SASS Wire Forum

Primer question.

Currahee

Just paid an arm and leg for Federal Large to Natchez Shooters Supply.

My question is how does Natchez get Federal primers to sell when these are unavailable from the biggies: Midway, Grafs, Brownells?

Federal corporate offices have a big wheel in the board room that is spun every 7 days to determine where that week's production will be shipped.
Retailer names are replaced monthly.
Sometimes the arrow lands on the same distributor 2-3 times in a row.
SHIPPING WHEEL

12 minutes ago, Banjo Bob said:

LOL!  So how do I get on the shipping wheel.:D

Call Federal.
For an outrageous deposit fee, you can be added to the wheel. ;)

42 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Federal corporate offices have a big wheel in the board room that is spun every 7 days to determine where that week's production will be shipped.
Retailer names are replaced monthly.
Sometimes the arrow lands on the same distributor 2-3 times in a row.
SHIPPING WHEEL

I don't see the BANKRUPT on that wheel. That must be the corporate wheel. I think that Federal has a individual use wheel and it contains 3 - BANKRUPT's. As I understand it, when the wheel lands on BANKRUPT, you have to ship Federal all primers that you personally own. The BANKRUPT primers are actually the ones that they ship out. 

On a more serious note, Jason Vanderbrink with Vista Outdoors has said publicly, the Vista Outdoors remains committed to sending ammunition's and supplies to all components in their sales channel.  He has discussed the perils of only selling to the big guys, which will drive out the small businesses. 

He implied in the famous YouTube, that some Big Retailer could buy all their supply -  just to meet the demand at a Big Retailer - but VSTO won't allow that.

Manufacturers face great peril when there are few channels to sell thru - both moral and financial peril.  Mr. Vanderbrink seems to present a Corporate image that VSTO is carefully weighting a multitude of pressures and supply chain forces when fulfilling orders.

Vista Outdoors stock is up 67% year to date - and given the continuous and unending shortages, you might consider stocking up on some VSTO shares.

Maybe Natchez has some BECAUSE they charge an arm and a leg? And sales are slow?

Natchez IS one of the big guys.   2 years ago, they were one of my major suppliers for components.

Federal/Vista has committed to keeping all their DISTRIBUTORS sharing production output.   There are no "little guys" at the DISTRIBUTOR level.   

The little shops  (and most retailers) buy FROM the distributors. Federal does not really manage the flow of product from Distributor to Retailer.  That is where there is a lot of "diversion" occurring, from the stories I hear.  Each distributor has their own say in how the products are parceled out to retail.

A few chains and govt . entities have independent deals with Federal/Vista, so they get distributor pricing or better.

It has been and continues to be a supply chain that fails to please the customers every time we have an upset in the economy or civil society.

good luck, GJ

Archived