SASS Wire Forum

Luv' dis shotgun

Took me a while to find one but finally about 12 months ago I was lucky enough to locate this ripper of a gun.

1957  Browning 12g double auto, steel receiver, 30 '' full choke barrel.

I now use it for Trap..just literally smokes dem' targets.

You see very few autos on the layouts nowadays compared to years ago, mostly down-under it is  O /U's that are used.

Most of our clay shooting is double barrel events.

I normally shoot a Browning A grade or a Beretta  but really luv' the feel of the double auto & will be using it a lot more.

I've read about some fabulous collections of these shotguns as they came out later with alluminium receivers in different colors & in all sorts of configerations..the unique way of loading from the left side I really like, easy to break down ,..I put 4 oz of lead shot in the stock & very pleasurable to shoot.

Definitely a keeper  !!

003.JPG

004.JPG

I am not a “Shotgun guy” so forgive my ignorance, but why is it called a “double auto”?

That is a good looking shotgun. :)

Beautiful shotgun. Would look right at home next to my BT99. Thanks for sharing, I learned something new myself.

54 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am not a “Shotgun guy” so forgive my ignorance, but why is it called a “double auto”?

That is a good looking shotgun. :)

G'day Pat...They are only a 2 shot  & will never be anything more, the A5 is a 5 shot but they both share the same mechanical recoil, so no different to shooting a SXS or U/O.....like a lot of the older designs the early  Browning family have stood the test of time with some excellent gun building.

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Never heard of it before you shared, but it sounds like a neat gun.

https://gunsmagazine.com/guns/shotguns/browning-double-automatic/

Hey Charlie..Yes they are a really neat gun, they swing beautifully & a real pleasure to shoot, a good point about them is when shooting Trap unlike other auto's that throw the empty shells to your right side usually hitting the shooter beside you, the double auto throw them forward landing out the front of the shooter..so I don't get as many dirty looks :DWe have some big shoots coming up so I will be exclusively using the Browning.

Funny thing about them & is highly recomended..do not over lube as they will not function properly !!

I use reloads  & usually there ain't much left of a target when used in this gun...only thing I've added is a good curved decelerator butt pad & some weight in the stock..I am very pleased with how it performs.

Sold one last year at the gunshop I worked at.  It sold for a fairly high price, and the buyer drove 4 hours to pick it up rather than ship.  He was ecstatic to get it.   

1 hour ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

G'day Pat...They are only a 2 shot  & will never be anything more, the A5 is a 5 shot but they both share the same mechanical recoil, so no different to shooting a SXS or U/O.....like a lot of the older designs the early  Browning family have stood the test of time with some excellent gun building.

I think that would be an outstanding Turkey Gun with that full choked barrel. I have been debating on what gun I want to use for bird hunting when I leave California.

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I was told the double auto was invented by JMB son, the intention being too create an auto that could be loaded as fast as a double barrel. Meant for the dove fields. Might be all gun store BS.

Read the link in my post above.  What you said is accurate.

7 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I was told the double auto was invented by JMB son, the intention being too create an auto that could be loaded as fast as a double barrel. Meant for the dove fields. Might be all gun store BS.

Pete...Yes that's correct, when father John died  there was the start of a build that son Val refinished the design...it is the shortest auto action made & is less cluttered so to speak, they never really took off  & it was only later that they were really appreciated, of course when the gas operated guns became available  they became more preferred.

All manner of colors were later made with the alluminium recievers, some were never actually sold & now are very collectable..there is even vary rare pink one's getting around.

You never see them down-under so I was very lucky to find mine...& would you believe it was from a friend that I have shot with for years, I just happened to ask the question & he says he has one !!!!!

And ironically just a week later another came up for sale on a guns for sale site..funny how things happen, you can look for ages with no luck & then suddenly 2 in a week.

Can't remember who it was but there is a collector in the USA that has an awesome array of double auto's..varities of colors, guages, barrel lengths etc...

Cheers 'Mohawk

9 hours ago, Arkansas Harper SASS #33169 said:

I have one.  Have not shot it, and only took a couple of (hours/days/weeks) to figure it out.

Arkansas Harper 33169

Howdy AH..Curious as to the specs of yours...is it the steel or alluminiun reciever & what barrel length etc

Would you happen to have a photo ?

9 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Sold one last year at the gunshop I worked at.  It sold for a fairly high price, and the buyer drove 4 hours to pick it up rather than ship.  He was ecstatic to get it.   

Howdy Mark..Yep they get snapped up pretty quick, can you remember how much it sold for ? Was it the colored reciever ?

1 hour ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy Mark..Yep they get snapped up pretty quick, can you remember how much it sold for ? Was it the colored reciever ?

Got $950 on a gunbroker sale.  It was a steel receiver, so it was blued.

I had one a couple of years ago.  Really well built and clever gun.  The problem was it was a solution in search of a problem.  Double barrels were going out of vogue and game shotguns could hold three rounds.  Never really got off the ground.  

Archived