SASS Wire Forum

Had a first yesterday - 2 bangs

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

Yesterday, had a shooter shooting rifle, shot about 4 shots, then the next one the sound was Bang-Bang.  Two distinct cracks about .1-.2 seconds apart.  Second might have been slightly sharper.  Shoot a total of 10 shots out of rifle.  It was a '73 (if that makes a difference.)  Any ideas?  My only answer is maybe that shot had a little more powder and it broke sound barrier leaving muzzle, but I've NEVER heard this before.

11 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The shooter was VERY fast.  Once.  It happens.

this ^^^

I have on several occasions seen a 30-40 second shooter get off the second rifle shot with a split of .1-.15 seconds. Ask them to do it on purpose and they will be a more normal (for them .5-.7 seconds. No idea how that works but it does happen.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Nope, not this time.

54 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Hang fire, primer goes bang....then round goes off???

First bang was MUCH too loud to be primer only.

One possibility is a mini double detonation. They can be caused by powder being separated in the case. Light load large case ???  We have seen that on rare occasions with 50BMG loads and attempting to make subsonic loads with smaller rifle caliber cases.

What HJ said.

Or... contaminated powder.  Primer didn't ignite all the powder in the case.  Then, when things got hot and the rest of the powder "dried out", it ignited. 

Shooting pretty light ammo from the rifle?  Could have been a squib on the previous shot, leaving bullet near muzzle.  Then next shot compressed the barrel-length of air column between squib and the second bullet.  First bullet pushed out by compressed air, a light report.  Then second bullet exits, a louder bang.

Certainly not a sound barrier velocity situation.   Bullets don't come out of barrel slowly and then accelerate to above the sound barrier.  They are constantly decelerating.  You get a bang with subsonic, and a crack with supersonic - but only right when bullet leaves barrel.

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Shooting pretty light ammo from the rifle?  Could have been a squib on the previous shot, leaving bullet near muzzle.  Then next shot compressed the barrel-length of air column between squib and the second bullet.  First bullet pushed out by compressed air, a light report.  Then second bullet exits, a louder bang.

good luck, GJ

I pretty sure the one before it wasn't a squib.  And I tend to lean toward Happy Jack's Answer.  But, of course, we'll never know for sure.  Thank you all for your knowledge.  Was just a weird incident that I had never heard.

Question: how could it be a hang fire? If it’s a hang fire, it would seem the ignition would take too long for the bullet to leave brass, eject case, lever and shoot second one so close… not sure I’m making a lot of sense… 

Hugs! 
Scarlett

On 10/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

One possibility is a mini double detonation. They can be caused by powder being separated in the case. Light load large case ???  We have seen that on rare occasions with 50BMG loads and attempting to make subsonic loads with smaller rifle caliber cases.

Contaminated or damp powder might also do it.  

On 10/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

... Shoot a total of 10 shots out of rifle. ... Any ideas? ...

On 10/3/2021 at 1:36 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

If everyone agreed that there were ten bangs, including the bang-bang, and the rifle ended up empty, then it almost has to be this.  

9 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

If everyone agreed that there were ten bangs, including the bang-bang, and the rifle ended up empty, then it almost has to be this.  

I accidentally added an extra o.  Should be shot a total of 10 shots.  There were 11 bangs.

On 10/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Did that a couple times. Wish I could do it on purpose, then I'd actually be fast!! Surprised even me!! Didn't hit the target either with that fast second shot!

Was the full auto selector switch engaged?

Bugler

Archived