SASS Wire Forum

Functional Aircraft

Subdeacon Joe

From the FB group "Greatest Planes That Never Were," a group dedicated to one off or low number of production aircraft.

"Before the Transavia PL-12 Airtruk, best known for being (1) ugly as hell even by cropsprayer standards and (2) being in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, there was the Bennett PL-11 Airtruck, built out of old RNZAF Harvard parts. Two built, which was roughly five too many.

Waitomo Aircraft Management: There's this company in the UK called Blackburn, builds some absolutely butt-ugly aircraft.
Luigi Pellarini: Hold my beer..."

FB_IMG_1633578900750.jpg

FB_IMG_1633578910435.jpg

I don't think so!!  I saw a pair of Cobras on the second day of the 1968 TET offensive that were easily the most beautiful flying device I have ever seen.

We were in no great danger but the cobras still were lovely flying around our perimeter.  Their call: BRRIIIIIIP.  Was also a welcome sound.

They didn't stay long as they had other business but I still will remember them always.

2 hours ago, Noz said:

I don't think so!!  I saw a pair of Cobras on the second day of the 1968 TET offensive that were easily the most beautiful flying device I have ever seen.

We were in no great danger but the cobras still were lovely flying around our perimeter.  Their call: BRRIIIIIIP.  Was also a welcome sound.

They didn't stay long as they had other business but I still will remember them always.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I know guys who get the collywobbles when they hear the distinctive sound of Hueys.  Not  abd looking bird and that sound was sure reassuring to a bunch of men looking for some covering fire and a ride home.

Ugliest helicopter, and the noisiest, is the Kaman HH-43 Huskie "egg beater" side by side counter rotating dual rotors.

15 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I know guys who get the collywobbles when they hear the distinctive sound of Hueys.  Not  abd looking bird and that sound was sure reassuring to a bunch of men looking for some covering fire and a ride home.

Ugliest helicopter, and the noisiest, is the Kaman HH-43 Huskie "egg beater" side by side counter rotating dual rotors.

This aircraft saw use in the Vietnam War with several detachments of the Pacific Air Rescue Center, the 33d, 36th, 37th, and 38th Air Rescue Squadrons, and the 40th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron, where the aircraft was known by its call sign "Pedro". During the war, the two-pilot HH-43 Huskie flew more rescue missions than all other aircraft combined, because of its unique hovering capability. The HH-43 was eventually replaced by newer aircraft in the early 1970s.[3]

Bet a lot of guys thought it was the most beautiful sight and sound ever.

Image result for Kaman HH-43 Huskie vietnam

See the source image

Only saw one HH-43, a fire fighting chopper at Ton Son Nhut.  I had built models of it when I was in high school and got a ride on it from one end of the airfield to the other and back.....after a LOT of cajoling, mooching, and out and out begging.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:01 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

FB_IMG_1633578900750.jpg

FB_IMG_1633578910435.jpg

Those planes don’t fly!  They’re so damned ugly the ground repells them!!

On 10/9/2021 at 11:49 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Those planes don’t fly!  They’re so damned ugly the ground repells them!!

.... maybe so, but they can carry a one ton payload of crop dusting product. And the twin tail boom makes it easier to load.   :)

8 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... maybe so, but they can carry a one ton payload of crop dusting product. And the twin tail boom makes it easier to load.   :)

That don’t make ‘em any less ugly!!

They’re so ugly the ground would STILL repel ‘em with TWO tons of payload!! :lol:

Archived