SASS Wire Forum

Female Guards at Tomb of the unknown soldier

Rye Miles #13621

@Rye Miles #13621,

Thanks for posting. :FlagAm:

Note: Your edit just beat my posting it by seconds! :P. Good job. ;)

Sickening.

The Tomb deserves real guards, the nation's best, not tiny people with big guns trained to act like soldiers.

Just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

9 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

Sickening.

The Tomb deserves real guards, the nation's best, not tiny people with big guns trained to act like soldiers.

You don't get on that detail by being mediocre. 

Just sayin...

12 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

Sickening.

If you really mean that, you are way behind the times.  The "Old Guard" would not have picked them if they weren't qualified and trained.  They undoubtedly take the oath that means they will act properly their entire lives, including not consuming alcohol or drugs, and their behavior otherwise is worthy of having served this tour of duty, just at their male counterparts do.  There have been too many soldiers of both genders who have given their lives in defense of our country.  While modern technology pretty well insures there will be no more "unknowns", including women, honor goes with them all, including the one KIA in Afghanistan most recently!

:FlagAm:

51 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

Sickening.

WoW, have you ever looked at what a Guard that goes on that Detail have to do? If not do some research before you post your ignorance.    

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

If you really mean that, you are way behind the times.  The "Old Guard" would not have picked them if they weren't qualified and trained.  They undoubtedly take the oath that means they will act properly their entire lives, including not consuming alcohol or drugs, and their behavior otherwise is worthy of having served this tour of duty, just at their male counterparts do.  There have been too many soldiers of both genders who have given their lives in defense of our country.  While modern technology pretty well insures there will be no more "unknowns", including women, honor goes with them all, including the one KIA in Afghanistan most recently!

:FlagAm:

That isn't quite right.  The "Old Guard" allowed female MPs to be tomb sentinels because women were not allowed in the infantry branch for a long time.  They got special treatment.  The same "Old Guard" historically otherwise had very restrictive rules about who could serve, I've heard the rumor was males had to be 5'10"-6'2" tall or they wouldn't be permitted to even try out for the duty.  I know that they never would have considered me because 1) although combat arms, I was not an infantryman and 2) I am nowhere near that tall.

I have always admired the tomb sentinels and they take extreme pride in their work, but the shenanigans surrounding who may volunteer for the duty have been inexcusable for the entire time the Tomb has been guarded and we can do so much better.

This is not to disparage anyone, man or woman, who has had the honor of guarding the Tomb. It is the most solemn duty in all the military.  But it should be opened to any DOD servicemember who is qualified and willing to do so, and the very best should be chosen to represent our military in that capacity.

That oath thing, about never doing drugs or alcohol -  not just while they're a guard but never ever for the rest of their lives - is an urban legend.

If women are to be included in any elite program, the standards must be lowered.  Many, many otherwise outstanding male applicants have been turned down for this duty for being too short.  Women want in?  Just lower the standards.  12% body fat required?  Make it 24% so women can play.  1.5 mile run time of 12 minutes needed?  We'll just make that 24 so everyone has a chance.  On and on it goes.  Lower standards to make everybody equally outstanding.

Tomb guards are supposed to be intimidating, physically imposing individuals.  "You dare not violate this place."  "You will be respectful."  Tourists and foriegn visitors must be awed. The sentries enforce order.  They are not toy soldiers on display.

"Good enough" is not!

Just wait for the flaps about maternity outfits.

Proudly "behind the times."  The "everybody's the same" emperor has no clothes.

Howdy,

I know one ranger who sure didnt like women getting special test treatment.

The thing is that not having women part of some elete group limits

otherwise terrific applicants.  

And the other side knows women arent members of said group.

Several episodes of  THE UNIT  take a look at this issue.

Its not all about weightlifting.

Best

CR

I hope since his handle is “Joke um “ is his making a bad joke. I have the utmost respect for all our volunteers. He had a young man from our area  served  as a tomb guard and our local paper ran a great artist on him.   Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas served as a Captain in the 3rd infantry (Old Guard). And I am proud of him

back in 1980 , I was offered 3rd Inf , (Old Guard) while in basic , back then I was 6' 3  1/2 " , waighing a whopping 128 lbs 

looking back , I have mixed thoughts about turning down the posting . 

figured DC was NO place for a wild haired country boy , with a wild streak about 1/2 mile wide 

CB 

6 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

Sickening.

You're kind of an idiot, huh?

8 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

Sickening.

Put the bottle down, and say good night! <_<

Your remark, is without question, the very rudest/ insulting remark I have ever seen posted here about our military in all the years I have been on this fourm.

What is wrong with you? :rolleyes:

OLG

Archived