SASS Wire Forum

New to Cowboy Action Shooting

Slapshot

Have had the bug for a year or so now on and off to try out Cowboy action shooting. To be honest the cost of just getting started held me back for quite some time now. Was talking about getting started into the sport when I had a offer from a CAS shooter that had stopped because of the club changing the shooting day to Sunday. So I ended up trading for a Rossi lever rifle in 45 colt , a Rossi hammer double, double strong side rig (San Pedro Saddlery Tombstone)shotgun belt, 3-45 colt belt slides and a SASS badge slide. Then right after that had another former CAS shooter that had to quit shooting do to health offer me a pair of Stainless, NMV in 45 colt for what I thought was a really good price. 

Now if I can get my schedule to line up from working offshore I am planning on heading to a match that yet another CAS shooter has invited me to. So far my impression of CAS and its cowboys is that the sport is ate up with really good, genuinely nice people. I can't wait to get to my first match even if it looks like it won't be until November.

IMG_2773 (Small).JPG

IMG_2743 (Small).JPG

holsters1 (Small).jpg

Welcome! You're gonna get hooked real quick. ;)

Slapshot,

Welcome to the sport!

I believe your impression of the people involved in CAS is spot on .

Since I've been involved in Cowboy Action Shooting,I've met some of the kindest,generous, and just generally nicest people around.

I think you will come to learn what the concept of 

"The Cowboy Way " is all about .

Choctaw Jack 

Good to see that you both reload and cast bullets.  These skills will be put to good use.  Did you also score a supply of 45 Colt brass?

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Good to see that you both reload and cast bullets.  These skills will be put to good use.  Did you also score a supply of 45 Colt brass?

When I made my trade deal I ended up with 4 boxes or 50 rounds ammo, and when I picked up the Vaqueros he threw in 1 box also. So right now I have enough to get started but will be looking into more when I can build my gun fund back up. Those Vaquero's put a dent on the money fund, lol. I'm also considering buying up some 45 spl brass to use, depending on how much more expensive it is from regular 45 colt brass. 

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. I have been enjoying the site and the members comments and knowledge here.

It looks like you are ready to make a lot of loud noise and smoke.  Welcome to the fun.

Welcome aboard!

You are off to a great start with a fine looking set of irons and leather that should work for you for years.

Hoping you can get the time to make it to the range soon and have the time of your life!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Welcome aboard Slapshot! Hang on for the addiction! You have joined the best folks and the most fun goin.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Welcome Slapshot! You’ll find 99% of sass shooters to be very friendly & helpful. 

what part of Magnolia State are you from? Do you do offshore Gulf of Mexico work or inland marine? 

13 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Welcome Slapshot! You’ll find 99% of sass shooters to be very friendly & helpful. 

what part of Magnolia State are you from? Do you do offshore Gulf of Mexico work or inland marine? 

South Eastern part, below around Wayne county. I've been offshore sometime now used to work offshore overseas and now I work Gulf of Mexico. Been working drilling rigs all this time.

10 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Sorry Slapshot, I misspelled your alias. All fixed now!!

No worries its all good. I actually thought that's a pretty good one, LOL.

I'm a brand new greenhorn myself and every Aussie CAS shooter I've had the pleasure of speaking with has bent over backwards to help.

I've asked a ton of question on here and had the same response......CAS seems to attract real salt of the earth types.

Welcome you will find some of the best people on earth right here. Remember CAS is a speed and accuracy game and your reloads dont have to be powerful or fast. We have maximums that are way over the velocity needed to ring steel at very short distances. Since it may be a while tro your first match you will have time to research 45c loads. I use 4.4 gr of Cleanshot (very similar to ww231) behind a 200 gr RNFP lead bullets. We dont shoot jacketed bullets for safety and to extend the life of targets. Have fun 

Imis

22 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome you will find some of the best people on earth right here. Remember CAS is a speed and accuracy game and your reloads dont have to be powerful or fast. We have maximums that are way over the velocity needed to ring steel at very short distances. Since it may be a while tro your first match you will have time to research 45c loads. I use 4.4 gr of Cleanshot (very similar to ww231) behind a 200 gr RNFP lead bullets. We dont shoot jacketed bullets for safety and to extend the life of targets. Have fun 

Imis

I have about settled on 4.2 Clays under a 200 gr boolit, but still experimenting. For the 12 I'm running 14 gr Clays with 1 ounce load.

48 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

I have about settled on 4.2 Clays under a 200 gr boolit, but still experimenting. For the 12 I'm running 14 gr Clays with 1 ounce load.

When I started I called Hodgdon’s and asked what they recommended for .45 Colt, the man I spoke with said he was a Cowboy Action Shooter and recommended 4.5gr Clays with a 200gr. Bullet. 

On the shotgun I load on a MEC Reloader and use, Clays,  a 27 bushing and a 7/8 oz. charge bar.

Randy 

11 hours ago, The Revenuer said:

Welcome!  I am new this year as well

Welcome!!! It’s a blast! 

@Tequila Shooter @Slapshot is from southern Mississippi… @La Sombra, too!! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

2 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Welcome to the Fun !!!!

.45s Eh !

Jabez Cowboy

Well my first choice was 357's, but the 45 deal just fell into my lap so went with it.:rolleyes:

Archived