SASS Wire Forum

Cheddite shotgun primers at Sportsmans Warehouse

Go West

I went to the Tucson SW to pick up a Ruger Max-9 @ $100 off and also found Cheddite shotgun primers in stock. I never tried them, but with quantities running low I picked up a 1K. I could have bought 2 boxes, but I bought some 9mm ammo instead. Now if they would just get some small pistol primers......

Cheddite is top quality!!

On 10/2/2021 at 1:37 PM, Go West said:

I went to the Tucson SW to pick up a Ruger Max-9 @ $100 off and also found Cheddite shotgun primers in stock. I never tried them, but with quantities running low I picked up a 1K. I could have bought 2 boxes, but I bought some 9mm ammo instead. Now if they would just get some small pistol primers......

So how much were the shotgun primers?

I’ve had very good luck with Cheddite SG primers.

I have heard that Cheddites are just a skosh bigger than Winchester 209s, and are difficult to seat completely in American made hulls.  I would appreciate comments from you folks on your experiences.

I love these primers!  I've been using for the last two years for my SKBs.  I have never had a problem loading them in Remington STS or Winchester AA hulls.

The wife and I picked up two bricks yesterday at our local Sportsmans. 

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I have heard that Cheddites are just a skosh bigger than Winchester 209s, and are difficult to seat completely in American made hulls.  I would appreciate comments from you folks on your experiences.

Many reloaders that load a LOT more than cowboy shooters use Cheddites as a substitute for Winchester.  (Same size and flame characteristics.) Just to make sure I took a micrometer and measured some Winchesters and some primers from the current batch of Cheddites.  Within a couple of ten thousands +/- they are the same.  I just loaded a batch of cowboy ammo using Remington and Winchester hulls and they seated fine.  Fiocchi, RIO and other primers made primarily for reloading European hulls are a couple of thouands larger.  Once you put those in American hulls you cannot go back to American spec primers.

• 2 months later...

Ballistic Products website shows Cheddite 209s in stock for $39.69/1,000, limit of 5,000 primers.  (Yes, I am opening an old thread but I bet someone needs shotgun primers.)

On 10/6/2021 at 12:23 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

They are a skosh larger, but I haven't had any trouble seating them in STS hulls. Haven't tried going back to Winchester or Federal either. Every Chedite has gone bang!

20 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Ballistic Products website shows Cheddite 209s in stock for $39.69/1,000, limit of 5,000 primers.  (Yes, I am opening an old thread but I bet someone needs shotgun primers.)

Ordered 5000 yesterday.  I've used cheddite hulls that came primed with no problems.  $39.69 pre covid was a good price for shotgun primers.  These days that's a great price.

Archived