SASS Wire Forum

How can we effectively market CAS

Dusty Devil Dale

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

"Younger" depends on your perspective. Almost all of the shooters featured in the Light "Em Up video shoot in the 49er or above category.

Trust me, they're younger.

56 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Trust me, they're younger.

I resemble that remark

1 hour ago, Roger Rapid said:

The real fault is founded in the very idea of implementing a local marketing strategy. SASS is an international - i.e., “global” - organization and sport, and the marketing thrust must be global. The marketing plan(s) must be developed by “corporate” and driven out by corporate to the potential audience. (I'm not suggesting that clubs should not be proactive - we should be. But we should have powerful marketing tools developed by corporate that help proliferate the corporate message.)

This is so right!!!

And yet...it kind of goes un-noticed and folks then resort their little videos...like these are going to impact our game in any significant way. Do you have any idea how diluted the market place is with videos???

Ugh...Oy...and I give up!

Phantom

19 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

This is so right!!!

And yet...it kind of goes un-noticed and folks then resort their little videos...like these are going to impact our game in any significant way. Do you have any idea how diluted the market place is with videos???

Ugh...Oy...and I give up!

Phantom

So to paraphrase/hopefully reiterate your original point:

What (if any) marketing is SASS doing? 

It would be great if SASS staff  would post here and let us all know what they are doing (or not doing) with regard to marketing our CAS game.   

But it doesn't sound like, working from our level,  there is much opportunity to change very much, either in our marketing approach, or in  SASS admin decisions. 

But I sure didn't know they have a marketing plan--or how to assist in implementing it.   It doesn't sound like it has taken much prominence or priority.  

I wish there was an easy answer to marketing. I'm surprised at the number of folks I mention CAS to and they have never heard of it. Whether it be at the hospital or bumping into old friends. When I tell someone I won't be around due to a match, the conversation starts. How many check it out or start shooting, I can't say. I have recruited a few however. Back when I joined, it was because someone else left "Cowboy Chronicles" laying around in the office. Now that's a non starter! As Scarlett said, gun shows help, but hasn't been real effective for us and of course due to COVID we haven't them either.

I have some perspective as a writer. I love to hunt turkey. I am a member of a national turkey hunting organization. After talking with some local folks in Indiana I decided to write a free monthly spot about turkey conservation in the name of the organization that I sent out to local publications. Some of them used it, so didn't. The local reps thought it was great. I thought I was spreading the word and doing good. After about four articles I got a call from the national reps asking me to stop. They wanted to be in control of what information was being sent out, what message was being presented, and where it was sent. I stopped.

This organization has paid employees but the vast majority are volunteers. The volunteers follow guidance from the paid employees. When we go to the yearly banquets, they are all alike in format and content. The paid folks at the organization do all of the advertising, magazine publishing, and business partnerships. It's like the military. The paid folks are the officers. The volunteers are the enlisted folks. The officers makes the plans and disseminate the orders. The enlisted folks do the work and make the plan happen. The enlisted don't do the planning. But, the officers and enlisted have open communication to work together. If you know of this organization you know how effective they have been the last 50 years.

What we appear to be missing in SASS is leadership and communication from the top. It's like trying to steer a ship from the engine room. Clubs can do all they want at a local level but with out someone at the helm plotting the course, we are going to go in circles or crash on the rocks.

15 hours ago, Wyo Joe said:

If only all of the energy wasted on the wire was used for good… I haven’t been around SASS for 30 years or nothin but the way y’all talk to each other sure doesn’t fit with the Spirit of the Game I always see at shoots

Hence  the ole’ phrase…..”SASS ain’t the Wire, and the Wire ain’t SASS.” ;)

Sadly when searching things on the ‘net these are some of the things folks might see.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Eyesa Hong

There IS an easy solution to marketing – marketing is not a hidden art and it's not rocket science. And there are thousands of organizations with qualified marketing personnel who know how to craft concise programs to engage both their current and NEW audiences.  

With the exception of a drive last year to get folks to sign up for Life Memberships (to raise capital) SASS has done NOTHING to drive new memberships.

The sad part is that the future of OUR sport is in "corporate's" hands, and it will shrivel up someday like an old creek bed.

RR

19 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Would LOVE to hear about the Marketing efforts made for these entities by their general membership.

Looking forward to reading your response.

Phantom

I cannot talk to a member of the Elks without being recruited.  Recruiting is in their dna.  Yes, they are incorporated and they have bylaws.

Everyone in my Rotary club was always looking to recruit members.  We were deeply involved in community projects, charitable work and scholarships.  There was nothing in it for the members other than supporting their community but this was a group of very enthused people who took pride in getting things done. Again, incorporated with bylaws.  

in my working life I served on several different boards.  I was recruited because there was something in it for them by having me on their board.  One of those roles was promoting the organization among my circle of business contacts.  

There is an entire training course on running non-profit organizations.  That includes how you recruit a board aligned with the goals of the organization, fund raising, marketing, administration, and tax laws.  This is all pretty formulaic, you just need to have the right people in place and follow the recipe.

4 minutes ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

I cannot talk to a member of the Elks without being recruited.  Recruiting is in their dna.  Yes, they are incorporated and they have bylaws.

Everyone in my Rotary club was always looking to recruit members.  We were deeply involved in community projects, charitable work and scholarships.  There was nothing in it for the members other than supporting their community but this was a group of very enthused people who took pride in getting things done. Again, incorporated with bylaws.  

in my working life I served on several different boards.  I was recruited because there was something in it for them by having me on their board.  One of those roles was promoting the organization among my circle of business contacts.  

There is an entire training course on running non-profit organizations.  That includes how you recruit a board aligned with the goals of the organization, fund raising, marketing, administration, and tax laws.  This is all pretty formulaic, you just need to have the right people in place and follow the recipe.

The only issue I have with this analogy is that SASS is a For Profit organization...and it's Mission Statement would be significantly different from the Rotary Club's:

We provide service to others, promote integrity, and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through our fellowship of business, professional, and community leaders.

Phantom

2 hours ago, San Quinton, SASS #4818 said:

Anybody ever thought of putting together a timeline of SASS as an organization?

Owners/obligations/assets/membership - by year?

It might take a while and a good bit of input but it might be an eye opener.

Who has that information? I could speculate 10k members in 1996, 20k in 1998, 50k in 2002. Numbers were growing substantially. Even 2005 there was growth after the move from SOCAL.

Something happened around 2008 and things started going south. I know a bunch of folks that didn't renew memberships after the increase 3-4 years back. My wife quit after 16 years.

37 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Get SASS branded jerky and coffee to sell at gun shows and online.

We'll be famous. 

Instead of Black Rifle Coffee Company....we'll have Lever Action Rifle Company. Six Shooter Espresso Shots...Black Powder Latte....  You're onto something there...:lol:

25 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Instead of Black Rifle Coffee Company....we'll have Lever Action Rifle Company. Six Shooter Espresso Shots...Black Powder Latte....  You're onto something there...:lol:

“Black Powder Latte”??? What the….har! Rather “Black Powder Triple Espresso”. :P

Phantom...

Re: "Market research being rather scientific..."  - you are absolutely correct. The psychographic and demographic aspects of marketing are the "number crunching" components are are very intricate, and somewhat scientific. In fact, how that information is captured from all of us today is VERY scientific. There are many elements to "marketing" and it's not just about doing ads or making up flyers. In fact, the advertising and promotional component - while creative - is the simplest part of the marketing process. Understanding who the target audience is, what they eat, what hobbies they like, what clothes they wear, where they live, what their income is, and how to excite and motivate them is the "secret sauce" of marketing. A Madison Avenue marketing guy would tell you that "... marketing is the art of managing the perception of a product or service in the customer's mind."

Anyway, I'm being windy... I don't see even a whisper of this going on in our organization.

RR

17 minutes ago, Roger Rapid said:

Phantom...

Re: "Market research being rather scientific..."  - you are absolutely correct. The psychographic and demographic aspects of marketing are the "number crunching" components are are very intricate, and somewhat scientific. In fact, how that information is captured from all of us today is VERY scientific. There are many elements to "marketing" and it's not just about doing ads or making up flyers. In fact, the advertising and promotional component - while creative - is the simplest part of the marketing process. Understanding who the target audience is, what they eat, what hobbies they like, what clothes they wear, where they live, what their income is, and how to excite and motivate them is the "secret sauce" of marketing. A Madison Avenue marketing guy would tell you that "... marketing is the art of managing the perception of a product or service in the customer's mind."

Anyway, I'm being windy... I don't see even a whisper of this going on in our organization.

RR

Yer spot on (particularly with the last statement)...and it made me think back a couple...few...decades about how much more manual the data collecting was. The folks of today have NOOOOO idea!

:lol:

I'm totally new to the game, haven't even been to my first shoot, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. But on the outside looking in, the 2 biggest things limiting new membership in this sport are the cost and lack of knowing it is out there. Mainly the cost. If you go full budget and say you find 2 revolvers $400 ea, then a double for say $400 also, then maybe you stumble on a lever gun for $500 you are $1700.00 and you still need leather. All the checking I did shows you can get a good starter set for about $350 so now you are over 2K. For starting out in a hobby that is allot. I was lucky enough to have 2 former shooters make me some decent deals to get me with the guns I need to shoot. I say shoot because thats my main goal is to shoot and have fun. 

So for most people that is allot to shell out to support a hobby to start. The other is there is virtually no promotion that every day people see. Want to promote your sport locally? Put it out there for people to see. Print flyers have a couple days a year you host a open house at your club. Walk people through shooting a stage. Different events for Ms (other states more than likely have simular events) like Pecan, Peanut , Blueberry festivals dress up and walk around and interact with the people especially the youngins. 

IMO to get CAS to grow and live you need to put it out there. Its not all about fancy marketing. Its about making people aware by peaking there interest. 

JMO as a new member. 

29 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

I'm totally new to the game, haven't even been to my first shoot, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. But on the outside looking in, the 2 biggest things limiting new membership in this sport are the cost and lack of knowing it is out there. Mainly the cost. If you go full budget and say you find 2 revolvers $400 ea, then a double for say $400 also, then maybe you stumble on a lever gun for $500 you are $1700.00 and you still need leather. All the checking I did shows you can get a good starter set for about $350 so now you are over 2K. For starting out in a hobby that is allot. I was lucky enough to have 2 former shooters make me some decent deals to get me with the guns I need to shoot. I say shoot because thats my main goal is to shoot and have fun. 

So for most people that is allot to shell out to support a hobby to start. The other is there is virtually no promotion that every day people see. Want to promote your sport locally? Put it out there for people to see. Print flyers have a couple days a year you host a open house at your club. Walk people through shooting a stage. Different events for Ms (other states more than likely have simular events) like Pecan, Peanut , Blueberry festivals dress up and walk around and interact with the people especially the youngins. 

IMO to get CAS to grow and live you need to put it out there. Its not all about fancy marketing. Its about making people aware by peaking there interest. 

JMO as a new member. 

Welcome pard. 

1 hour ago, Slapshot said:

Welcome to the game!

The money issue is brought up about every...oh...month or so. While I feel for those that are on a tight budget, it's just the way it is. In todays world, getting into a sport for under $5k is cheap.

But to the point and the referenced quote of yours. The issue that many, including myself, have is that the "You" in your statement needs to be changed to "SASS". Also, it actually is about solid / effective Marketing...how fancy...that's up for debate. But without a true marketing effort, there is no promotion...no growth. And the attrition rate for our members is rather high...so...piecemeal, club membership marketing efforts will not cut it.

Phantom

20 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Welcome to the game!

The money issue is brought up about every...oh...month or so. While I feel for those that are on a tight budget, it's just the way it is. In todays world, getting into a sport for under $5k is cheap.

But to the point and the referenced quote of yours. The issue that many, including myself, have is that the "You" in your statement needs to be changed to "SASS". Also, it actually is about solid / effective Marketing...how fancy...that's up for debate. But without a true marketing effort, there is no promotion...no growth. And the attrition rate for our members is rather high...so...piecemeal, club membership marketing efforts will not cut it.

Phantom

I guess it all in how you look at it pard. You can get into allot of hobby's under 5k start. Tight budget or not it is a problem with growth of the sport. 

I disagree that club membership efforts won't work or at the very least help. And I guess why I use you is because it is you and him and her and the next SASS member that can promote the (their) sport. Case in point first time I ever heard about CAS is from a CAS member I met at a new job. Not a SASS marketing promotion. Maybe that would work if you used billboards and tv commercials. But my point is , the members themselves can go along way in promoting the sport.  

In my opinion the only way that SASS could market the game and increase membership would be TV commercials, social media. But it would still be hard for small clubs to benefit from that marketing unless they themselves put it out there they have a local club. 

Just my 2 cents that and about $5 bucks might get you a small cup of coffee at Starbucks.

23 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

@Scarlett

Thank you!! I tried a bunch of times. 

Big hugs!!

Scarlett

18 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

I guess it all in how you look at it pard. You can get into allot of hobby's under 5k start. Tight budget or not it is a problem with growth of the sport. 

Again, this issue is a monthly discussion...Want to play the game...whatever game it is, you fork out the necessary dollars. I wanted to get into racing Porsche...damn! Didn't ask them to bring down costs so that I could play...is what it is. SASS is relatively cheap.

I disagree that club membership efforts won't work or at the very least help. And I guess why I use you is because it is you and him and her and the next SASS member that can promote the (their) sport. Case in point first time I ever heard about CAS is from a CAS member I met at a new job. Not a SASS marketing promotion. Maybe that would work if you used billboards and tv commercials. But my point is , the members themselves can go along way in promoting the sport.  

Not that I've been in the game long...but I'm rather sick and tired of folks asking the "membership" to do all the work. There are a LOT of marketing efforts that can be had that would promote the game enough that it might mitigate the loss from old age attrition. Small little anecdotal "wins" won't do it.

In my opinion the only way that SASS could market the game and increase membership would be TV commercials, social media. But it would still be hard for small clubs to benefit from that marketing unless they themselves put it out there they have a local club. 

I find these statements fascinating. The thought that "TV Commercials, Social Media" are the only two media mechanisms that can be utilized to advertise/promote the game. Lord...if Marketing were only that simple. Get people to SASS Website/Facebook/etc and then have a little button that says "Find a cool SASS Club near you"...actually have the Map feature work...shazam!

Just my 2 cents that and about $5 bucks might get you a small cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Not into Starbucks...sorry.

32 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

The shooters that do most of the work don't have time to market, work 50-60 hours a week, set up matches, and shoot other matches. They have reached a point where many clubs are one or two members away from folding. The last thing on my mind is hanging around a gun show for two days after working all week. I do talk to folks at work, and offer my ammo and guns to folks that come out and shoot.

Welcome @Slapshot! It’s the most fun ever!! I agree with you that WE, SASS members, are OUR best advertisement! People want to feel wanted and welcomed and WE cowboys don’t that VERY well!!  

Too often I feel that we figure that “someone else will do it” - and not just in SASS but in EVERY group I’ve ever been a part of -civic, religious, etc…

I talk about SASS at every opportunity. We had a big festival in my town this past weekend - cancelled last year - so it was a big deal. Next year, I’m gonna buy a spot and dress up in my best Scarlett duds and promote local gun clubs and SASS! Mark your calendars! :wub:

Hugs and love!

Scarlett

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Again, this issue is a monthly discussion...Want to play the game...whatever game it is, you fork out the necessary dollars. I wanted to get into racing Porsche...damn! Didn't ask them to bring down costs so that I could play...is what it is. SASS is relatively cheap.

Not that I've been in the game long...but I'm rather sick and tired of folks asking the "membership" to do all the work. There are a LOT of marketing efforts that can be had that would promote the game enough that it might mitigate the loss from old age attrition. Small little anecdotal "wins" won't do it.

I find these statements fascinating. The thought that "TV Commercials, Social Media" are the only two media mechanisms that can be utilized to advertise/promote the game. Lord...if Marketing were only that simple. Get people to SASS Website/Facebook/etc and then have a little button that says "Find a cool SASS Club near you"...actually have the Map feature work...shazam!

Not into Starbucks...sorry.

I'm sorry that I gave my opinion. But lets make it clear.

1-First I didn't say to lower the cost. I said that was a problem with membership. And no it ain't cheap.

2-I said nothing about members doing all the work . By promoting the game I meant talking about it to other folks. Sheesh you'd think I told you to set up a street corner venue. And I never said that marketing would not work either. 

3-Nor did I say that was the only marketing that would work but I do believe that in this day and age it would be a good start.

And now for the last I'm sorry giving my opinion has evidently ticked you off. But it takes allot to get under this old Marines skin. So I will end my discussion with you with have a nice night .

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Welcome @Slapshot! It’s the most fun ever!! I agree with you that WE, SASS members, are OUR best advertisement! People want to feel wanted and welcomed and WE cowboys don’t that VERY well!!  

Too often I feel that we figure that “someone else will do it” - and not just in SASS but in EVERY group I’ve ever been a part of -civic, religious, etc…

I talk about SASS at every opportunity. We had a big festival in my town this past weekend - cancelled last year - so it was a big deal. Next year, I’m gonna buy a spot and dress up in my best Scarlett duds and promote local gun clubs and SASS! Mark your calendars! :wub:

Hugs and love!

Scarlett

Thank you Scarlet you just said exactly what I was trying to convey across. 

5 minutes ago, Assassin said:

The shooters that do most of the work don't have time to market, work 50-60 hours a week, set up matches, and shoot other matches. They have reached a point where many clubs are one or two members away from folding. The last thing on my mind is hanging around a gun show for two days after working all week. I do talk to folks at work, and offer my ammo and guns to folks that come out and shoot.

This statement is EXACTLY what I was taking about. WE are letting someone else set up the match, do the scoring, write the stages, AND WE expect THEM to go hang out at some promotional event. 

I don’t set up though I will help tear down. I don’t know how to do the scoring beyond a posse and I don’t write stages (you can thank me later). Bullets By Scarlett IS my job…so when someone asks me what I do, I tell them. When my husband wants to go set up at a Gun Show (once or twice a year is PLENTY), I’m game IF I can have a SASS table! If WE each did whatever we can to help the sport, the club, EACH OTHER, it’d go a long way…and, other marketing can fill in where necessary - not my area of expertise! :ph34r:

Hugs and more hugs!

Scarlett

13 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

I'm sorry that I gave my opinion.

You need not apologize to ANY of us.

Hugs,

Scarlett

Archived