Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Beam Scale or Electronic Scale?


Recommended Posts

I use a Dillon beam scale.  Electronic scales are more expensive, and are easier to use, however, they are electronic and will eventually fail.  The balance beam scale will last a life time if you don't squash it and gravity still works.  RCBS also makes a good balance beam scale.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I use a Dillon beam scale.  Electronic scales are more expensive, and are easier to use, however, they are electronic and will eventually fail.  The balance beam scale will last a life time if you don't squash it and gravity still works.  RCBS also makes a good balance beam scale.

 

I've got an RCBS Model 505 that I've had forever, but was thinking of getting an electronic one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you go electronic they can be affected by fluorescent lighting from what I have read. 
 

I use an RCBS M500 beam scale. I use Lyman scale weights to check my scale. It ain’t the greatest but it works for me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I load .32 S&W Long with hollow base wadcutters using W231 and 1.4gr and my Lee powder thrower has started becoming erratic for some reason.

 

Was thinking that an electronic scale (a trustworthy one) would be quicker and simpler getting things sorted out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a lee beam scale with magnetic damper but bought a harbor freight electronic scale last year. Cross check once in a while and they agree so far

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go to Amazon and search for a jewelers scale. You can get a good one with 0.001 gram accuracy (0.015 grains) for about 30 dollars. 
 

the best accuracy you’ll ever get from a dedicated electronic powder scale is 0.1 grains and you’ll pay over $100 for it to boot. 
 

 All scales will give inaccurate measurements if there are any drafts in the vicinity. AC/heat ducts are the most common sources. Keep in mind even though you can’t feel the draft a scale can be influenced by it. 
 

Buy a set of check weights while your on Amazon. 

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Lights can't affect them. They have a transducer which sense pressure not light.

 

Chrono's can and have been affected by lighting.

 

33 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Take the power cord on electronic scale and wrap it around a strong magnet just before the scale.

That magnet removes RFI as these scales are DC powdered and very sensitive to RFI.

OLG 

What OLG posted is what I recall about fluorescent lighting affecting electronic scale. The RFI / EMI from the 1200 Hz from the lights affects the scale. Thanks OLG. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still have both on my bench.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Go to Amazon and search for a jewelers scale. You can get a good one with 0.001 gram accuracy (0.015 grains) for about 30 dollars. 
 

the best accuracy you’ll ever get from a dedicated electronic powder scale is 0.1 grains and you’ll pay over $100 for it to boot. 
 

 All scales will give inaccurate measurements if there are any drafts in the vicinity. AC/heat ducts are the most common sources. Keep in mind even though you can’t feel the draft a scale can be influenced by it. 
 

Buy a set of check weights while your on Amazon. 

 

Gotta' be honest SD....I don't know how'd I'd go converting .points of grams to grains all the time :(

Edited by Buckshot Bear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Prices on electronic scales seem to run the gamut from cheap to outrageous.  I'm sure the expensive ones work well, and I suspect that some of the inexpensive ones will also.  That said, in 1971 I paid $20 for a simple but remarkably accurate, magnetically dampened Pacific scale.  Still works just fine.

 

If I win the lottery I'll pop for a nice electronic model.  'Til then, I'm happy.  :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I have been using an RCBS 505 that I purchased back when racoons were teenagers. (Circa 1980).

Loaded all of my reloads of 40 years and ain't lost or blown up anything, yet. 

 

 

 ............ maybe you ain't tryin' hard enough ...........

 

 

 

 

 

:P

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

 

Gotta' be honest SD....I don't know how'd I'd go converting .points of grams to grains all the 

Each gram is 15.4 grains. 
 

Look up a conversion website. Search “grams to grains conversion”

 

I posted a site but it was screwy so I removed it. 

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:


This website will help.

 

https://whatisconvert.com/20-grams-in-ounces

 

Each gram is 15.4 grains. 

 

Thanks Pat, I'd struggle mate working up a load 1.3gn 1.4gn 1.5gn up to 1.8gn of W231 for my. 32 target loads for my Pardini auto.

The RCBS 5.0.5 beam scale makes it visibly very easy, but slow.

I was thinking that a good electronic powder scale would speed checking up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Buckshot Bear said:

Lee powder hoppers that you can turn off

What do ya do, ask them what their sign is or say something like “Do you believe in love at first sight, or do I have to walk by you again?”

 

:lol::rolleyes::D

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I once had one of them "turner-offers" .......

 

  .......... mine was the special "SELFturner-offer" model, which is what it did halfway through a run of competition rounds I was loading up for an "away" match .....    <_<

 

Fixed it by wrapping insulation tape around it to bind it up in the "on" position ........ was all set in campsite at 9pm REloading my reloaded ammo into the night with a torch attached to the beak of my ballcap so's I could see what I was doin' .....   :mellow:

 

Turn it on and wrap tape around it ..... was ok 'til I fixed it propper, ... I bought a Dillon   :D

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I once had one of them "turner-offers" .......

 

  .......... mine was the special "SELFturner-offer" model, which is what it did halfway through a run of competition rounds I was loading up for an "away" match .....    <_<

 

Fixed it by wrapping insulation tape around it to bind it up in the "on" position ........ was all set in campsite at 9pm REloading my reloaded ammo into the night with a torch attached to the beak of my ballcap so's I could see what I was doin' .....   :mellow:

 

Turn it on and wrap tape around it ..... was ok 'til I fixed it propper, ... I bought a Dillon   :D

 

That sounded like a fun night Wallaby!

 

I reload 9mm on my Dillon 650, but still use the Lyman turret that I've squeezed two powder droppers on for .32 Olympic centrefire match and .38 Olympic centrefire match

 

Now with CAS and reloading for six (6) I'm thinking that I'm gonna' have to get a caliber change for the XL650.

 

20211004_141543.thumb.jpg.49c3b08b19ab29dcf2144a7f24aa884d.jpg

 

20211004_141630.thumb.jpg.cc969aabe9551026d87266f18be1b73f.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

 

Gotta' be honest SD....I don't know how'd I'd go converting .points of grams to grains all the time :(


those scales will display the weight in grams, grains, ounces and carots. Just pick your poison. No need to do the conversion manually. 
 

 I have two sets and love them both. I also have a RCBS 5-0-5 and a 10-10 balance beam scales that get almost zero use. 

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your loading pistol only and just checking an electric is fine and readily available..as set get one that does units you want.

 

To further complicate things, if doing rifle rounds l personally really like my Hornady auto charge.  That thing is great and they have a pro model now and RCBS makes a great one too I hear.  For rifle by the time I seat a round the next charge is ready…and dead on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:


those scales will display the weight in grams, grains, ounces and carots. Just pick your poison. No need to do the conversion manually. 
 

 I have two sets and love them both. I also have a RCBS 5-0-5 and a 10-10 balance beam scales that get almost zero use. 

Which one did you buy. There are quite a few different ones on Amazon. I found one that gets really good reviews for $20 that will do 0.001 grams to 50 grams (approx. 770 grains)

I just have a bit of a hard time believing something that cheap works so well. 

 

JamBer Digital Milligram Pocket Scales 0.001g x 50g, Electronic Weighing Scales for Jewelry Coins Reload and Kitchen, 6 Mode Mini Gram Scale with Calibration Weights Tweezers and Weighing Pans https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0731F3F2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QNPFFA2FEEPNQ1P375FZ

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a small Franklin Arsenal digital scale that I've been using for probably 7-8 years. It's the size of a cell phone.

 

image.thumb.png.1bbfb705613ced65c3fbf01c719f5023.png

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm running a Redding beam scale. Would love to have a electronic one but most are expensive and if not I wonder if they are any good. So I have never got around to getting a electronic one.

 

Anyone got some links to some good inexpensive electronic scales/ or recommendations?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Which one did you buy. There are quite a few different ones on Amazon. I found one that gets really good reviews for $20 that will do 0.001 grams to 50 grams (approx. 770 grains)

I just have a bit of a hard time believing something that cheap works so well. 

 

JamBer Digital Milligram Pocket Scales 0.001g x 50g, Electronic Weighing Scales for Jewelry Coins Reload and Kitchen, 6 Mode Mini Gram Scale with Calibration Weights Tweezers and Weighing Pans https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0731F3F2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QNPFFA2FEEPNQ1P375FZ


Looks like a good one to me

 

I bought this one off Amazon. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011J88S8M?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

 

My other one has a built in bullseye level. Don’t remember where I bought it from. 
 

 The key to accurate measurements is making sure the scales are level. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

Anyone got some links to some good inexpensive electronic scales/ or recommendations?

I bought the Hornady G3 scale. I know I paid a few bucks for the name/logo, but it works.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-G3-1500-Electronic-Scale-050104/dp/B08SPG6GHF/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=hornady+scale&qid=1633353011&sr=8-2

 

I paid about $40 for my G3, more money at Amazon. Shop around, the Hornady M2 costs even more, don't know enough yet to decide if it is worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought one from Cabelas that I use occasionally.  It has an auto zero feature that makes it difficult to trickle up to a desired weight.  I finally learned to tap the pan each time I added small amounts of powder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I once had one of them "turner-offers" .......

 

  .......... mine was the special "SELFturner-offer" model, which is what it did halfway through a run of competition rounds I was loading up for an "away" match .....    <_<

 

Fixed it by wrapping insulation tape around it to bind it up in the "on" position ........ was all set in campsite at 9pm REloading my reloaded ammo into the night with a torch attached to the beak of my ballcap so's I could see what I was doin' .....   :mellow:

 

Turn it on and wrap tape around it ..... was ok 'til I fixed it propper, ... I bought a Dillon   :D

What is wrong with by guess and by golly?. Have you no spirit of adventure?

You OZ guys are a shy bunch!  :D

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I gave up on beam scales many years ago. However being a chemist I was used to Accurate scales.  So I have 3 electronic scales. A great 35 year old Mettler,  A newer Sartorius,(20 years old) and a 2 year old A&D out of Canada. All 3 weight perfectly,  A&D is least expensive, about $800 but works fine. All weight to .05grains easily. Buy once, cry once, and have perfect numbers the rest of your life.  If you don't need precision there are plenty of $100 electronic scales that will work for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.