SASS Wire Forum

IMR Red

Snakebite

Well what the world is going on. Hodgdon has discontinued IMR Red. I bought a large jug of it with the intent of using it in both the Shotgun and the 38's. I wasn't going to get started until I ran out of what I am currently using, so I've never used it. Now, it's been discontinued. Does anyone know why?

Snakebite

General consensus on Shotgun World is that the bean counters at IMR division of Hodgdon calculated profit and loss, and Red and the other "colored dot" clone powders were not selling well enough to continue production.   Green, Target, and Blue all have been end-of-lined as well, as of about Dec 2020.

Agree it was a great powder.  I'll probably switch back to Red Dot when I buy next - which is probably couple of years from now.

good luck, GJ

Never could figure out why the powder makers started this copy cat thing.  Alliant Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot.  IMR Red, Green and Blue.     Alliant did the same thing with Clay Dot.  Who needs a copy of Clays?  Why bother buying a substitute when the real thing is available?

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Never could figure out why the powder makers started this copy cat thing.  Alliant Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot.  IMR Red, Green and Blue.     Alliant did the same thing with Clay Dot.  Who needs a copy of Clays?  Why bother buying a substitute when the real thing is available?

IMO there are far too many powders. My Powder Magazine is full of so many different powders that I can't even come close to remembering them all. That was the very reason that I bought "Red" in the first place. I have been trying to get rid of many powders and get down to just a few.  Very few of them are "Unique" unto themselves. 8700 one of the few that is unique and so slow that it is about the only Smokeless powder that comes close to directly replacing BP on a volume basis and keeping the pressure down, but in general powders just need to be in three categories, Fast, Med and Slow. If you know what you are doing you can load any round with any powder from those three categories. In a 38 Spec cartridge, I can't think of ANY fast burning powder that 3 gn won't work. Any of those same powders will produce a nice light Shotgun load.  I've always said that if you bring me any unknown powder, that 17 gn of it will work in a 12 ga shotgun shell. (Yeah I know that is pretty ambiguous, and some work better than others, but it is a fact). I would not be surprised to see the vast number of powders decrease in the future as reloading decreases..... yah, yah, I know that reloading is on the rise right now, but I believe that in the future that aspect of our passion will be successfully attacked by the Gun Grabbing crowd. It's just a matter of time.

Snakebite I fully agree that 3 pistol and 3 rifle powders do it all for me:

Pistol/Shotgun: Red Dot, Unique, 2400

Rifle 3031, 4350, Retumbo

As to Gun Grabbing crowd future acts, I hope not but don't know.

Fordyce

It will be the accountants who reduce the number of powders made.  The only thing that they care about is the bottom line, and to hell with the customer.

If they only have to make three, that cuts their costs down considerably.

Duffield

Every item in a mfg's catalog has a fixed cost just to have in the catalog.  The also there is the cost of money to for inventory.  Slow moving powders will be dropped from the catalog.

Don't blame the accountants they are the experts hired to efficiently use the owner's assets.  

P.S. Hodgdon has many brands; therefore, some are duplicates or equivalent in density & performance.  Therefore it is likely that more Accurate, Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR & Ramshot powders will be discontinued.

Bean counters don't always know what's best even if they are the so called expert.

Expert= Ex is a has been; Spurt is a drip under pressure................:D

On 10/3/2021 at 5:28 PM, Snakebite said:

Well what the world is going on. Hodgdon has discontinued IMR Red. I bought a large jug of it with the intent of using it in both the Shotgun and the 38's. I wasn't going to get started until I ran out of what I am currently using, so I've never used it. Now, it's been discontinued. Does anyone know why?

Snakebite

Probably the same reason primers became scarce, then expensive here, but not in Canada.  We are expected to believe that the same factory facility has more cost producing primers for sale in the US.  

Follow the money and profit margins. 

3 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Probably the same reason primers became scarce, then expensive here, but not in Canada.  We are expected to believe that the same factory facility has more cost producing primers for sale in the US.  

Follow the money and profit margins. 

Yes... I get the news letter from Federal. IMO a lot of what they put out is just pure BS! I'm starting to believe that a good deal of this shortage is by design and part of their marketing plan. I told them as much in their Comments section.  I remember when Harley Davidson made their Scoots hard to get. It just pushed up the price, which was what they wanted to do in the first place. We will not see prices drop back down to anywhere near what they were before they started the shortage..... I mean before the shortage just happened along. IMO the only thing that might do that would be the importation of large numbers of European primers back into the U.S. market. 

Snakebite

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

1st time in 2 years I found Cheddite sg primers today. Also found some CCI 300's. and bought five lbs of powder in the last couple of days.

kR

What brand of powder? I haven’t seen any Alliant powder on the shelves since last fall. Has anyone seen any new supplies of Alliant?

Yeah the past couple of weeks the local powder dealer has had a variety of Alliant powders and very few Hodgdon products.  A month ago it was the other way around.

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

700x, IMR red and at a shoot picked a lb of Win x-lite.

kR

All good powders, especially for this game.

Yes, Red is VERY comparable to Red Dot.  Loads to the same weights in most shotgun recipes.   A little denser powder, so crimp heights usually have to be reset a touch.

Last batch I saw sold was back in January.

good luck, GJ

How about CSB-1? I bought a bunch of that back years ago when there was big scare of long time shortage. 

First I've ever heard of it. I looked on the web, says it loads like Tite Group. Showed to be $499 for 10 lbs, but when you click on it, it shows out of stock. Can't imagine anyone paying that price. Except of course somebody using Drug Money to buy it. :ph34r:

15 hours ago, Snakebite said:

First I've ever heard of it. I looked on the web, says it loads like Tite Group. Showed to be $499 for 10 lbs, but when you click on it, it shows out of stock. Can't imagine anyone paying that price. Except of course somebody using Drug Money to buy it. :ph34r:

Got to spend drug money somewhere. :D

I thought it was going to save my shooting at time with the then  rumors of powder shortage.  $16/lb then...I'd take my money back...and give discount now.  I bought a lot and Non Stop even took some.  Not sure NS ever tried it, perhaps in shotgun.  Stuff is Spanish powder by Maxam.  Claims one can use Universal load data.  I found with the amount that suited my accuracy criteria, it produced more recoil than I liked as "ol duelist".  I don't reload shotgun so it just sets unused.  May be a time it is needed...of course, would need primers.

On 10/6/2021 at 8:44 AM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

How about CSB-1? I bought a bunch of that back years ago when there was big scare of long time shortage. 

I did the same with Black MZ, and Pinnacle. Got a bunch of it. No sure what to do with it. I've stopped shooting FC, Plainsman or Long Range BP. Need to get rid of it.  

On 10/5/2021 at 5:49 PM, Caboose said:

What brand of powder? I haven’t seen any Alliant powder on the shelves since last fall. Has anyone seen any new supplies of Alliant?

Three weeks ago, I scored on 8# of Titegroup and 8# of Alliant ExtraLite from Natchez SS.  The following week, I picked up another 8# of Titegroup from a local vendor.  

I have 1# of IMR Red which was set aside when I was able to get 8# of Clays and 4# of Trail Boss.

Hodgdon sources many of their powders from ADI/Thales in Australia.. who say they have no plans to produce Trail Boss in 2021.
Their news page says they plan to focus on their "core" products, which I interpreted as mostly rifle powders.

I find powder is easier to find than primers.
PowderValley and Midsouth seem to have the most offerings.
These change quickly throughout the day/week.

Online sales of powder + hazmat + shipping necessitates buying in 8# lots to ease the shipping expense pain.
My LGS finally has several 1# in stock, but they are pricey... around $40.

Archived