SASS Wire Forum

Are CCI's softer now?

Snakebite

I was reading a write up on CCI primers. It said that the New CCI primers are softer than they use to be and have a wider "Sweet Spot" than before. Because of past experience using  CCI in this game, I ended up using only Federal primers in ammo loaded for this game for many years. NOW... over the past year or so I and a couple of my shooting pards have noticed an increase in FTF coming from our most resent Federal purchases. (recent being the last couple years) Has anyone else had this issue?

Snakebite

CCI and Federal are owned by the same company.  (As is Remington)  Lots has changed in the past couple of years.  Take one of those CCI's out and smack it will a hammer and report back your results.

I've had some problems with Federal, but I think that was related to one specific batch of primers.  Since I've used up that batch, I've had no further problems with Federals.

own?

Vista Outdoor, which is based in Anoka, Minnesota, makes the ammo brands CCI, Federal and Speer, … good indication that Vista is buying the same metal  for BPR primers … cost savings

34 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

CCI and Federal are owned by the same company.  (As is Remington)  Lots has changed in the past couple of years.  Take one of those CCI's out and smack it will a hammer and report back your results.

If it weren't St Biden day (Patron Saint of the Stupid), I would go right out and do that. Hey wait a minute.... I don't have any of the new ones to try. I think that is why I made this post. Seems that when SPP pop up, they are usually CCI and I didn't want to start Hording without knowing if they would work!

CCI are my favorite primers, but they are "harder" than Federal and Winchester.  I would say they are modestly harder than Winchester and nothing is as soft as a federal.  None of my revolvers are light enough to care, but yours might be.  If you have a really light sprung revolver, Federal is the only realistic option, but otherwise, any of the major primers are fine.

:(  They don't want to know more about last year's primers hardness (yes, CCIs were among the hardest), they want to know about today's primer production. 

Probably few folks have any yet.  We'll know more in 6 months.

good luck, GJ

Yes Joe... you are correct. This is what is said on their web page:

As a result today’s CCI primers are more sensitive, easier to seat and more compatible with progressive and automated loading equipment than ever before. ....... They are more sensitive and easier to seat than older CCI primers, and engineered for smooth feeding in automated equipment."

I Just want to know if anyone has any first hand indication that this is actually the case. I would hate order 100 K of them only to find that the 2 K they actually sent me wouldn't work in my guns. ;)

Snakebite

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Super glue one reversed on to the end of a .177 air pellet and fire it a a brick wall at night.

SB  (@Snakebite)-

Do you have any yet?  If you do, pick out your lightest action job (hammer strike) revolver.  Prime a few cases with them.  Test fire the primers.  If they all fire in your guns, you got a good chance they are "light enough" for you to place an order.    Sometimes you don't have to know the general answer, you just have to find the answer for your particular conditions.

good luck, GJ

I don't have any yet. I found them available and ran to get my card. By the time I got back to the computer, they were gone!

I just bought 1000 cci small pistol primers number 500s.  Loaded 10 in a very highly tuned 73 in 38-357 and they all went bang.  I loaded 10 more and they all went bang.   I will be using them Sunday as  long as it doesnt rain.  Bullett 19707

At this point, I wouldn't be too picky.  Any primer is better than no primer even if you have to reinstall the original hammer springs to get consistent ignition!  I agree that historically the Federals have been the softest and most reliable, but I've loaded virtually every kind available over the years and had very few misfires with any of them.  I currently have a decent supply of CCI large pistol primers on hand, but bought them at least 4 years ago and doubt that they are the new production that is supposed to be more sensitive.  However, the fact that they even stated that they have been improved shows that the older ones were harder than they needed to be, so any move to improve that has to be a good thing for those with lighter hammer springs.  Anyway, my point is that if CCI primers become available and you have the need, then I'd jump on them before they are gone.  Personally, I still have enough to wait for prices and supplies to stabilize a bit more and plan to wait and see how things shake out, but I can't hold out forever either!  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

Bud, I agree. I'm not up against the wall either.  I just try to be prepared. I know far too many of our shooters that were not prepared. They expected supplies to always be available. Probably the same guys that don't have any emergency rations and supplies put back or don't keep their tanks full.

Archived