SASS Wire Forum

Australian Pink Lake

You Australian boys ever been to one of the pink lakes?  I read about these a couple of years ago.  Lots of theories but no definitive explantion of why they are pink.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL3BpbmstbGFrZS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjgyOH19fQ==.jpeg

pink-lakes.png

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You Australian boys ever been to one of the pink lakes?  I read about these a couple of years ago.  Lots of theories but no definitive explantion of why they are pink.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL3BpbmstbGFrZS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjgyOH19fQ==.jpeg

pink-lakes.png

Not me.....but I'd love to see them -

https://www.australia.com/en/things-to-do/nature-and-national-parks/australias-pink-lakes.html

Heavily salted & mixes with some sort of water plant that turns the water pink..so I'm told & read.

No I haven't seen a pink lake in person, some only accessible by plane.

I did hear the one in Western Australia I think is Lake Hillier was previously known as Lake ? Spencer, I''II lay claim to that one as that is my surname..personally I think that is where 'Wallaby Jack pours his pink Chardonay. !!

On 10/2/2021 at 6:06 PM, Alpo said:

That would be the blood from all the people that have been killed by the crocodiles that completely inhabit every body of water in Oz.

My thoughts also, Alpo.:lol:

On 10/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

pink-lakes.png

Pepto-Bismol, lots and lots of Pepto-Bismol!

Flamingos ain’t colorfast??

On 10/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Isn't that where this comes from?

image.png.beff6bd04853a151877eed8bc78d59b6.png

Actually, they are not. Flamingos are pink because of a certain variety of shrimp that they eat. The flamingos in Disney World do not have that shrimp in their diet. They turned white. So the flamingo wranglers at Disney World now put pink food coloring in their food, so they will once again be pink.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/disney-animals-flamingos/

Tickled Pink
Flamingos are known for their pink plumage, but they are not born pink. Flamingos are born a light gray color. Their feathers begin to turn pink during the second year of their lives. The food they eat changes the color of their feathers. In the wild, flamingos eat blue-green algae and crustaceans containing a carotenoid pigment. This pigment is what gives adult flamingos their famous pink color.

The flamingos at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge receive this pigment in pelleted food designed just for them.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Actually, they are not. Flamingos are pink because of a certain variety of shrimp that they eat. The flamingos in Disney World do not have that shrimp in their diet. They turned white. So the flamingo wranglers at Disney World now put pink food coloring in their food, so they will once again be pink.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/disney-animals-flamingos/

Tickled Pink
Flamingos are known for their pink plumage, but they are not born pink. Flamingos are born a light gray color. Their feathers begin to turn pink during the second year of their lives. The food they eat changes the color of their feathers. In the wild, flamingos eat blue-green algae and crustaceans containing a carotenoid pigment. This pigment is what gives adult flamingos their famous pink color.

The flamingos at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge receive this pigment in pelleted food designed just for them.

Thought everyone knew this.

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn, “It’s a joke son!! A JOKE!!”

3 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Flamingos don't run fast either

You ever tried catching one?? :lol:

58 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Thought everyone knew this.

I didn't, until I was at Epcot back in about 97. Tour guide told us. I'd made it to 43 without knowing it.

Archived