SASS Wire Forum

I have questions...

First I've heard of this. 

Snip-it_1633439475366.jpg.8c13bb5b385d3398592a29cffae9aa63.jpg

Snip-it_1633439354603.thumb.jpg.6f51fa0556bbb1fd31f3c0f658195289.jpg

1. Why a bolt-action vs any other rifle?

2. Pros and cons of BB Caps?

3. Are BB Caps readily available?

Aguila "Colibri" rounds are very quiet when fired from a  rifle. The firing pin release makes more noise that the round going off.

They are good rat killers.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220337-22-colibri-subsonic-powderless-20/

3 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

1. Why a bolt-action vs any other rifle?

2. Pros and cons of BB Caps?

3. Are BB Caps readily available?

1.) Easiest to load single rounds. These usually don't feed well from a magazine.

2.) Pros: Very quiet.  Good for pest control.

Cons: Usually won't feed from magazines.  Very short range.

3.) Hard to find and expensive.

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Aguila "Colibri" rounds are very quiet when fired from a  rifle. The firing pin release makes more noise that the round going off.

They are good rat killers.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220337-22-colibri-subsonic-powderless-20/

I've heard of and use the Aguila Colibri from my Father-inLaw, but not BB Caps.

Colibri is a bad choice if you plan to use a rifle.

When they first brought them out, the boxes said to not use them in a rifle. People did it anyway. And bullets got stuck. With no powder, and only the primer as the propellant charge, they did not have enough force to push the bullet through 20 inches of rifle barrel.

So they brought out a new version. Super Colibri.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220339-22-super-colibri-subsonic-20/

Uses a double priming charge. 590 fps muzzle velocity instead of 420 like the original.  And even then you need to be careful. I have a Husqvarna 22 bolt with a 22-inch barrel, and have stuck the Super Colibri in it. I now stick to 20 inches and shorter.

Out of a rifle they sound like a BB gun. Out of a 1⅞" pistol barrel they sound like one of those red plastic ring caps. I've used them many times in my backyard. No one has noticed. In my experience they are deadly on small vermin to about 50 feet.

While they will not work the action, they will feed from the magazine in my Mark II Ruger. However you can only load five rounds. Because they are shorter than a standard long rifle, they start to tip when they go in the magazine, and if you put more than five in it they end up pointed too high, and jam the magazine.

I have some. Actually these are CB caps. The original 22 was the BB cap. That stood for bulleted breach. Uses a round bullet. And then they put a pointed bullet in it, which improved the ballistics, and called it a conical bullet - thus CB cap.

465307132_22CBCapAlcan.thumb.jpg.81073163e8616da270e0417282a18716.jpg

My neighbor gave them to me. He would use them to shoot rats in his garage, because if he missed the rat it would not go through the corrugated steel roofing. And I gave him a box of the super colibri, and later that day he called me over to the fence and gave me this box of CB caps.

He said they worked for him, but I haven't tried them yet. For one, because they're hard to come by, and for two, because they're so damn little they're hard to handle.

CCI sells CB in both short and long configuration. They are more powerful than the Colibri, with both using a 29 grain bullet at 710 feet per second.

Used to use CB caps in a 6" revolver, with a baby bottle nipple over the muzzle for rats.  Very quiet.  Haven't seen CB caps for sale in years.

Archived