SASS Wire Forum

650 primer

Snakebite

I think everyone with a 650 has experienced this on occasion, but for some reason I'm getting it more often  lately... I don't know why.  I'd appreciate feedback if you have a idea as to why it is happening. I usually feel it when it happens and stop the seating process and then pull out the case before smashing it all the way in, but when I'm on a roll and really cranking them out I don't always catch it.

Snakebite 

20211002_101944.jpg

1 minute ago, Choctaw Jack said:

What brand of primer are you using?

I have more trouble with CCI than any other brand.

Federal

I have not seen that on my 650 as of yet but I have only had it for about 15 months (maybe 9-10 thousand rounds)

I did see it occasionally on my 550 when the primer slide got dirty and it "jerked" a bit on the forward or backward movement of the slide.

A quick clean of the slide would take care of it.

I recently acquired a 750 which utilizes a different primer feed system but am waiting for the "Strong Mounts" to arrive to set it up so no experience yet.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW I have only used Federals

1 minute ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

I had that problem with Federal SP primers occasionally.  Realigned the press and got a new primer seating punch?? from Dillon whatever they call it. Problem went away.

TNX Hap... I'll give it a try. 

56 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I wouldn't worry about it except that I'm convinced that it makes the shot pull to one side. ;)

Those are for shooting around corners! :lol:

Kajun

I ran into that when the primer seating ram got peened and misshapen due to lots of use.  It stopped retracting all the way, causing the primers to go on edge and sometimes flip.  Dillon sent me a new part and all squared away.

When I had that problem, after talking to Dillon, I could see that the primer punch was not dead center on the opening of the shellplate.  Therefore, every so often as the primer punch came up, the primer edge would catch under the edge of the shellplate, tipping it sideways as it went in the primer pocket.  I realigned it so that the punch came up exactly in the center of the shellplate opening.  Problem solved (for me at least):rolleyes:

Thanks guys... I took it apart and cleaned the devil out of it. I expected to see something like Doc mentioned, but the ram looked OK to my eye. Anyhow... I ran a quick 200 rounds through it and it didn't happen. I've been slack on keeping things as clean as I should. 

Snakebite

Looks like you might have already fixed the problem.  But since I just went and took a couple of photos I thought I'd post anyway.  I started having all kinds of primer problems. Cleaned, used my handy dandy Dillon alignment tool and no improvement.

DSC_0004.thumb.jpeg.de352963e8a0637834f8d9a526db3c20.jpeg

I had the machine completely taken apart and by accident found the problem.  The shell plate advancement cam was broken.  It had broken right where there is a notch and then the cam begins.  Red arrow.  What was happening was the cam would stretch at the break when cycled and then close close back up when you were inspecting all the parts.  It was basically invisible.  By happenstance I was fiddling with the cam and when I gave it a slight twist the gap opened up.  The Dillon spare parts kit has an extra cam in it.  I have had this machine well over 20 years but finally got to use the spare cam.  What was confounding was only about one in ten primers got tipped or squashed.  Sometimes the broken cam rotated the shell plate enough sometimes it did not.

DSC_0001.jpeg

Great tip Larsen, tnx. I've got a lot of miles on my machine too. It's been back to Dillon once for a complete overhaul. That was about 10 years ago. Mine is also about 20 years old. I've been using it heavy lately trying to get far ahead of my loading needs so Fannie will have plenty of ammo ready to go. I am considering another Thumb operation and that means no loading for about 6 mo. If the 650 would just blow up or disappear I would get a 750, but I just can't seem to bring myself to get one as long as this one keeps working. It might very well out live me. :o

Snakebite

Snakebite...

Looks like your problem is solved. I had it, too, and found that the primer wheel and the shell plate were not exactly aligning with each other, such that when the  primer plunger pushed the primer up, the primer would catch on the edge of the shell plate which tilted the primer allowing it to go up sideway. Cleaning out the recesses in the shell plate and primer wheel and slightly lengthening the springs for the shell plate and primer wheel ensured that they aligned perfectly again and solved the problem.

RR

Roger, I did check the alignment and it looked good at that point in time .. HOWEVER... it is my opinion that it was indeed the alignment becoming OFF that was causing the problem. I think it was becoming OFF because things were dirty and not freely moving into the proper alignment. A complete disassembly and hose down with Break Cleaner, then a very careful and strategic application of lubricant appears to have cured the issue. I have now loaded another 500 rounds without even one issue. 

Snakebite 

You've already cleaned up the primer delivery system, so this may be irrelevant.  But whenever I've had the crossfeed problem, it has been cured by cleaning up the primer wheel detent ball and it's travel boring, brushing out the primer wheel holes, and replacing the detent spring.  If the little ball (or the primer plate holes) get dirty or caked with spilled powder residue, or the spring becomes less than crisp in snapping the ball up into position, it can cause the intermittent misalignment that several here have described.  

One other little thing, while on this subject.  I find my 650 primer feeding goes much better if I only tighten the two assembly mounting screws very lightly--finger-tight, if that.  I don't know why, but things seem to work very stiffly otherwise.  Tolerances between the assy and platform are very tight on my machine. Probably  .002 or .003 shim under the assembly would work, but I haven't tried it.   

Archived