SASS Wire Forum

Pushing .357 Hy Tek Pills along

Buckshot Bear

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

How fast can you push Hy Tek coated .357 pills along without leading?

Is 1100fps ok?

You won't lead the barrel but if your talking  for Cowboy then 550-750fps is ample depending on what grainage.

33 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

You won't lead the barrel but if your talking  for Cowboy then 550-750fps is ample depending on what grainage.

Long as ya don't mind a couple a bounces before they git to the target.

:rolleyes:

kR

SNS Casting states one should not exceed 1,500-fps with their Hi_Tek coated, cast bullets.  Their bullets are not soft cast.

I don't think you will have to worry to much about it with PC'd bullets. Got a buddy the has been PC'ing couple years now and he pushes his to as fast as safely possible.

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Is 1100fps ok?

Other discipline shooters use Hi-Tek coated bullets in 9mm semis and PCC.

In the category of S&G, I tested some 125 gr Hy-Tek coated bullets. I'd say that 1100 fps was the practical limit. My load wasn't that good, Es/Sd were a bit high. 

The bullets I was using still had a lube groove, so I tried them with lube, and probably gained a bit, but not enough to make it worth while IMHO.

Accuracy seems to be an issue, my theory is that the coating reduces leading, but you begin to over run the BHN of the bullet. 

The limitation is velocity, so I believe as heavy a bullet as practicable would be where I'd gravitate to. At least 158 gr. for starters. The 125 would be better in a 38 Spl case. I ended up using them in a 38 LC case, at Cowboy velocities. 

BB 

Most of my IPSC group use coated pills.... velocities between 1000 and 1200... never seen a problem...   but - as already mentioned...no need for that sort of velocity for Main Match Cowboy shooting..

12 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Not for my cowboy load :)

I just want to load up some hotter ones Mohawk, but the local gunshop doesn't have any jacketed pills in stock.

12 hours ago, Slapshot said:

I don't think you will have to worry to much about it with PC'd bullets. Got a buddy the has been PC'ing couple years now and he pushes his to as fast as safely possible.

HyTek coating is not Powder Coat.

Different material and process.

1 minute ago, Assassin said:

HyTek coating is not Powder Coat.

Different material and process.

So exactly what is it if not a form of Powder Coating?

That article says that the polymer coating Eggleston uses is their own formula. Almost all of the other bullet manufacturers that sell polymer coated bullets are using the Hi Tek coating.

I've used the Hi Tek 240 gr swc bullets in my 44 mag Marlin at about 1300-1400 fps with no issues.

22 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

In the category of S&G, I tested some 125 gr Hy-Tek coated bullets. I'd say that 1100 fps was the practical limit. My load wasn't that good, Es/Sd were a bit high. 

The bullets I was using still had a lube groove, so I tried them with lube, and probably gained a bit, but not enough to make it worth while IMHO.

Accuracy seems to be an issue, my theory is that the coating reduces leading, but you begin to over run the BHN of the bullet. 

The limitation is velocity, so I believe as heavy a bullet as practicable would be where I'd gravitate to. At least 158 gr. for starters. The 125 would be better in a 38 Spl case. I ended up using them in a 38 LC case, at Cowboy velocities. 

BB 

Similar story here. I would offer that Penn Bullet's 158 gr coated TCFPBB has been ideal for my Lightning rifle. It is the only one I found without a leading band to hang up when feeding.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:28 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Is 1100fps ok?

I missed the .357 part on first reading. Lead diameter for me would have to be .358...no leading and no coating deposit to clean in .357 rifle using magnum brass. Hardness about 15.

Archived