SASS Wire Forum

SASS Florida State Championship - Ides of March 2022 - Tavares, FL - 3/17/22 - 3/21/22

The Outlaw Travis James

445620445_The-Ides-Of-March-2022thumb.png.7a8231ce1032dcef29b58cbb2ff6b02b.png

Thursday, March 17, 2022 12:00 am - Sunday, March 20, 2022 3:00 am
EUSTIS GUN CLUB, Frankies Road, Tavares, FL, USA

IOM 2022 Application Fillable.pdf

7 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

Thursday, March 17, 2022 12:00 am - Sunday, March 20, 2022 3:00 am
EUSTIS GUN CLUB, Frankies Road, Tavares, FL, USA

IOM 2022 Application Fillable.pdf 318.93 kB · 3 downloads

Just Dandy!  Now I have to shoot Black Powder At Night?  I really won't be able to see anything...(but neither will the spotters :lol:)

Applications are already done and will be in the mail Tomorrow! 

One of these days, hopefully in the not too distant future, Lil and I are going to come down for the Shootout At The OK Corral and just stay down through the Ides.  That day can't get here soon enough! 

15 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Just Dandy!  Now I have to shoot Black Powder At Night?  I really won't be able to see anything...(but neither will the spotters :lol:)

Applications are already done and will be in the mail Tomorrow! 

One of these days, hopefully in the not too distant future, Lil and I are going to come down for the Shootout At The OK Corral and just stay down through the Ides.  That day can't get here soon enough! 

there are a lot of great matches to shoot between those two.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:53 AM, The Outlaw Travis James said:

there are a lot of great matches to shoot between those two.

We have been making the journey to Florida for the State match since 2007 when it was The Last Stand, followed it to St. Augustine for the 3 years of the Siege, then to the Lake County Pistoleros and the Ides.  Only one we missed was the one in Tallahassee as the timing just didn't work out for us.   Been hitting Dark Day all except the 1st year as we didn't have time to plan for it, but hit them all since.  Then the addition of Darkness Falls was a bonus and we have made all of those.

Probably our favorite was when Darkness/Dark Day fell on the week before the Ides as we could come down for 10 days and shoot for 6 of them (if you count side matches at the Ides).  That was great!

With the Shootout at the OK Corral the week before the Darkness matches, it will be close with 4 days of shooting.  Then we will be back for the Ides of March in March.

Haven't managed to make it down for any of the monthly matches, although we have tried.  They never seems to line up with our schedule of when we are down there, or we just have too much to do while there.  A couple more years of the grind and we will finally be able to snowbird with the best of them!

Just keep posting those videos so we can live the Florida Cowboy Life vicariously through YouTube!  :D  Helps keep me sane living up here behind enemy lines in the PRoM (Peoples Republic of Maryland).

• The Outlaw Travis James changed the title to SASS Florida State Championship - Ides of March 2022 - Tavares, FL - 3/17/22 - 3/21/22
On 10/9/2021 at 9:39 PM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

We have been making the journey to Florida for the State match since 2007 when it was The Last Stand, followed it to St. Augustine for the 3 years of the Siege, then to the Lake County Pistoleros and the Ides.  Only one we missed was the one in Tallahassee as the timing just didn't work out for us.   Been hitting Dark Day all except the 1st year as we didn't have time to plan for it, but hit them all since.  Then the addition of Darkness Falls was a bonus and we have made all of those.

Probably our favorite was when Darkness/Dark Day fell on the week before the Ides as we could come down for 10 days and shoot for 6 of them (if you count side matches at the Ides).  That was great!

With the Shootout at the OK Corral the week before the Darkness matches, it will be close with 4 days of shooting.  Then we will be back for the Ides of March in March.

Haven't managed to make it down for any of the monthly matches, although we have tried.  They never seems to line up with our schedule of when we are down there, or we just have too much to do while there.  A couple more years of the grind and we will finally be able to snowbird with the best of them!

Just keep posting those videos so we can live the Florida Cowboy Life vicariously through YouTube!  :D  Helps keep me sane living up here behind enemy lines in the PRoM (Peoples Republic of Maryland).

The out of towners liked when DD was the weekend before Ides but the locals didn't becuase we couldn't take two weeks off in a row.  So DD attendance suffered.  But since it has been moved there have been many other factors affecting attendance the past two years.  

8 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

The out of towners liked when DD was the weekend before Ides but the locals didn't becuase we couldn't take two weeks off in a row.  So DD attendance suffered.  But since it has been moved there have been many other factors affecting attendance the past two years.  

Between the Covid issues and the Ammo & Component shortages, almost every match has suffered some attendance issues.  Here is to hoping that 2022 will see an improvement in those issues and a rise in the attendance numbers.

I completely understand the issues of having the matches too close together, and it's not just the local shooters getting time off that is the issue.  Up here, and I suspect down there as well,  there is a small group of dedicated folks who make these matches happen, and they typically are involved with making it happen at multiple clubs.  Those folks need (and deserve) some down time between matches to enjoy the game themselves and having the big matches back to back takes a toll on everyone.  Having been MD for both the Mason Dixon Stampede (when it was the Eastern Divisional) as well as Thunder Valley Days (the MD State Championship) which at the time were 3 months apart, was a huge undertaking.  If they were back to back, it would have been a killer!

In reality, the present setup isn't bad at all, I just wish the 950+ mile commute was a little shorter. :P  I'm just grateful that there are clubs putting on these matches and that my wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to attend some of them.  Two more matches to run at my home club, (Cops & Cowboys Charity Match and the November Monthly) then we are shut down until March (or April if the ranges are ice covered).  Looking forward to Florida in January!

24 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Between the Covid issues and the Ammo & Component shortages, almost every match has suffered some attendance issues.  Here is to hoping that 2022 will see an improvement in those issues and a rise in the attendance numbers.

I completely understand the issues of having the matches too close together, and it's not just the local shooters getting time off that is the issue.  Up here, and I suspect down there as well,  there is a small group of dedicated folks who make these matches happen, and they typically are involved with making it happen at multiple clubs.  Those folks need (and deserve) some down time between matches to enjoy the game themselves and having the big matches back to back takes a toll on everyone.  Having been MD for both the Mason Dixon Stampede (when it was the Eastern Divisional) as well as Thunder Valley Days (the MD State Championship) which at the time were 3 months apart, was a huge undertaking.  If they were back to back, it would have been a killer!

In reality, the present setup isn't bad at all, I just wish the 950+ mile commute was a little shorter. :P  I'm just grateful that there are clubs putting on these matches and that my wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to attend some of them.  Two more matches to run at my home club, (Cops & Cowboys Charity Match and the November Monthly) then we are shut down until March (or April if the ranges are ice covered).  Looking forward to Florida in January!

I nearly died (not really, just being dramatic) last year with our Outlaws Annual and DD being back to back.  I do not help much with DD admin but I do the social media stuff and do a lot for the Outlaws match.  My head was spinning for a few weeks trying to get everything done.  

1 hour ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I nearly died (not really, just being dramatic) last year with our Outlaws Annual and DD being back to back.  I do not help much with DD admin but I do the social media stuff and do a lot for the Outlaws match.  My head was spinning for a few weeks trying to get everything done.  

I was commenting to my wife that you must have a twin to be able to take the video, edit the video, post the video, respond to the social media, AND SHOOT, not to mention the obvious practice you must put in.  Heck, I barely have time to WATCH what you post! :lol:  Speaking of which, it's Tax Hell Week up here again and I think I used up all of my Social Media time for the week just this morning.  Anything to avoid opening the Box Of Doom (also known as Tax Records)!

main-qimg-c9602874aa4e7b4e15c9bc0d549b2b

Reserved our house yesterday and sending application in tomorrow, can't wait!

22 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I was commenting to my wife that you must have a twin to be able to take the video, edit the video, post the video, respond to the social media, AND SHOOT, not to mention the obvious practice you must put in.  Heck, I barely have time to WATCH what you post! :lol:  Speaking of which, it's Tax Hell Week up here again and I think I used up all of my Social Media time for the week just this morning.  Anything to avoid opening the Box Of Doom (also known as Tax Records)!

main-qimg-c9602874aa4e7b4e15c9bc0d549b2b

It definitely takes a lot of time management to be able to get everything done.  That, and the fact that I only sleep a few hours every night... 

Archived