SASS Wire Forum

I love Fall!

Singin' Sue 71615

91 today here....92 tomorrow.  Upper 80's and 90's the rest of the week. 

Fall ain't near here, yet. 

Shove some this way, please.

Maybe it will be fall here in November. 

December, at the latest. 

Can't wait for the colors to change on the cow patties around here. 

38 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Foliage in New England often draws leaf peepers by the thousands. Predictions are that the summer rains will dampen the views this year.

They are beautiful and vibrant here in Southwestern, Co.

Early by about a week.

7 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

91 today here....92 tomorrow.  Upper 80's and 90's the rest of the week. 

Fall ain't near here, yet. 

Shove some this way, please.

Maybe it will be fall here in November. 

December, at the latest. 

Can't wait for the colors to change on the cow patties around here. 

I have a fire AND heater set on 65°...

I think the high today was 54°!

16337329254884451647848663440951.jpg

1 minute ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... yes, but after the heat we have autumn .....   usually ......

For about two - four days Wallaby :) just as the sun is finding its strength to starting chucking down max UV's to us!

1 minute ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I have always wondered what it would be like to live in a location that actually had four seasons, instead of two. 

Me too

2 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I have always wondered what it would be like to live in a location that actually had four seasons, instead of two. 

.... bushfire and flood ???   :huh:

Just now, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... bushfire and flood ???   :huh:

Around here it would be: 1. hot, and 2. hot as hell. 

More often than not, I have been in my deer stand, in late November, early December, wearing shorts and a tee shirt, and sweating like a traitor-joe liberal at the Quigley Shoot. 

8 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I hope it doesn't rain before I get out and see the colors tomorrow...

Just a touch is too cool, right out the window!

20211008_145638.jpg

20211008_145656.jpg

16337267738833943639924111469469.jpg

At my age I have fall a time or two.  

No like fall.  Pain.  Takes forever to get back up.  Use a lot of Bandaids and peroxide.

No like fall.

No like pain, too.  Pain hurts

leaves are peaking color now , its been too dry this year but there are views to be had if you drive to the right areas , fall is fine but the leaf cleanup is not much fun , back when we could burn them it was kinda an event but now that we have to compost - its work , i refuse to bag and pay 

im not looking forward to what follows - time to get the snow blower running before its needed 

I like a light rain during the fall colors. The wet makes the colors pop and the overcast sky gives good color saturation with almost no shadows.

_MG_0102.thumb.JPG.84fad0dd239cc375095f0ec3f2a89cde.JPG008.thumb.JPG.c6ab73ddfeb304a0c6817121a6807ef7.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

leaves are peaking color now , its been too dry this year but there are views to be had if you drive to the right areas , fall is fine but the leaf cleanup is not much fun , back when we could burn them it was kinda an event but now that we have to compost - its work , i refuse to bag and pay 

im not looking forward to what follows - time to get the snow blower running before its needed 

Right? The Apen leaves are small...and after the winter with the pine needles, they are easier to rake.

Of course...just around the house...I haven't EVEN started on the rest of the property!!!

Raining this morning.

May have to make frequent stops on the way home.

The Chama Valley from New Mexico into Colorado was breathtaking!!!

Love it. We got a fine dusting of snow last week and it is falling gently again today. Love our 4 seasons after having only 2 for so many years…

In So Ca, there are three distinct leave colors.  Green (lasts a short time), brown and dead, and then black (fire season is our longest season).

I really enjoy when I get sent for business during the fall and get to see a "real" autumn where there are colorful stages between green and dead leaves.

Drove up to Ridgway the other day, where they filmed the original True Grit.

48AC8F9B-5E00-4200-A25A-B2BA19F5FC0C.jpeg

891F145E-D1D4-41A4-A9A3-05094610592E.jpeg

6647FD83-5DE5-4B73-A2F4-BEB42BA40CF8.jpeg

A7383A5A-A91A-4F29-ACFD-417E58A0033F.jpeg

7050517B-99ED-427D-971D-FCE18E74596A.jpeg

First time I saw Colorado was in 1963. My aunt lived in Colorado Springs, and we went to visit her. 

I have been to a few barn burnings, and hay bailing's, but I had never seen anything like that. 

Cool in the day (next to what we were used to), and very chilly at night (down here, in the summer, it is often 98 degrees at midnight). 

It is truly a beautiful State, and many locations are simply mind boggling. 

My two best friends used to live there, but could not afford it, economically, or politically, they told me.

One moved to Wyoming, and the other one moved back to Texas. 

On 10/8/2021 at 4:45 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I lived in San Antonio for 2 years and there were 4 seasons! Summer was the longest, but we still had all 4.

It will depend on what part of Texas one lives in. There is a lot of climate variations in a place this size. You have the flat plains, the mountains, the piney woods, the hill country, the gulf coast, the bayous, the big thicket. Some places are at, or near, sea level, others much higher. It may snow every year in the panhandle, but other places won't see snow for years. East Texas is very humid, in the piney woods, but west Texas is dry, and the humidity is low. 

Some places get a fair amount of rain, others, not much. One summer we had rain on June 30th, and it did not rain again until the last week in September. We have a tornado alley, we have hail. Some areas have four seasons, but the fall may be a week long, the spring may be 4 weeks long, and the winter may be January. As a preschooler, I built a snowman in 1954. I did not build another one until last winter, when there was enough snow, that lasted more than a day, to actually build one. Last winter's snowman lasted three or four days, because it was in the shade of the house. 

If one doesn't like the weather around here, they can either move to another part of the State, or wait five minutes. :)

I know one of the more bizarre things I ever saw was, I was standing in a doorway, of our office building, in downtown Ft. Worth. The tornado sirens sounded, but I just kept standing there, leaning against the doorway. A few minutes later, a pickup truck came down the street, in front of our building. However, the pickup was floating about ten feet off the ground, and was more or less sideways. I turned to our secretary and said, now there's something you don't see every day. Tornadoes, and skyscrapers...well, I say skyscrapers...our office building was only 16 stories high, do make some interesting things happen, it seems. It is really just how, and where, one is raised, and what one is used to. But in 72 years of living here, I have only seen three tornadoes, and one of them did not drop down. I am glad it did not. It was directly over my house, and I was standing out in the front yard watching it.   

Archived