SASS Wire Forum

No it's not shooting related.

I put petrol [ your gas ] in my  Hyundai Iload diesel tank:o  !!!!!!!!!!1

I laugh about it now but still can't believe how stupid I was.

I was coming home from a clay target shoot last sunday & called into a little country town to fill up, 7 gallons later ''oh no what am I doing'...thankfully I at least realized so I didn't start it up..had the van put on a tilt tray & delivered to home. next day I drained the tank , refuelled with the proper stuff & all good to go.

Lesson learned...pay attention STOOPID'

They say it is a multi million dollar industry putting the wrong fuel in vehicles.

Certainly puts the bejesus up ya' as I'm paranoid now when I go to the servo.

My neighbor’s roommate borrowed her car and filled it up for her as a “thank you”. It was a diesel VW Rabbit. She filled it with gasoline and drove it home from a block away. Her “thank you” cost a pretty penny to remedy. :blink:

I have never owned and do not plan to own a diesel, but I could see myself absentmindedly doing that. After 44 years of filling tanks with gas? You betcha! It’s habitual! :lol:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have never owned and do not plan to own a diesel, but I could see myself absentmindedly doing that. After 44 years of filling tanks with gas? You betcha! It’s habitual! :lol:

Naw... knowing folks who have done that, just knowing that you COULD do it makes ya that much more conscious.  :rolleyes:

I've had a couple of Mercedes diesels (while also owning gassers!), and I think I'd melt into a puddle of ash if I so much as reached for a gasoline nozzle.  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Snip-it_1633472136256.jpg.63c18c3380c5ceb1c35b825e6aad6ed9.jpg

Years ago I borrowed a neighbor‘s beater pickup. Before returning it, I topped off the tank with diesel fuel since there were placards on the gas gauge and fuel inlet with “diesel fuel only”. 

Shortly after, it quit running. When I reported the problem to the owner, he said “oh yeah”, the engine had been converted to gas, as many GM engines had been. Of course, he hadn’t let me know. No apology. And he let me pay for a tow and fuel system clean out. 

Never spoke to him again. 

I was at a biker bar one time and a member of our club rode up with his Harley sputtering and missing like mad. He had no idea what was wrong. He said he had just filled it up and it started running like this.

We could all smell the diesel in the exhaust and we told him to smell his gas. Fortunately, he lived nearby and was able to get home and drain the tank.:rolleyes:

I recently bought a brand new john deere 5075 cab tractor.  I was so careful with it.  About the same time I bought a 200 gallon tank for.diesel.   a month later I bought one for non ethanol gas for various equipment we have on the farm. 

A storm was coming soon so I told my son to make sure everything is topped off in case we need them but the power is out or the tanks were damaged. 

A fee days later I fired up my new tractor and commenced to working with it.  Suddenly it stopped.  Nothing worked.  John deere came out and noticed the fuel tank was filled with gasoline.  AAAAAHHHHH!  But how?  My son is smarter than that.   Even the mechanic said so. We had the refueling tank tested.  No other tractor had the same problem.   My son wasn't paying attention and did it.  He had topped off a nearly empty tank with gasoline instead of diesel.  It took a while to drain it and replace the fuel filter but we got it running.  Whew.  

My brother-in-law was driving into a corner gas station to fill his car with gas.

It was just before a holiday long weekend and all but one of the pumps were occupied.

A Karen swerved in from the other corner, made a run at the one vacant pump and gave Richard a smirk.

He just waited and watched as she pumped diesel into her car.

25 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Shouldn’t gas and diesel use different nozzle sizes to make this mistake impossible?

Seamus

Howdy Seamus..The diesel nozzle is bigger & the gasoline nozzle smaller so will fit in a diesel tank.

I often wondered how people put diesel in the gas tank as it don't fit  !!!!

9 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy Seamus..The diesel nozzle is bigger & the gasoline nozzle smaller so will fit in a diesel tank.

I often wondered how people put diesel in the gas tank as it don't fit  !!!!

The restricters came with unleaded fuel to prevent lead getting to catalytic converters. So since about 1975. Older gas vehicles did not have the restricter; not sure if the diesel nozzle would fit but it might.

A small amount of gas in diesel would probably not do permanent damage (emphasis on both "small" and "probably") though the engine will complain until it gets diluted out over several refuels.

I almost did it a couple years ago, caught myself just in time (at a station I often use, and realized I was not holding the green nozzle).

Archived