SASS Wire Forum

How would they know?

Alpo

Couple years back I started a thread on here about the light switch in my bathroom. Got lots of advice about how to fix it. Fixed it. Did not electrocute myself or burn the house down. Yay me.

One guy - I don't remember who - suggested I get this tool. Made by Klein. You touch the tip of it to a wire and it will tell you if the wire is hot. And I bought one.

Two three days ago I get an email from Klein. They're having a recall on that tool. I should send it back and they will send me a new one that does not have the problem that this one has.

How would Klein know that I bought their tool? I did not send in a warranty card. I don't do that. And even if I had sent one in, I would have put my address on it. Not my email address.

I suppose it is possible that they contacted everybody in the entire world that they sold them to, so my local Home Depot got a notice. And since I paid with a credit card Home Depot would know that I bought one. But Home Depot doesn't know my email address.

Now, this was not addressed to "Klein customer", or something similar. It came addressed to my real name.

So, how in the world did they know I bought this tool?

Everything that gets put in a computer remains somewhere for ever.  Facebook's income isn't from social media it is selling information.  That is why the Dems are pushing for the $600.00 bank account limit for automatically getting everyone's bank data.  If you sell a used car for $10,000.00 and deposit the money in your bank account you will be getting an inquiry from the IRS about potential unreported income.

On a serious note, have you ever ordered online from Home Depot or a sister store?  Some stores link online accounts to credit card use in store.  There is software that will listen to items you talk about and viseo of items you pick up then put back, track you to checkout and match you to your credit card.  They can track future visits through voice id so your cash purchases are tracked too.  This enhances targeted ads and a better portfolio to sell.

Alpo, you’re welcome. Those tools are great. Thanks for posting this. I will see about mine. 

More than likely they tracked the sale via Home Depot or wherever you bought via your debit or credit card. 

What's more concerning is I did not get notified of the recall .  Since I did not buy one, that would confirm it's a conspiracy and you need to go off the grid as it likely means your social security number has been frozen and the police are on the way as I type.  

Archived