45 colt in the pistol and a big boy rifle cartridge like 40-60 or 45-70.  Unless I'm in a heavily wooded area, then maybe I'd have a pistol caliber rifle.  Or a lever action shotgun. 

I know I went off book, but your title saying there are 2 choices only applied to the pistol. 

30 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Well, you're Alpo. :huh:

In answer to your original question, I would probably carry a .45 pistol with a .44 rifle. That way, if I DO pick up somebody else's rig, which ever HE has, I've got a gun for.

I agree. 

Matching calibers, if not 44WCF, then 38WCF

3 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

In a pinch you can shoot .44WCF through a .45.  Might not hit anything though

In a pinch you can shoot 44 Russian in a 44 WCF revolver.

1155759980_44Winchestervs44Russian.thumb.jpg.7d38d85d8c43155777c9c073e328493d.jpg

458721695_44Russianin44WCFchamber.thumb.jpg.c3440a78a989a08a1e6a556d9031db52.jpg

You can also shoot it through a 44 WCF rifle, but it wouldn't be FEED THROUGH the magazine. Have to single load it.

My grandad had a .45 Colt and a .38 WCF.  and a .38 WCF  Rifle . And a SXS  10ga.

For hunting he had a single Shot Sharps .

Jabez Cowboy

Real Cowboys Seldom had Two Matching Handguns , My Grandad started out with a .36 Navy colt and a Hawken,,,, To which he added a SXS 10 Ga. ,,,,,

Then he added a SAA in .45 Colt ,,,,,, Then he added a 73 in .38 WCF.  Then he got a Sharps,,,, Then some 23 years after he got his Navy He got a SAA in .38 WCF. but kept the Navy , Which he gave to my Grandmother ... To keep vermin at bay Two legged of otherwise..

He never did have a matching set of guns even when He became quite prosperous. He was a Rancher that got into all kinds of businesses'...

Jabez Cowboy 

Archived