Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Wheelchair shooters


9245
 Share

Recommended Posts

My girlfriend is interested in single action shooting but she is wheelchair bound with cerebral palsy, getting her a pistol is not a problem but a holster is, most holsters and belts assume the shooter is standing, they don’t even have cartridge loops on the front, which obviously would not work for a chair, I’m thinking an angled cross draw holster on the front, but what about cartridges, a traditional gun belt has no loops in the front as I mentioned.

 

She does want to compete someday, but right now she is just looking to dress up and have a little fun while she learns, she’s also not super concerned about authenticity, for obvious reasons, but the more authentic the better I suppose.

 

On the competing side, when she is ready (may be awhile), that could be an issue too because she would need exceptions.  Like having me push, things like that, and she can also only use one hand and her grip strength is limited.  Any possibility she could compete with a .22?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

She could always start and return the pistols to a table.   
let the club know that you need accommodations beforehand, and they’ll help you out.   
The Johnson Creek Regulators (down a bit south from you in Plymouth, MI) do a limited mobility match each year.  
Our last match for this season will be October 23rd.  We also for our matches allow 22’s.  
Send a PM to #Sarge or me and let us know if you want to come and give it a try.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would do everything I could for a situation such as this.

 

It is certainly more than letting a shooter with a bad shoulder not have to start in surrender position.

 

I'm thinking about one of the bays I shoot at and think a WC would be a no-go as it sits and is used. I don't think the loading and unloading table are WC accessible. Shooting is generally out windows on the raised platform. I don't think it has ramps.

 

I very much suggest contacting the club you plan to shoot at; I think my club might be able to come up with a couple more tables at ground level with advance notice. Also, scenarios for that stage might have to be written with the accommodation in mind (not shooting from a location up stairs or an alternate shooting location). A number of accommodations that are reasonable with notice would not be reasonable when requested the morning of a shoot.

 

But for what you laid out... Possible loading and unloading assistance, having a chair pusher, .22lr, staging the pistols rather than holstering... Doubt anyone at my club would object, but they really would need to know in advance.

 

If you started this thread to gauge receptiveness before contacting your local club, I think the response there will be similar.

 

This all in the context of local shoots. I do not speak for SASS at the big shoots, so ask there in advance separately. But from the sound of it, no reason for her to not shoot locally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Contact Texas Lizard.  He is an established Wheelchair shooter.  

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971
grammar
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 9245 said:

My girlfriend is interested in single action shooting but she is wheelchair bound with cerebral palsy, getting her a pistol is not a problem but a holster is, most holsters and belts assume the shooter is standing, they don’t even have cartridge loops on the front, which obviously would not work for a chair, I’m thinking an angled cross draw holster on the front, but what about cartridges, a traditional gun belt has no loops in the front as I mentioned.

 

She does want to compete someday, but right now she is just looking to dress up and have a little fun while she learns, she’s also not super concerned about authenticity, for obvious reasons, but the more authentic the better I suppose.

 

On the competing side, when she is ready (may be awhile), that could be an issue too because she would need exceptions.  Like having me push, things like that, and she can also only use one hand and her grip strength is limited.  Any possibility she could compete with a .22?

Reach out to Prairie Mary, and ask to get in touch with Pecos Jane.

I believe PJ used scabards on the back of her chair for long guns...and if I recall had a holster attached to her legs, one each below the knee.

It has been a while.

PJ also used an athletic sports chair when shooting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If someone wants to compete from a wheelchair, or needs any other accommodations, I think most clubs would make any reasonable changes or match exceptions, including constructed changes to bays, to accommodate.  Ours certainly would.   But they will need to know in advance what kinds of things are necessary.  So work with them.   Building ramps, different height tables or wider boardwalks can all be done, and once done, they are permanently available.   But those kinds of changes cannot be made the night before a match.  So make contact and help us understand what is needed--well in advance.  As far as equipment goes, almost any safe modification of norms will be acceptable in special cases such as you describe.  Just make sure Match Directors are on board. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Building ramps, different height tables or wider boardwalks can all be done, and once done, they are permanently available. 

And these things take money...but I'm sure since you're all about donating for the common good that you'd finance the improvements yourself.

 

:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And these things take money...but I'm sure since you're all about donating for the common good that you'd finance the improvements yourself.

 

:rolleyes:

I absolutely will finance them if our local club has no other way to get it done.  I've done it before and will happily do it again.  And that is a firm commitment.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

PJ also used an athletic sports chair when shooting.

Had not considered this.

 

Bring a spare wheelchair! But I would not recommend trying to be period-correct with an 1800s chair.

 

wheelchair-6-NMCWM-Chair-jpeg-762x1024.j

But if you have budget:

 

https://rehabpulse.com/products/mobility/powerchairs-scooters/all-terrain-stair-climbing-power-wheelchairs/all-terrain-power-chair-pw-4x4q.html

 

pw-4x4q_1__1.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I absolutely will finance them if our local club has no other way to get it done.  I've done it before and will happily do it again.  And that is a firm commitment.  

Such a guy!

 

Who need to be responsible when there are folks like you!

 

;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Such a guy!

 

Who need to be responsible when there are folks like you!

 

;)

I think I see a lot of folks in CAS who often willingly step up, however they can, to help make our sport accessible to all of those who want to play.   To most of us, it's a good feeling to see wheelchairs or other accommodations able to use the stages and props we've built.   To some of us, it's worth some personal expense and labor.  To others, it is worth their time, expertise and effort.  Together we get it done.   It's a very real Kings River Regulators club attitude and commitment.   

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Had not considered this.

 

Bring a spare wheelchair! But I would not recommend trying to be period-correct with an 1800s chair.

 

wheelchair-6-NMCWM-Chair-jpeg-762x1024.j

But if you have budget:

 

https://rehabpulse.com/products/mobility/powerchairs-scooters/all-terrain-stair-climbing-power-wheelchairs/all-terrain-power-chair-pw-4x4q.html

 

pw-4x4q_1__1.png

John...more like this one.

Light weight...easier to manuever.

Screenshot_20211003-184702_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Singin' Sue 71615
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mount holsters to the chair. Cartridge loops can be added to the holsters and are SASS legal. I’ll post a picture of mine in a couple of days. 
 

Lots of ways to make it work. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you look at WC there really isn't a good way to mount holsters to the chair. Especially sports chairs.

What we did;

Shooter stages all guns on the table or shelf. Extra rounds can be staged at the location for the rifle/shotgun.

Our LT and ULT are high. We added a card table to each that worked.

Our windows are low enough to allow them to stage, shoot and re-stage.

We used to have soft ground at the storefronts. We suggested the shooter bring someone to help push them. We later added concrete or wood because our shooters didn't like stepping mud or slipping on ice.

We had a shooter volunteer to carry guns to and from the stage.

Ike

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Not Dead Ed said:

She could always start and return the pistols to a table.   
let the club know that you need accommodations beforehand, and they’ll help you out.   
The Johnson Creek Regulators (down a bit south from you in Plymouth, MI) do a limited mobility match each year.  
Our last match for this season will be October 23rd.  We also for our matches allow 22’s.  
Send a PM to #Sarge or me and let us know if you want to come and give it a try.  


Unfortunately we have an activity at her church that day (trunk or treat), otherwise it would be very tempting.  I’ve a feeling it will probably be next spring or summer sometime before she’s ready for a match, sometime after the threat of snow is gone at least, ice and wheels don’t mix lol. Probably get a lot of indoor range time in over the winter though.  That’s about the perfect area though, I’m in Port Huron but she is in Auburn Hills so it wouldn’t be too terribly far, only an hourish drive.

 

I don’t suppose there is any video of the mobility match to give us some ideas?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check out our Facebook page Johnson Creek Regulators.  We have pictures of our matches there… 

I’d send a link, but Facebook is broken today.  

Edited by Not Dead Ed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Not Dead Ed said, she could always start with pistols staged on the table.  Yes we run a limited mobility match once per year where all of the stages are written as stand/sit and deliver stages (no movement). That said, any match we run we will make what ever accommodations necessary to allow disabled shooters to enjoy our sport.  We have shooters shoot from a chair.  We have shooters who the TO has to support during a stage.  I'm sure the other clubs in Michigan would offer your girlfriend the same opportunities.  You used the word "competing."  Not sure that is really accurate.  At the club level, our goals are to run a safe fun match that introduces people and keeps them involved in our sport.  I would encourage you to go to https://www.wolverinerangers.org/ and look up all of the clubs throughout Michigan.  Feel free to contact any of the contacts for any of the clubs.  Explain to them about your girlfriend's situation and tell them the accommodations that are necessary.  I think you will be positively pleased with the response.  As Ed explained, our last match of the year is our Halloween match.  We will start up again in March.  We typically have a free practice session at the end of March where new shooters can come out and try the sport.  I would encourage you to follow up with Ed or myself and bring her out to that practice.

 

Sarge 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don’t need holsters.  Hand them to her.  Even have a person on each side to retrieve and supply.  When the guns are shot put your foot behind the strong side wheel.  If you can’t get on a platform then shoot from the side at the available targets.  Do anything possible to get her out having fun

Edited by Cheyenne Culpepper 32827
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IDPA really goes out for physically challenged shooters. Esp. those wheelchair bound.

Here's a link to some pics of different set-ups/ Find the right holster maker and you can make it work!!

 

https://www.google.com/search?q=IDPA+wheelchair+holsters+pics&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwixyoyp67HzAhVlk2oFHYUMDsAQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1089&bih=706&dpr=1.25

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a younger shooter here in Maryland for a few seasons who was wheelchair bound, Handsome Ransom as I recall.  I think it was his Uncle that brought him to the matches and pushed the chair from shooting position to shooting position with the blessing of the Match Director and everyone else.  All guns, rifle, pistols, and shotgun were staged for him or passed to him when he was in position.

 

He was not there to set any speed records or win any awards, just to play Cowboy while he could.  Probably been 10 years since I saw them, but I remember to this day his smile when he had a clean stage.

 

The Uncle, wasn't a shooter, just helping this young man live his dream of playing Cowboy.  The Uncle earned the Spirit Of The Game award on year at our State Match for his efforts.  Hardly a dry eye in the place.  Hope they are both well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

John...more like this one.

Light weight...easier to manuever.

Screenshot_20211003-184702_Chrome.jpg

No...One wheelchair set up for outdoors...Off road back wheels are very good...Front caster 5 by 1 wide help for front end...Back wheels should have thorn proof tubes or liners...Carrying extra tubes or wheel for those just in case times...Two wheelchairs are hard to travel with...Pistols that fits her hands and feels good to her...Caliber to fit her needs...Holsters where they work for her...On chair or on her....After that it is trial and error....Work threw each problem one by one...You will find some things work and some things will not....And the most important thing....HAVE FUN...Oh get a nice hat...One that will say, it is me....

 

Texas Lizard

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

No...One wheelchair set up for outdoors...Off road back wheels are very good...Front caster 5 by 1 wide help for front end...Back wheels should have thorn proof tubes or liners...Carrying extra tubes or wheel for those just in case times...Two wheelchairs are hard to travel with...Pistols that fits her hands and feels good to her...Caliber to fit her needs...Holsters where they work for her...On chair or on her....After that it is trial and error....Work threw each problem one by one...You will find some things work and some things will not....And the most important thing....HAVE FUN...Oh get a nice hat...One that will say, it is me....

 

Texas Lizard

Was clarifying the style of chair PJ used.

It was 12 or so years, so many new technologies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Not Dead Ed said:

Check out our Facebook page Johnson Creek Regulators.  We have pictures of our matches there… 

I’d send a link, but Facebook is broken today.  


Took all day but I finally got the page to open (I heard facebook had some kind of hack and shutdown?), I’m lost though, I don’t use facebook, where are the pictures?  I found a gallery but it appears to contain hundreds of unrelated photos?  Maybe I’m doing it wrong lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, 9245 said:


Took all day but I finally got the page to open (I heard facebook had some kind of hack and shutdown?), I’m lost though, I don’t use facebook, where are the pictures?  I found a gallery but it appears to contain hundreds of unrelated photos?  Maybe I’m doing it wrong lol

The Limited Mobility Match was in July. If you scroll through our FB page to the July match, you can look at the photos.  I'm not sure that they will help you.  If you message me with your email address, I can share the rules that we use for our limited mobility match in addition to SASS rules.  The Limited Mobility Match Rules may be of more help to you than photographs.  Feel free to contact me with any specific questions you have.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, 9245 said:


Took all day but I finally got the page to open (I heard facebook had some kind of hack and shutdown?), I’m lost though, I don’t use facebook, where are the pictures?  I found a gallery but it appears to contain hundreds of unrelated photos?  Maybe I’m doing it wrong lol

Hi, try this link, if I copied it right, it’ll take you right to the July Match photos.     https://www.facebook.com/JohnsonCreekRegulators/posts/4519547124731170

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.