SASS Wire Forum

73 rifle reload

Hells Comin

For many years I've loaded over the top and I just don't have the focus that I once had. So they are turning into a  Cluster----.

So I'm going to start loading through the gate.

So I have a few questions. 

38 or 357 I shoot 38's

Bullet design 

Oal

Techniques ?

I shoot a 97 so the reload ammo will be  center/left of belly button. 

Practice.

If bullet worn on gunbelt slide on left side of belly button, pull with your left hand, roll 73 over to about 45 degrees to port (left) so you better see the loading gate, insert bullet tip and force in with left thumb following base.  Cycle lever and shoot.    (Just like LongHunter video shows it)

I'd not expect much difference on bullet weight, bullet shape or case length, but I'd start with a .38 (shorter round to insert) loaded with a truncated cone for a slightly better shape to insert quickly into the loading gate.

good luck, GJ

FWIW, I find loading in gate more successful.  I do it somewhat different from LH as I drop rifle from shoulder, holding flatter, so I am looking down at gate.    Although the drop from shoulder may seem to loose time, and perhaps it does,  I do not feel a struggle to see and get cartridge into gate as I do if I am holding on my shoulder(time loss) . 

Of several shotgun belts, all have at least one loop in center of shotgun pairs so that a round is somewhat center of body and near where rifle is in hand when lowered.  I suspect learning to retrieve round from loop on left side of shotgun rounds should also be efficient with practice. ( I actually like a couple on each end of shotgun loops, but not necessarily for the purpose of rifle reloads).   I find this technique of loading round into gate can be practiced to some extent even at loading table as I load for stage, just use the left hand to load.  One does not have to do it with every round, but a few helps maintain the feel and ability.   

Note: a strong magazine spring negates success in thru the gate technique. 

I do it more like BB says, but instead of dropping it from my shoulder I let the muzzle drop.  If the muzzle can rest on the table/prop in front of me, even better, as it gives more stability when shoving the round thru the gate.  After the round is in it's just like coming off the table for the first shot.

As LH & BB both state, the key is to be able to see - and look!! - where you're putting the round.  Just like loading the shotgun.

I'm no help but curious as to why you ask about cartridge OAL & bullet. Why not just use your regular ammo?

I use the exact same ammo for everything.  Avoids confusion.  

I'm right handed and use a Tupelo Bandolier.  After last round is fired I leave the lever closed with the rifle still held tightly to my shoulder with my left hand and pointed at the next target.  With my left hand I rotate (Rotate around the axis of the bore) the rifle slightly to the left so the loading gate is now in my line of sight.  At the same time I grab a live round with my right hand and bring it up and push it into the loading gate with my right thumb.  Since the rifle is still on my shoulder and still on target all I have to do now is rotate it back to the right, cycle the lever and bang. 

The main trick during all this is to hold the rifle tight against your shoulder.  If it slips all bets are off. :wacko:

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

38Spl cases.  105Gr or 125Gr Truncated Cone flat point bullet loaded thru the Ladle (Loading Gate).

@Colorado Coffinmaker

CC are your truncated cone flat points pills measured across the flat much wider than a small pistol primer at .177" ?

My .38 125gr are pretty close and I wondered how they stack in the stock Uberti magazine and if the truncated cone flat points are resting there edges against the primers in front?

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I'm no help but curious as to why you ask about cartridge OAL & bullet. Why not just use your regular ammo?

The longer the case seems there's more  sticking above the ammo loops and a larger  surface to grab onto. Shorter oal seems the less pressure to collapse the magazine spring. Looking for a bullet that would have less of a chance of hanging up on something.

Hells Comin 

11 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

The longer the case seems there's more  sticking above the ammo loops and a larger  surface to grab onto. Shorter oal seems the less pressure to collapse the magazine spring. Looking for a bullet that would have less of a chance of hanging up on something.

Hells Comin 

I like to have a 147 or 135 on my belt.  135 is round point with just enough flattening on point to be magazine safe.  147 has more flattened point but a nice sleek cone shape for loading into gate (crimped on ogive).  All crimped where crimp die is set for loading of the 105s...KIS, same powder charge also.

I use the same ammo as normal.  Leave the rifle mounted,  but tilt it.  Load weak hand.    Usually my reloads run in the. .9 to1.3 sec.  Range with practice 

I see way too many people try keeping the rifle straight up, eyes on the target then fumble for way longer than 5 seconds. 

Grab your shell weak handed.  Tilt focus on the loading gate.  Load.  Lever as you straighten the rifle, eyes focusing back on target.  Fire. 

Buckshot,

The Truncated Cone 105s and 125s are about the same width at the flat as a Small Pistol Primer.  I never had a problem with them inna tube magazine, also no feeding issues.  Always crimped into the OEM Crimp Groove with a real solid crimp.

Small bore cartridges inna Uberti tube magazine do get rather ziggy zaggy and though I never PERSONALLY experienced a problem, today with the availability of mag liners I would probably elect a mag liner.  However, I don't shoot 38s any more so it's a non-issue for me.

Archived