SASS Wire Forum

How can we effectively market CAS

Dusty Devil Dale

Another  thread kept derailing in this direction, so I opened this one to create a place to specifically discuss marketing of CAS.  

Regarding growth and marketing, it seems to me we face some serious barriers, both now and possibly new and worse ones in the future. 

In every sport, a big part of generating interest among new participants is allowing them to image themselves owning the equipment.  Whether it be skis, dirt bikes, bicycles or guns, ownership is a big part of the fun.  And it isn't  just men who enjoy owning things.  My wife's interest in CAS more than tripped when she bought her new leather rigs and began accumulating western attire and guns OF HER OWN.  

But right now, new shooters cannot make many of the essential purchases very easily.  We can coax them to try our game, but if they cannot buy the toys-- guns, reloaders, ammo or components-- it remains more like visiting a sports game than playing.  We generously lend and share our equipment, to try to patch those holes for new folks, but if they can't buy their own gear, it just isn't the same permanent attachment. 

If the current Administration and Congress succeed in tightening down on all foreign gun imports, we could be pretty much finished.  It just isn't likely that US manufacturers will  fill the void.  Our CAS guns probably aren't the ones they would choose to produce.  All of this could effectively cap our future growth.  We should be working to make sure that single action firearms and antique replicas are not included in import bans.  

We have some very accomplished marketing people playing in our sport.  We (SASS) possibly should be finding and consulting with them, as a team,  on how to deal with these issues that extend beyond just market demographics; in particular the ownership pride--purchase barriers.   It has to be more than just finding new potential participant markets--at least for now.  

I'm interested in seeing your thoughts and ideas.  And rather than blame SASS or others for what is not being done, try to keep it positive about ideas and approaches that could help.  

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Availability of guns is a factor but there is another problem - lack of awareness.

I've been in shooting sports for about 20 years but I never heard of SASS until February 2021 when I randomly bought my first single action revolver and started looking at what to do with it.

I haven't seen anything in gun magazines, nothing was on the open social media and since I didn't grow up on westerns as many of you did, there was no interest on my side without awareness.

I think the answer is social media for younger people - Tik-Tok, Snapchat... Facebook is for old people....

It is the new platform to show pretty pictures of pretty guns and fun action.  Do we have a marketing person working for SASS?  Social media coordinator that created and actively manages accounts with 1000s of followers?

Create content that speaks to age group we want to bring in... concentrate your effort on younger SASS members, highlight attractive - young and sexy people of SASS (yes, sex appeal sells!)

Based on what I saw in chronicles and Facebook groups- we are content catering to ourselves... that's a big mistake.

15 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

Availability of guns is a factor but there is another problem - lack of awareness.

I've been in shooting sports for about 20 years but I never heard of SASS until February 2021 when I randomly bought my first single action revolver and started looking at what to do with it.

I haven't seen anything in gun magazines, nothing was on the open social media and since I didn't grow up on westerns as many of you did, there was no interest on my side without awareness.

I think the answer is social media for younger people - Tik-Tok, Snapchat... Facebook is for old people....

It is the new platform to show pretty pictures of pretty guns and fun action.  Do we have a marketing person working for SASS?  Social media coordinator that created and actively manages accounts with 1000s of followers?

Create content that speaks to age group we want to bring in... concentrate your effort on younger SASS members, highlight attractive - young and sexy people of SASS (yes, sex appeal sells!)

Based on what I saw in chronicles and Facebook groups- we are content catering to ourselves... that's a big mistake.

Good observations, IMO.  I think you nailed it.  I hope folks read carefully what you had to say.

I work at a college, and have been talking with campus police about starting a CAS club on campus.  They are all in, and have plans to support this effort with safety training, and storage of firearms.  The college president is on board as well.  This is exciting, but still in the dreaming/talking phase.  When we actually get started, we will have the same purchasing hurdles outlined in the OP.

That said, youth clubs could be good a way to plant this sport in the hearts of future generations.

You are going to think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

One of our talented writers could write a screenplay for an 8 to 10 episode Netflix series with CAS as the backdrop.  Lots of guns and pretty women and handsome guys in cowboy clothes, solving a murder mystery that the regular cops can't.  The finale includes fast cars and mounted shooters and cowboys and cowgirls and colorful characters shooting it out with the bad guys.

Non-shooters and current gun owners alike watch Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.  Show them the fun in an entertaining TV series rather than advertising.  The Walking Dead helped make the Colt Python more popular.  Maybe we need CAS competitors versus Zombies.

My oldest daughter develops social media and hires social media employees for companies and municipalities and in her opinion SASS is really missing the boat by not developing and utilizing the social media venues. Keeping information up to date and current is critical to the success of social media as an advertising or promotion tool. If someone visits your FB page or other media front that has not been updated for weeks, months or even years they won’t pay attention. She was here last month and we were discussing CAS and social media and she commented that EOT 2021 is ancient history and it’s important to have what’s happening now on your social media tools.

In my opinion having endless videos of old white guys or young white guys shooting fast or slow stages isn’t going to broaden our membership base. Videos of lady participants, Hispanic participants, Asian participants, African American participants, handicapped participants, young participants, etc….all need to be included. Hiring a full time promotions and marketing person or persons and investing in the hardware and technology to put this together would be a big step forward. The Outlaw Travis James and others would be a wealth of information if asked, I’m sure.

Does anyone else out there think the SASS Homepage is extremely dull and boring? How tough would it be to have a looped video on the homepage instead of the same picture month after month? Maybe have a new video weekly. Not many younger folks get their information from the same places that we did growing up, like newspapers, local news and nightly news, etc.. they are focused on digital media and so are we if you really look at it.

It may eventually move SASS to have a chat line for their Homepage. 

SASS depending on its clubs and club members to promote and grow the sport is not going to reap long term rewards, in my opinion. 

Part of the problem is sass went from very inclusive and welcoming to very exclusive to get into.  

One of the biggest mistakes I see over and over is people saying buy once cry once. That you need  To buy race ready slicked up guns to have fun.  The way the market is currently you are looking at $6000 plus if you do that.   Very few will be able to do that.     I've seen many times new  shooters heckled, teased,  embarrassed or ridiculed because they didn't have big name action work.   A new person cut corners, and saved to get what they could afford, only to have shooters who should know better belittle them.  

We are taking over a gun shop at the beginning of the year.  Part of what we will be offering is sass setups.  Im working with several leather shops but we plan to offer complete sets.  Budget to elite.    Used rigs used guns entry level. 

Mid range, or money to burn range. 

At gunsmoke this year I overheard an experienced shooter who should have know better.  Talking to a new shooter about the run I had just made on the speed pistol side match. How it was due to me having slicked up fancy guns and the new shooters stock guns were junk.   The new shooter was visibly affected and dejected.  Definitely not what we need to be doing!

Luckily I was able chat with the young man and put things straight. Easiest way to convince him was take his guns and shoot a time within .5 seconds of my guns. Then explain the differences between our guns let him shoot mine

It helped that my pistols were set up by me. Not some big name gunsmith. 

I got more out of that than beating the fastest 2 handed shooter by a second. 

PLUS ONE for Dogooder.  There is way too large a percentage of the "Hive Mind" is tell one and all you have to have trix guns to play this game.  You don't.  Kitchen Table spring change and you're most of the way there.  So is giving the impression one can't play with budget level guns.  You certainly can.  In many instances, the Hive Mind for nothing but SPEED is killing us faster than getting old is.   

3 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

We (SASS) possibly should be finding and consulting with them, as a team,  on how to deal with these issues that extend beyond just market demographics; in particular the ownership pride--purchase barriers.   It has to be more than just finding new potential participant markets--at least for now.  

I'm interested in seeing your thoughts and ideas.  And rather than blame SASS or others for what is not being done, try to keep it positive about ideas and approaches that could help.  

Seriously?

Why are you putting the burden on the non-equity members of SASS????

Phantom

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Seriously?

Why are you putting the burden on the non-equity members of SASS????

Phantom

Im having trouble understanding your point.  Can you explain what you mean by "non-equity members"?  

Truly, I wasn't trying to assign the burden to anybody or any group in particular, although I do think SASS could and should take the lead.  But with that said,  I think some of our folks with marketing skills might like to connect and provide input.  

41 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Im having trouble understanding your point.  Can you explain what you mean by "non-equity members"?  

Truly, I wasn't trying to assign the burden to anybody or any group in particular, although I do think SASS could and should take the lead.  But with that said,  I think some of our folks with marketing skills might like to connect and provide input.  

Well...some memberships are equity memberships...you know, each member owns a percentage of the entity.

And we all know...or should know that SASS isn't that kind of membership.

Do you suggest folks start volunteering their "marketing skills" to other privately owned businesses???  I for one don't like enabling behavior.

Phantom

anybody remember " Chiseler" ??  Believe his real name was Ken Amarossa, but my memory fails me. He was

a marketing genius that SASS hired in the early 90's. . He grew SASS larger and faster than anyone imagined

Story was he was paid on a commission basis and he "earned" what the board then thought was excessive

and butted heads with too many board  menders, and he was fired.

Be careful what you wish for.

28 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well...some memberships are equity memberships...you know, each member owns a percentage of the entity.

And we all know...or should know that SASS isn't that kind of membership.

Do you suggest folks start volunteering their "marketing skills" to other privately owned businesses???  I for one don't like enabling behavior.

Phantom

I guess it all depends whether or not we "non-equity" members care enough to step up to keep our sport/game from fading out.   If SASS doesn't ever do effective marketing, are we willing to settle for those outcomes?  

Whether we are "equity members" or just interested parties, those who have skills to share (and desire to help) do have a stake in CAS (if not in SASS).  I would hate to see their offers of help rejected. 

It's apparent that SASS isn't yet getting marketing done to the satisfaction of many here, (apparently from your initial post,  including you).  So do you envision somehow forcing them to change how they do business?   

Options seem limited.  Either 1) SASS hires skilled consultants or staff  and does it, 2) we "non-equity members" do it independently, or 3)  both work together.   Some synergy seems most likely to succeed, IMHO, and from posts here on the Wire, there seem to be people with marketing skills who would like to help and participate.   What's wrong with that? 

13 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I guess it all depends whether or not we "non-equity" members care enough to step up to keep our sport/game from fading out.   If SASS doesn't ever do effective marketing, are we willing to settle for those outcomes? 

My answer is yes...I can't believe that a customer would care more about a company than the company's principals...if they do, than the company should die and make room for a new one.

15 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Whether we are "equity members" or just interested parties, those who have skills to share (and desire to help) do have a stake in CAS (if not in SASS).  I would hate to see their offers of help rejected. 

Oh...really...now you're separating Cowboy Shooting from SASS. You can do what you want with your free time and offer all your expertise up for free! I love Porsche, but if they do a lousy job, they suffer the consequences...as it should be. 

19 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It's apparent that SASS isn't yet getting marketing done to the satisfaction of many here, (apparently from your initial post,  including you).  So do you envision somehow forcing them to change how they do business?   

Not my business. If they die, so be it. Cowboy shooting will continue on. I guess you think...based on your posts, that you think that they aren't doing a good job and that we (members...yes, non-equity members), should volunteer our services. They are a private entity! Why would you suggest this? Do you suggest this for other private entities?

22 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Options seem limited.  Either 1) SASS hires skilled consultants or staff  and does it, 2) we "non-equity members" do it independently, or 3)  both work together.   Some synergy seems most likely to succeed, IMHO, and from posts here on the Wire, there seem to be people with marketing skills who would like to help and participate.   What's wrong with that? 

First, I'm sorry that you have a problem with the concept of non-equity memberships...you obviously are not a golfer.

You also seem to have missed my "enabling" comment. So I'll answer your question with a question: Why should we donate our time and skills to a private company?

Phantom

31 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

My answer is yes...I can't believe that a customer would care more about a company than the company's principals...if they do, than the company should die and make room for a new one.

Oh...really...now you're separating Cowboy Shooting from SASS. You can do what you want with your free time and offer all your expertise up for free! I love Porsche, but if they do a lousy job, they suffer the consequences...as it should be. 

Not my business. If they die, so be it. Cowboy shooting will continue on. I guess you think...based on your posts, that you think that they aren't doing a good job and that we (members...yes, non-equity members), should volunteer our services. They are a private entity! Why would you suggest this? Do you suggest this for other private entities?

First, I'm sorry that you have a problem with the concept of non-equity memberships...you obviously are not a golfer.

You also seem to have missed my "enabling" comment. So I'll answer your question with a question: Why should we donate our time and skills to a private company?

Phantom

Hard to respond to that.  

Your comment is pretty similar in core concept to  what I was saying a couple months ago, when Misty announced the SASS move.  I took a serious beating here, including from you, for being critical of the private company's non-responsiveness to members' expectations and for inferring that they should disclose finances, since they call themselves an "organization" and not just a business.   Now, you appear to see the membership expectation of new marketing activity from that private business as different somehow.  I don't grasp the difference.  Either they are an independent business or they are a club that serves membership expectations -- or perhaps (hopefully) both.

I was trying to avoid another beating here and stay above that kind of  grovelling in this thread.   

As far as contributing, like MANY here, I will donate help to CAS (distinguish that from SASS) wherever there is need and I have the skill, resources and capability.   I love the CAS sport.  I don't need to love (or change) the (SASS) organization/business.  I'm just a member there for whatever mutual benefit that  yields.  

1 hour ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

anybody remember " Chiseler" ??  Believe his real name was Lou Amarossa, but my memory fails me. He was

a marketing genius that SASS hired in the early 90's. . He grew SASS larger and faster than anyone imagined

Story was he was paid on a commission basis and he "earned" what the board then thought was excessive

and butted heads with too many board  menders, and he was fired.

Be careful what you wish for.

There was was more than head but'n going on with him.

Let's just say he was a magical, and made money disappear. 

OLG 

25 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I took a serious beating here, including from you

Post those in context and I'll respond...otherwise these are meaningless comments to me. But...a private company owes you NOTHING when it comes to their finances...seriously...why would you think otherwise?

28 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I was trying to avoid another beating here and stay above that kind of  grovelling in this thread. 

Govelling...interesting choice of words. For I would say that your positions displays obsequious characteristics. 

32 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

As far as contributing, like MANY here, I will donate help to CAS (distinguish that from SASS) wherever there is need and I have the skill, resources and capability.   I love the CAS sport.  I don't need to love (or change) the (SASS) organization/business.  I'm just a member there for whatever mutual benefit that  yields.  

Interesting...so you never advocated volunteering one's skills, resources and capabilities to SASS? This is all about your local clubs...or clubs in general????

Phantom

26 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

There was was more than head but'n going on with him.

Let's just say he was a magical, and made money disappear. 

OLG 

And Colt SAA's...

:o

Almost any organization of any reasonable size is incorporated.  There are a lot of very good legal reasons to incorporate including protecting individual members or board members from having to personally respond to a lawsuit.

Most other organizations we belong to are incorporated yet we still volunteer on their behalf.  Think American Legion, Rotary, Lions Club, NRA, and on and on.  I fail to understand why SASS is being singled out as being unworthy for behaving like every other similar organization.

1 minute ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

Most other organizations we belong to are incorporated yet we still volunteer on their behalf.  Think American Legion, Rotary, Lions Club, NRA, and on and on.  I fail to understand why SASS is being singled out as being unworthy for behaving like every other similar organization.

Would LOVE to hear about the Marketing efforts made for these entities by their general membership.

Looking forward to reading your response.

Phantom

If only all of the energy wasted on the wire was used for good… I haven’t been around SASS for 30 years or nothin but the way y’all talk to each other sure doesn’t fit with the Spirit of the Game I always see at shoots

I go to local Gun shows. I buy a table with my own money to display SASS and cowboy action shooting. Yes, I have business cards but it’s not about promoting MY business, it’s about promoting Cowboy Action shooting and the clubs in SC. I dress ALL THE WAY UP, have my guns, Chronicles, badges, buckles, awards… I have recruited a few people that way - at least gotten some Folks to a match! My husband usually has a table - he sells some custom knives, guns, etc…. It’s not that hard to promote SASS.  Everyone will talk to someone dressed up as a cowboy! :wub:

We are our own best advertisement! Reach out to folks. Be like Evil DoGooder.  You don’t have to have a shit ton of money to get started! 

As for someone doing a movie? CJ Landers of Maverick’s Custom Hats and Restoration wrote, produced, and starred in Messenger. It’s available on YouTube. Can’t get link to show up. It’s sci-fi and I haven’t watched it yet. Search YouTube: Messenger Red Jack & Ace Productions.

Hugs!

Scarlett

1 hour ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

Think American Legion, Rotary, Lions Club, NRA,

AL, Rotary, Lions and the NRA are private non-profit. They publish annual reports. Which the members can get a copy of. Or it's published in their annual report. And if you've seen one it's literally 1 page long.  Income, expenses, bottom line.

SASS is a corporation I think they were trying to go 501 c3 also. They don't owe the members any kind of annual financial report.

The issue in the past is members wanted to know what salaries and bonuses were being paid. As in SASS in barely making it because they were bleeding it dry.

I think this is about the 10th time I've made this clarification.

1 minute ago, Wyo Joe said:

If only all of the energy wasted on the wire was used for good… I haven’t been around SASS for 30 years or nothin but the way y’all talk to each other sure doesn’t fit with the Spirit of the Game I always see at shoots

You’re exactly right. 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Post those in context and I'll respond...otherwise these are meaningless comments to me. But...a private company owes you NOTHING when it comes to their finances...seriously...why would you think otherwise?

Govelling...interesting choice of words. For I would say that your positions displays obsequious characteristics. 

Interesting...so you never advocated volunteering one's skills, resources and capabilities to SASS? This is all about your local clubs...or clubs in general????

Phantom

And Colt SAA's...

:o

I really didn't want to be drawn into yet another rhetorical contest here on the Wire.  I really do have better ways to spend time.  So I think I'll just concede that you're 100% correct, as always, and sign off.  Thanks for the mental exercise.  Do take care.

2 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

I haven’t been around SASS for 30 years or nothin but the way y’all talk to each other sure doesn’t fit with the Spirit of the Game I always see at shoots

We need to offer out thoughts and opinions based on how we feel about the issue. Taking into consideration not calling anyone a low down side winder. But certain posts, that surface every year, can chap some peoples hide.

Mine are; "we need to see the financials', how do we get "young" people involved, and why doesn't SASS do better job of promoting.!

22 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

Keep looking.

I don't see anyone here call folks names...or getting personal...but I do see debate. 

I suppose some folks think that aggressive debates are a bad thing. I see them as a way to expose ideas.

Cheers!

Phantom

28 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I go to local Gun shows. I buy a table with my own money to display SASS and cowboy action shooting. Yes, I have business cards but it’s not about promoting MY business, it’s about promoting Cowboy Action shooting and the clubs in SC. I dress ALL THE WAY UP, have my guns, Chronicles, badges, buckles, awards… I have recruited a few people that way - at least gotten some Folks to a match! My husband usually has a table - he sells some custom knives, guns, etc…. It’s not that hard to promote SASS.  Everyone will talk to someone dressed up as a cowboy! :wub:

We are our own best advertisement! Reach out to folks. Be like Evil DoGooder.  You don’t have to have a shit ton of money to get started! 

As for someone doing a movie? CJ Landers of Maverick’s Custom Hats and Restoration wrote, produced, and starred in Messenger. It’s available on YouTube. Can’t get link to show up. It’s sci-fi and I haven’t watched it yet. Search YouTube: Messenger Red Jack & Ace Productions.

Hugs!

Scarlett

@Scarlett

I think bringing the "Pirate" theme back would attract a lot of shooters (remember when we did the "Pirate" thing?? ... was in the Chronicle every month etc etc ... )
That would suck them right in!!

There has to be bunches of people just laying back … secretly wanting to be a Pirate!!  s6.gif.adee72f31cc7972b45edac3487fa1231.gif chris.gif.c55108ab7d2e57ec6d00458e982efb8a.gif s6.gif.adee72f31cc7972b45edac3487fa1231.gif

Could have side matches with swords ... pegs and stuff ... and save on ammo!!

Aye!!

16 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Dogooder.  There is way too large a percentage of the "Hive Mind" is tell one and all you have to have trix guns to play this game.  You don't.  Kitchen Table spring change and you're most of the way there.  So is giving the impression one can't play with budget level guns.  You certainly can.  In many instances, the Hive Mind for nothing but SPEED is killing us faster than getting old is.   

Spring changes now are probably not a good idea, leaving only Federal primers as reliable detonation. Just focus on rules, hitting targets, loading the shotgun with ease, and handling transitions. The time comes later. Be okay with being last in the time scores, gradually moving up and shooting clean. I have stock pistols that can use up my Winchester and CCI primers, while the Federal Large Pistol is reserved for my Marlin with a spring kit and one-piece firing pin. My Lightning rifle doesn't care and is small pistol.

I think this video is great, I've shown it to lots of prospective new shooters in my area. 

33 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

That is a much younger crowd than I see around my area.

"Younger" depends on your perspective. Almost all of the shooters featured in the Light "Em Up video shoot in the 49er or above category.

DDD: Thanks for raising this issue!

--

It may surprise many of you that SASS has (or had) a marketing plan - actually two marketing plans; a Market Recruitment and a Market Retention plan. I say “surprise” because it surprised me to learn they existed - I had to ask for them.

The two plans - if they still exist - are seriously faulted. They speak to a strategy of each club implementing a marketing plan, but the plans omit the tactics needed to do so. Further, the strategy was for each club to have one of its members become the quasi-marketing director who would develop and implement the positioning of a local marketing plan.

The real fault is founded in the very idea of implementing a local marketing strategy. SASS is an international - i.e., “global” - organization and sport, and the marketing thrust must be global. The marketing plan(s) must be developed by “corporate” and driven out by corporate to the potential audience. (I'm not suggesting that clubs should not be proactive - we should be. But we should have powerful marketing tools developed by corporate that help proliferate the corporate message.)

The user (shooter) experience should be virtually the same whereever we shoot. Yes, targets, scenarios, and facades may not be the same, but the overall shooter's experience should be very similar. In fact, our rules were crafted for this very purpose. Imagine what it would be like if each MacDonald’s was allowed to promote and market its own store, have its own menu, produce its own packaging? If you travel at all, MacDonald’s medium fries come in the same red and yellow container (everywhere in the world) - it is what you expect, and the consistency of messaging is a critical component of the user’s experience.

SASS needs to craft a global marketing strategy with corporate-driven tactics, and then drive that plan from corporate.

What was the last time you heard from SASS about a focused and well conceived marketing plan?

RR

Archived