SASS Wire Forum

Your chance to own one of John Wayne’s revolvers

Buckshot Bob

I would probably have to sell every other gun I own in order to win this auction, and that still might not be enough.

Zoom in on the barrel markings on the left side.  It looks like it says "(Bisley Model)".  I guess the Duke used a Frankengun, since that one does not have a Bisley grip.

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It’s not legal for SASS. ^_^

Change the grips that’s all!!

Yep it is the Frankenstein model that the Duke used in many of his movies.  I have seen the original once.  

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/1038/2465/john-waynes-colt-single-action-army-revolver

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 9.35.42 AM.png

That really makes you feel good. In the blurb describing the gun, it mentions that it comes with a factory letter that "incorrectly describes it as a Bisley".

You ever looked at the price for a Colt factory letter? They are all different prices, because Colt knows that the letter adds value to the gun. If you want to factory letter for your Diamondback, that's x amount of money. But if your Diamondback happened to be the one that John Wayne carried in Brannigan, that will cost at least 3x. A Single Action Army letter cost more than a Diamondback letter, because more people collect them. And a letter about a famous person's gun will cost many many times more than a letter about a standard gun of that type.

So there you are, ordering a factory letter about a John Wayne gun. Probably paying close to $1,000 to get a letter about the John Wayne gun. And it's wrong.

That calls into doubt all the Colt factory letters out there.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:33 AM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Zoom in on the barrel markings on the left side.  It looks like it says "(Bisley Model)".  I guess the Duke used a Frankengun, since that one does not have a Bisley grip.

Good observation. According to the movie gun data base, the gun left the factory as a Bisley. The Duke had it rebuilt with a conventional grip and shorter barrel. 

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/True_Grit_(1969)

52 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

No, that calls into question RIA, they have the facts wrong.

I like the oddities and cool stuff that RIA puts up for sale, but more than once I’ve had to call BS on some of their claims. 

Let the buyers beware, and perform their own due diligence. 

Howdy,

Just skip buying a new car that will depreciate every day.

Get a collectable like ths and charge for holding it for two minutes.

Put on latex gloves and hold that gun for two minutes...what would you pay???

Best

CR

On 10/4/2021 at 2:30 PM, WOLFY said:

“He was too, you boys.  I installed 2 way mirrors at his house in Brentwood.”

BB6D24ED-63CC-4502-9AAF-9C7049C2ED9D.jpeg

Does anybody get this? If so, please explain it to me. Because it makes absolutely no sense.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

No, that calls into question RIA, they have the facts wrong.

I wouldn't trust RIA at all. They outright cheated me out of over $10 K on a piece I had them auction for me. Sold it after about 20 seconds into the auction for less than half what said it would bring. I'm convinced it was a setup.

Snakebite: Shoulda put a reserve price on it.

4 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

That was a movie quote, guy claimed JW was gay, came to the door wearing a dress. Probably some one in holly wood had it in for JW.

It's pretty well-known that most liberals have it in for John Wayne these days. There was a local hiking/biking trail here near Seattle called the John Wayne Pioneer trail, and the woke idiots renamed it because they didn't like having a "known racist" associated with anything in the state.

Howdy,

Its really something how much is added to the price after the sale.

Sales tax and a premium and who knows how much more.

Add about 25 percent.....outch.

Best

CR

4 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

SOOOOOO,

What did It go fer????????????????????????????????????????????????

Best

CR

$450,000, plus premiums & fees, for a total of $517,500.

Ironic the reproduction "Rooster Shooter" is legal for CAS, but the original isn't. :lol:

The auction house stated the backstrap had been replaced, and the trigger guard stretched to fit his big ol' sausage fingers, so the discrepancy is obviously known - I've read about it before. 

On 10/8/2021 at 4:39 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

Ironic the reproduction "Rooster Shooter" is legal for CAS, but the original isn't.

The gun was at the SASS Convention in Branson, Mo., in 2013.  I was handling it and just casually mentioned "isn't it strange that one of the most iconic guns in Western lore is not legal for SASS shooting."  The guy that owned it went absolutely nuts.  "What the heck are you talking about THIS is John Wayne's gun."  

Archived