SASS Wire Forum

Audie Murphy

Malaria?

It is always been my understanding that malaria is a tropical disease. Audie Murphy fought in Europe. And I believe that burning tank happened in Italy.

Malaria?? :blink:

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Malaria?

It is always been my understanding that malaria is a tropical disease. Audie Murphy fought in Europe. And I believe that burning tank happened in Italy.

Malaria?? :blink:

Swampy area disease.   Italy used to be rife with malaria.

Both the machine gun incident and the tank destroyer incident took place in southern France, not Italy.  Audie Murphy was 19 at the time, whether he was still suffering from malaria in southern France is doubtful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

I read his autobiography, it is much darker than the movie and IIRC in the book he was showing signs of what we now call PTSD in France.

28 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Both the machine gun incident and the tank destroyer incident took place in southern France, not Italy.  Audie Murphy was 19 at the time, whether he was still suffering from malaria in southern France is doubtful.

I used Italy only as an example.  Malaria was found in France and even England in the marshy areas.  

Frontiers | Malaria in Europe: A Historical Perspective | Medicine (frontiersin.org)

Audie Murphy is one of my favorite Western Actors. I really enjoy him and his movies. He could really ride well. 

His war time merits speak for themself. 

Audie Murphy had to teach hiself to ride because the injuries he received during the war damaged his hip and it was difficult for him to sit a horse!  IIRC, he delayed shooting his first Western so he could figure out how to mount and ride.

His war experiences haunted him according to what I have read and been told.  PTSD would be an apt description of his troubles.

2 hours ago, Rube Burrows said:

Audie Murphy is one of my favorite Western Actors. I really enjoy him and his movies. He could really ride well. 

His war time merits speak for themself. 

Same. I enjoy most of his movies. Some of the later shows were not so great. It's like the producers felt Audie's star power could overcome a bad plot line.

Neighbors, we once had, knew him. 

They said he was not ornery, or mean, or anything, but his looks, and size, and demeanor, did not reveal his determination, courage, and single mindedness. He was driven. He took what the nazis were doing, personally, and it seemed to be his personal mission to win, and defeat them.

He was no one to trifle with. Perfect example of:  "don't ever judge a book by it's cover".  

They were not surprised he did well, in the Army. I have a lot of respect for the Marine Corps, but they, obviously, made a huge mistake in turning his enlistment down. Even the best, it seems, makes big honkin' mistakes, sometimes. 

9 hours ago, Chantry said:

I read his autobiography, it is much darker than the movie and IIRC in the book he was showing signs of what we now call PTSD in France.

That doesn't surprise me, given the fact that the movie came out during a time when war films were all patriotic and family-friendly. Eugene Sledge once walked out of a theater while watching a war movie, saying it was so sanitized as to be completely bogus. I believe it compelled him to write "With the Old Breed" just to set the record straight on what war is really like.

I love Audie Murphy's westerns. All of them. This Man was a true Patriot and a true American Hero.

Rest Peacefully, Audie

th.jpeg-1.jpg

12 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

That doesn't surprise me, given the fact that the movie came out during a time when war films were all patriotic and family-friendly. Eugene Sledge once walked out of a theater while watching a war movie, saying it was so sanitized as to be completely bogus. I believe it compelled him to write "With the Old Breed" just to set the record straight on what war is really like.

That's another book where you can see the author start to suffer from the effects of PTSD.

Yes the movies were intended to be family friendly, but that applied to most movies from WWII until maybe the late 1960's.  The good guys usually won, sex took place off camera and the violence was almost never graphic.

6 hours ago, Chantry said:

That's another book where you can see the author start to suffer from the effects of PTSD.

Yes the movies were intended to be family friendly, but that applied to most movies from WWII until maybe the late 1960's.  The good guys usually won, sex took place off camera and the violence was almost never graphic.

My wife won't watch modern westerns because of the graphic violence. She likes the westerns from the 50s and 60s where, when you shot a bad guy, he just fell over without blood, guts, and brains flying in every direction.  She has watched the complete series of The Virginian twice.

21 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What is sad is if you ask any current high school or university graduate who Audie Murphy was all you will get are blank stares.

Should have started with a simple question...What was World War II....They might be able to answer that one...Then again maybe not...

Texas Lizard

On 10/1/2021 at 2:41 PM, Chacón said:

Audie Murphy is my hero.  His grave is directly behind the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  I hope you all will visit it if you're ever in Arlington.

Seen it without looking for it.  Fitting place for him.

Archived