SASS Wire Forum

I guess Levi's are cowboy pants after all!

Because of their antigun stance I've not bought anything from them in over 50 years.   That and sizing.  There jeans weren't shrunk fit thus it was hit and miss for fit.  Could buy Wrangler Cowboy Cut off the shelf without trying them on and be confident of fit.

When they were still made in the USA, I was willing to pay the extra cost over other brands.   When they put production overseas, and didn't drop the price, I stopped buying them.  

When I learned of their anti-gun agenda, it just reaffirmed my opinion to not buy them anymore.

They are still good jeans, but they are not the jeans I used to buy when they were the only kind of jeans. Those just are not made anymore.

Purists might say they have not been real jeans since the crotch rivet was removed. The cowboys back then, sitting around the campfire and needing to take their leave for a minute or so did not miss that certain rivet.

I still have a few pair and will wear them out over time, but have switched to another brand for daily wear a few years ago. I can't get into the front pocket [of the Levis] easily with my sidearm OWB. My car keys are in that pocket.

Also, when I need to, um, "take my leave for a minute or so"... The loops don't hold my belt so my sidearm starts edging to the floor.

They don't fit me. Not in any aspect.

Not in their stance on things. They should just concentrate on making jeans, and not get into morality issues...or in this case, immorality issues. 

Them being made overseas, and yes, I know, so are many of the other jeans. But...I buy my jeans that are made in El Paso, Texas.  :FlagAm:

The cowboy culture, rodeo culture, moved to Wrangler, and Lee, and others, years ago. They just seem to fit better...on all levels.

This company stopped trying to appeal to the country/cowboy crowd, and added to the fact that they don't fit me, I don't/won't buy them. 

San Francisco is a good place for them. In this case...they fit right in!!! 

My opinion...of course. 

But opinions are like armpits. Most everyone has at least two. 

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

That revolver looks to be a open top conversion.

kR

Of course, this is the reason why I posted the pic in the first place; the revolver.   It's got more than enough detail to be semi identifiable.  But is it an 1860 cap & ball, or an 1860 conversion?  The latter would make more sense given the loops on the belt.  Whoever the artist was went into a lot of detail.  But this is one detail that it's hard to say.   Anyone else wanna vote on exactly what the revolver is?

Looking at that picture I’m wondering does anyone roll up their jeans on bottom?? 
I don’t and never have!<_<

Used to roll my cuffs at work.   Farm equipment infield repair.    Put cigarette butts in cuff so farmers weren't scared I would burn their wheat field down       GW

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Looking at that picture I’m wondering does anyone roll up their jeans on bottom?? 

Absolutely authentic for SASS. John Wayne did it.

c8c0a2fcfdc21ec557ab9b1e2183742c.png

Rolling them up was in style beginning in the thirties and fading out by the fifties.   Occasionally, I still see an old time cattleman (not cowboy...there's a difference) with Levi's stuffed inside fancy boot tops but they are very rare now.   Even Wranglers have lost their glow with the cowboy/rodeo crowd.  The trend now is loser fitting  USA made jeans like Cinch at least for the younger set.   I like the idea of homegrown but some of the stitch patterns on the hind pockets seem more appropriate for brokeback movies.

I grew up in them, and as I grew taller I had to switch to Wranglers because they did not offer my size.  Sizing has always been an issue.  Then the gun control issue came up and I never looked back.  They are not the product they once were, rather sad.....

I also grew up in Levi's 501s.  Was years and years before I knew there was anything else.  I also really liked "Shrink to Fit" once I figured out the right (correct) waist and leg length.  501s would wear near forever.  In school, we tucked 'em under for no cuff and rolled the waste band over with no belt.  The watch pocket held the obligatory Zippo.  Really good products.

Then.  Then Levi's moved their production off-shore, went to crap denim, and raised the prices.  Followed closely by anti-gun.  I dumped Levi's when they moved off-shore.  They are still hypocrites by Head Quartering in San Francisco.  Wouldn't give them the time of day.

Oh Yea, actually not "Cowboy" pants.  Levi first introduced the Levi's brand as tough wearing pants for California 49er Gold Miners.  Made the pants from Denim Tent Canvas dyed Blue.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Absolutely authentic for SASS. John Wayne did it.

c8c0a2fcfdc21ec557ab9b1e2183742c.png

Yea we all know that but my question was does anyone do that now???:o I didn't ask if it was SASS legal, thems yer words!:P

Since I can buy Wrangler Jean by waist and length I don’t cuff them anymore. I’ve not seen anyone doing that since I was about 7 years old. That’s 70 years ago to be specific. I remember seeing John Wayne’s earlier movies where he had them cuffed and being surprised at it. 

On the other hand I’m no Fashion Mogul either, so who knows what todays hot youngsters are doing. My Granddaughter nearly had a coronary when I told “You jeans were showing through, but don’t worry I patched them up for you!” Of course I didn’t, but she yelled “Grandpa I paid $?? (too much) for those just the way they were.” Then we laughed and laughed, until I showed her the iron on patch material I had ‘left over’ and she cried in anguish. The kids know I’m a kidder so she got over it ……. eventually.

CJ

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yes and no. I buy my jeans long at 32 inseam (I'm really a 31) cuz I like to have a little bagginess, wrinkle with my cowboy boots. But, in any other shoe or flip flops, they get rolled up about 1".

19 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Found this online today, and thought it was cool.

1338943593_LevisAdd.jpg.178dc84915b4bb7dff56f20bdcffa4ad.jpg

It's funny how his gun belt has cartridge loops, but that's clearly an 1860 cap and ball he's shooting.

Too bad they don't like us anymore.  :(

If anyone showed up at a match dressed like that they'd be laughed at.

20 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I buy and wear Wranglers! No Levi’s for me!

I have a problem with Wranglers:  some jackass in the design and / or manufacturing department seems to think it's funny to put the top of the watch pocket so high that they are blocked by the belt.  Seeing thatI stopped wearing Levis years ago and the Wrangler problem has just come to light, I may try Lee's for  change.

I wore Levi's in H.S. when they were affordable. My folks were on the lower end of the economic scale. You couldn't give me them now. I wear Wranglers and various brands sold at Costco.

I have read a lot of books that occasionally mention "jeans". My grandfather told me, that his dad, a real cowboy, would not wear them. The closest he came to jeans, was wearing overalls, while plowing behind a mule. He told me when he rode a horse, he never wore jeans. 

I have read that many of the old time cowboys considered that jeans were made for farmers, and sodbusters, and miners, not for horsemen, like they considered themselves to be. 

Then closer to, and after the turn of the century, jeans made their way into the cowboy culture. With the help of the historically incorrect Hollyweird, the jeans became a fixture of the cowboy. One that persists to this day. 

Just relaying what I have read, over the years, and also heard...as per my great-grandfather, born in 1862, drove cows up the trail when he was 14...from one of his sons.

17 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Never seen many B Western shooters at a match, have you?:blink:

That outfit is downright sedate compared to some I've seen.

22 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Rolling them up was in style beginning in the thirties and fading out by the fifties.   Occasionally, I still see an old time cattleman (not cowboy...there's a difference) with Levi's stuffed inside fancy boot tops but they are very rare now.   Even Wranglers have lost their glow with the cowboy/rodeo crowd.  The trend now is loser fitting  USA made jeans like Cinch at least for the younger set.   I like the idea of homegrown but some of the stitch patterns on the hind pockets seem more appropriate for brokeback movies.

Many cattlemen are good cowboys. I sometimes roll a cuff in mine if they are too long. I would not be caught dead in anything with fancy stitching

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I thought jeans weren't legal for B Western?

Costuming Rules: - Shirts must be of the “B-Western” style with snap buttons or any of the following: “Smiley Pockets,” embroidery, appliques, fringe, or different colored yokes. - Shield shirts are allowed if the shield/bib has piping or embroidery. - Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt loops, and/or piping or fringe.

Yeah .. but those rules are so vague!! -_-

-  Boots are required and must be of traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color
fancy design with smooth, non-grip enhancing soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not
allowed. -

... and then ... 

bwesternboots.jpg.98e22105a4b10ea99900a35fbce70931.jpg

On 10/7/2021 at 4:30 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I buy em an inch or two over so when I’m riding and they hike up, they are still long enough.  If I’m not riding, I roll them up.

Well, back in the 1950's, we were simply po. Yes, I said "po". We were not high enough on the economic ladder to be "poor". 

Mom would buy a pair of jeans, that were too big, so we could wear and grow into them. Everybody did it that way, back then. 

We would roll up the cuff of our pants, and over time, as we grew, we did not need to roll them up as much, and then, not at all.

The high school guys were cool about it, and rolled them underneath, not like the younger kids did. 

It was simply a matter of making things last, because we did not have any extra money.

Wages were low, back then, and most of the parents grew up during the depression. 

On 10/7/2021 at 1:11 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

7457FE7F-8EE6-4DD7-9E2F-A99E1507733F.jpeg

The non sass match across town has everything from re-enactment quality to jeans, snap shirts & hats.

I’m from SF and haven’t bought Levis since that company went to the anti-2A side.

Funny. I remember ads for Lee Riders, in Boys Life magazine. But except for one pair I saw at a thrift shop, I have never seen a pair of Lee jeans. I don't know where the hell they sell them at but they apparently don't sell them here in Northwest Florida.

Archived