SASS Wire Forum

Lonesome Dove

Buckshot Bear

Watching Lonesome Dove again, when I read the book I loved every page of it and was so excited when I heard they were making a 

mini series out of it. Robert Duvall was just the perfect actor for Gus McCrae!

29418269_so.thumb.jpg.1c11413ce4bfd43832f102580c51896c.jpg

45 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There were also Lonesome Dove the series, and Lonesome Dove the outlaw years, filmed in ‘94 and ‘95.  Not great.

I liked the Outlaw years not the regular series though.

14 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Who would have hung Jake or who would have let him go?

Hung him same as they did. Stupid is as stupid does. He hung out with the wrong people.

11 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There were also Lonesome Dove the series, and Lonesome Dove the outlaw years, filmed in ‘94 and ‘95.  Not great.

I can find Lonesome Dove Church & Return to Lonesome Dove.

12 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Return to lonesome Dove was the only one in the series that was not written by Larry McMurtry.

Love Lonesome Dove.

Return to Lonesome Dove and the other one that James Garner plays Call. Are just OK.

I also like (sorry, can't remember the name)

Of the one with Gus and Call in the early years.

The guy that plays the young Gus nails it also. 

13 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Love Lonesome Dove.

Return to Lonesome Dove and the other one that James Garner plays Call. Are just OK.

I also like (sorry, can't remember the name)

Of the one with Gus and Call in the early years.

The guy that plays the young Gus nails it also. 

Dead Man's Walk also Commanche Moon is the one right after that.

On 10/9/2021 at 5:06 AM, Buckshot Bear said:

I would have wasted a bullet on him. Probably a cylinder full. Hangin’s too much work to go through for some people. 

Besides, buzzards need to eat and they appear to enjoy their meals cafeteria style. ;)

On 10/9/2021 at 8:02 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Here’s the list of TV series in order by the timeline. All worthwhile to watch. 
https://www.fictiondb.com/series/chronological-lonesome-dove-larry-mcmurtry~57353.htm

Those other “knockoffs” I pay no attention to. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would have wasted a bullet on him. Probably a cylinder full. Hangin’s too much work to go through for some people. 

Besides, buzzards need to eat and they appear to enjoy their meals cafeteria style. ;)

Never really understood hanging. Unless you're going to leave the body there, pour encourager les autres.

At the beginning of Big Jake, Jock Ewing was going to hang Bernard Fox because he was a sheepherder. Now, if he also killed all the sheep, and then left that sheep farmer hanging from the tree with all the dead woolies laying there - that's making a statement.

In the book I just got through reading, the shyster lawyer had murdered the rancher, and now the ranch hands got together a rope and an extra horse and they were all going down to that oak tree at the end of the road. Why? Shoot him. Much simpler. Much quicker. Get it over with, and get on with life.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Never really understood hanging.

Old Testament said that the cursed shall hang from a tree. It was foreshadowing the crucifixion, but it’s also the root of hanging as an execution method. 

Yes, Jake deserved to die. 

On 10/9/2021 at 4:06 AM, Buckshot Bear said:

From reading and listening, I determined that back in the frontier days, it was not uncommon to fall in with a group of folks to more safely travel. Safety in numbers, as it were. I imagine that was done all down through the ages, and is still being done. I doubt that, back in the frontier days, a person would ask for an I.D., on the folks he was considering travelling with. In fact, back in the old west, asking personal questions was not really done. If you wanted to volunteer information, about yourself, that was fine, but people back then, by and large, did not ask personal questions, or openly pry. It was not done, and those that crossed that line may be in for some problems.  

Using common sense, and logic, and seeing it was a friend of theirs, they should have known him well enough to know the truth of the matter, and they should have let him go. With "friends' like that, you don't need any enemies. 

Yet McMurtry is the author of the novels, and he has the right to choose whatever his fictional characters end up thinking, and doing, regardless of whether I, or anyone, thinks it is nonsense, or stupid. 

Hanging was an accepted form of capital punishment at the time and yes I would have hung Jake!

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Dead Man's Walk also Commanche Moon is the one right after that.

It was Comanche Moon was the one I was thinking about.

With a young Call and Gus.

Steve Zahn plays the young Gus and really nailed it.

Have not seen Dead Mans Walk.

10 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

It was Comanche Moon was the one I was thinking about.

With a young Call and Gus.

Steve Zahn plays the young Gus and really nailed it.

Have not seen Dead Mans Walk.

Dead Man's Walk is the first one. Good story to set up the rest of the series.

Archived