SASS Wire Forum

SDQs & MDQs

Hoss

Another post on the site got me to thinking about SDQs or even MDQs. I’m curious what the most common SDQ is? 

In 9+ years of shooting I’ve had 3 SDQs 

1) tripped and fell while carrying shotgun. Dropped gun 

2) moved with loaded shotgun. 

3) failed to clear a pistol at ULT. 

Two.

When I was just getting started a few years ago, turned from shooting shotgun threw a window and had to move to the next window, a spotter was standing right there beside me and he said I had swept him.  I said he shouldn't have been right by side when I had to move, but I still got the Stage DQ.

The 2nd was when placing the rifle in a vertical box before moving forward, the rifle slipped, thus a Stage DQ.

I have yet to earn a MDQ

This is my first year shooting.  I have one stage DQ so far… somehow when pick up my shotgun during a stage I contacted the grip of my left revolver and knocked it out of the holster.  Luckily I had already shot the revolvers!

Seen a bunch.  Moving with cocked guns, loaded chamber.  Dropped guns, 170 violations,  sweeping people. Not clearing at unloading table.  Multiple sdqs  , 

I had a pistol catch on a table and get yanked out of the holster. 

1. Cocked pistols in holsters.

2. Dropped guns.

3. Falling guns.

4. leaving loading table with loaded, holstered pistols to go to gun cart or somewhere.

5. Breaking 170.

These are the ones that I’ve seen most often.

In the short 15yrs I have been shooting...I have to say the MOST earned SDQ is breaking the 170° rule...

2nd is the cocked gun/hammer back...wich I believe that has been remedied? (Pale Wolf)

3rd would be getting to next stage with empty brass in pistols.

** all others are really or should be included in the 170° rule.

Ex: falling, and without having guns leave holster/hands and NOT breaking the 170° is a 'lucky you' fall...not a SDQ.

(Correct me if wrong)

MDQ :

Dropped loaded gun is first.

2nd is earning two SDQ ( as above)

3rd...I would say staging loaded guns either in a hurry, or pushing the edge, and having them fall to the ground.

I’ve had a few SDQs in the 20+ years I’ve been doing this. I’ve never had a MDQ, hope I haven’t spoken too soon!:lol:

I’ve had a couple dropped unloaded gun DQs and I swept spotters with a unloaded gun. :blush:

one of each! The Match I pulled my pistol cocked it on the way up hit the windowsill and blew a hole through the prop and gun flipped out of my hand! 

Stage moved with a loaded pistol, pulled it and coked at the wrong spot then moved my feet.

Rafe

Broke 170 when moving Left to Right (I’m a righty). SDQ. I can now move l to r or r to l. 

Dropped a pistol when holstering it - empty though. SDQ. 

I think these are my only two… so far. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Most I've seen were from poorly restaged firearms that fell, or from pistols dropped during reholstering. 

Hammer back on a staged rifle used to be common, before the rule was updated.  

I've had an MDQ when I pulled the release rope for a swinging target which was improperly set and failed to release.  It pulled the rope from my hand.  When I bent down to pick up the rope, upon standing up, my shoulder knocked my LOADED rifle off of the staging table.  It fell pointing directly up-range at the Posse.  Scared the begiggers out of me and others.  Lesson learned.  

11 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

In the short 15yrs I have been shooting...I have to say the MOST earned SDQ is breaking the 170° rule...

2nd is the cocked gun/hammer back...wich I believe that has been remedied? (Pale Wolf)

3rd would be getting to next stage with empty brass in pistols.

** all others are really or should be included in the 170° rule.

Ex: falling, and without having guns leave holster/hands and NOT breaking the 170° is a 'lucky you' fall...not a SDQ.

(Correct me if wrong)

MDQ :

Dropped loaded gun is first.

2nd is earning two SDQ ( as above)

3rd...I would say staging loaded guns either in a hurry, or pushing the edge, and having them fall to the ground.

Mine was a shotgun first stage, had a good start and put the shotgun on a level surface after use and as I turned away it fell to the ground. Only thing to say was "thats not a good sound" and on return the shotgun had closed and stood in the corner of the prop pointed downrange as if it had been placed there.

My only MDQ was 9 years ago trying to be nice and trying to repair a malfunctioning pistol with the hammer stuck at half cock. At the unloading table after being assured that all rounds had been fired, gun pointed into the side berm, pushed the cylinder just a bit and the hammer dropped the last little bit and there was a fresh hole in the sidewall of the ULT. Grateful that I did not trust the "unloaded" statement and no one was injured. Did need some clean underwear but stayed for the remaining 5 stages as TO/brasser/spotter. Don't work on others guns anymore at the range no matter how much I am asked.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’ve never had a MDQ, hope I haven’t spoken too soon!:lol:

In the 27 years I have been shooting this sport, I have been lucky, 1 SDQ and No MDQ.  I am with Rye, maybe I should keep quiet.

SDQ- I was shooting Missouri State at Branson, MO years ago with a new set of hostlers. As I was going going from the load table to the line, this kid looked at me and said "Don't screw up" I gave him a shut up kid look and staged my guns. The stage started pistols thru a doorway and drew the first revolver and shot all five targets, holstered my pistol and drew the second one and pointed it at the first target. I remember shifting my weight to get a better sight picture  and then felt something slide down my leg and hit my foot. I looked down and my revolver that I had holstered was laying on the ground. I holstered my pistol that I had pointed at the targets, reached down and picked up my revolver and holstered it. I then picked up my other guns and went to the unload table. Most of the posse watched me walk off and then they asked me why I quit. Only two people saw me pick up my revolver and nobody saw it hit the ground and knew what happened. In hindsight, had I kept shooting, I am not sure anybody would have noticed my revolver on the ground. If I had not felt it slide down my leg, I would have not missed it until I got to the unload table.

It took a while to figure out what I had done. At that time, I was not in the habit of looking my gun into the holster and I would put the gun in the holster and let go when I felt in hit the leather. The new holsters were flat across the top and I had missed the holster with my barrel and what I had felt was the front on the trigger housing hit the leather. When I let go of the revolver, the gun rotated and the revolver was sitting across the holster pointed downrange and balanced across the top on the holster. It sat there for 2-3 seconds and had I not shifted my weight, it may have stayed there. When I moved it rolled over and slid down my leg and hit my foot.

Since then, I always push it down into the holster and look if it does not feel right.  I probably could not have that happen with the holsters I use now.

Only had one SDQ that I can recall. It was on the last stage of the Kentucky State Blackpowder Shoot. I got to excited that I had shot clean on the 2nd day that after holstering my pistols that I did a little hop in victory and my strong side pistol came out of the holster. Oops!

The most common one I have seen is moving with a cocked gun.  Also seen a few holstering of a cocked pistol.  

I have had one SDQ so far.  Dropped unloaded pistol. Just after I started cowboy.  Had a Busquadero rig with the holsters tied to my legs.  Shot the pistols, holstered them and ran for the next staged firearm.  One pistol bounced out in transit.   When I could afford it, changed out my holsters.

1. TO told me I was done with that pistol and I holstered it cocked.

2. Forget to remove empty brass from second pistol after repairing the first grounded one at the ULT

3. Went to my cart without visiting the ULT. Realized the moment I took my hands off the long guns. ( real bad brain fade). It was the damnedest feeling standing at my cart knowing something wasn't right, so I put the guns in the cart and instant realization.

Hopefully there will be no more!

Archived