SASS Wire Forum

COL. CHARLES ATKINS KNEW NOTHING ABOUT GUNS!!!!!

Alpo

I would like to present Positive Proof that Colonel Charles Askins Jr.,world-renowned hunter, sportsman, law officer, fighter, and target shooter was a fake and a fraud.

December 1955 Guns Magazine, page 29. A Shooting Iron Too Hot to Handle.

This article proves my contention in His Own Words.

Page 64, second column. Last sentence in the first full paragraph. >Minor feed troubles developed and the clip was altered about the lips.< Page 66, 1st column, second full paragraph. >The hybrid shot like a dream! From the first shot through the full clip and for all the thousand first rounds<

Now, since EVERYONE but total newbs, doofuses (dufi?) and fakes KNOWS that that gun uses a DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE and not a CLIP, and EVERYONE KNOWS that a CLIP and a MAGAZINE are two distinct and different things, then it is blatantly obvious that he did not know a thing about guns.

blowing-raspberries-gif-8.gif.4e15186b28aa48a41a99130a942a5c0e.gif
https://gunsmagazine.com/classic-issues/guns-magazine-1955-classic-editions/

Alrighty, then...  For those of you who wonder just what gun this is, I'll save ya the trouble of downloading the magazine and finding the article.

Evidently it was a Colt Woodsman, modified from .22 Long Rifle to .221 Askins.  ^_^

What...?  Not familiar with the .221 Askins?  Shux - who is??  :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Col. Askins was a stone cold killer.  

He was that.  

The Legendary Pistol of Charles Askins

askins1.jpg

"In 1937, while preparing for the National Matches, I developed the .221 Askins. This was a .22 caliber automatic which fired a .22 centerfire ctg. The NRA rules in '37 stipulated that "any centerfire caliber" could be fired in the Nationals. At that time the only useable centerfire cal was limited to the revolvers. You could fire the .32 S&W long which was the smallest caliber and one yet accurate enough to compete with. I concluded if I could develop a .22 centerfire I'd have the boys over a barrel."

Here's an eye-opener.  Or mud in your eye!  :rolleyes:

Demon Rum and Charles Askins

Col. Charles Askins, a semi-mythical figure to some in the shooting industry, penned a piece called Demon Rum and the Shooting Man in the April/May 1966 issue of GUNsport magazine. In this article, Askins puts forth why he believes drinking alcohol and shooting do mix....

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

COL. CHARLES ATKINS KNEW NOTHING ABOUT GUNS!!!!!

But he developed a popular diet plan!:lol:

otto strikes again

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/3/2021 at 12:09 PM, Hendo said:

I seem to remember, when I was in the service, we didn't suffer from rectal glaucoma when it came to the whole "clip/mag" thing.

I agree.   Plenty of examples of experienced people saying one or the other.  It’s a bigger issue with newbies that wanna pass themselves off as  experienced.

Remington & Marlin used the terms interchangeably (on packaging as late as 2010).  

E2F39AD8-379E-48C9-BDB0-D251A063F2FD.jpeg

Kinda like all them souls broadcasting or writing news stories, or authors of books where there's shooting going on, or about half the folks at cowboy shoots,* most of my family,** and anyone who writes for or watches television:  "There were shell casings found outside the crime scene!"

Remember... "Casings" are for sausage, "Cases" are for cartridges.

But what the heck ~ we all kinda know what they mean.  ^_^

* Of course, we all just say "Brass!"  :)

** They don't know nuttin' no-how no-way anykow.  :rolleyes:

1515670761_SausageCasing.jpg.8d0aeb76c9e280618ab4f3a3cf7368a0.jpg                 image.jpeg.71409289ad0f96f9dfa3d57b978c1fcd.jpeg

For plain orneriness I jokingly asked a guy at a gun store in PA last week if the term “clip-mag” was acceptable. I think I saw his eyes flutter…then he laughed. 
He was explaining mags vs clips to a customer. 

I may have mentioned this before, but when I was working behind the gun counter, I was talking to an older gentleman with a veteran hat on. He consistently referred to clips for pistols. Some tacticool jerk finally rudely interrupted and said "they're not clips, they're magazines." Clearly embarrassed the older gentleman, and annoyed me. I asked the jerk what he puts in his magazines to shoot and he said "bullets." I point blank said, "No, you put cartridges in. Check any box of ammo on the shelf, and it'll tell you how many cartridges are in it. Don't be pedantic." I doubt he knew what pedantic meant, and I fully expected a complaint, but he just turned red and wandered down the counter, while I helped the old guy. Yeah, it seemed his mood improved.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

For plain orneriness I jokingly asked a guy at a gun store in PA last week if the term “clip-mag” was acceptable. I think I saw his eyes flutter…then he laughed. 
He was explaining mags vs clips to a customer. 

“clip-mag”?  maybe you meant; Magazine Clip?

39EFDF7D-0093-4E55-9BDD-CF1D95F4BC26.jpeg

I found this very useful phrase. Two words. Seven letters. First one starts with a f and the second one starts with a y.

I'll be in a store asking about clips for my 1911 and someone informs me that they are not clips they are magazines. I look over at him. PHRASE

I say that my favorite pistol is probably my python, and someone tells me that the python is not a pistol it is a revolver. PHRASE

I'm thinking about getting a silencer for one of my 45s, and someone tells me that it is not a silencer it is a suppressor. PHRASE

I mentioned that I need to get the oil changed in my truck, and someone tells me that a Bronco is not a truck it is a sport utility vehicle. PHRASE

It is a extremely useful phrase.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

I found this very useful phrase. Two words. Seven letters. First one starts with a f and the second one starts with a y.

I'll be in a store asking about clips for my 1911 and someone informs me that they are not clips they are magazines. I look over at him. PHRASE

I say that my favorite pistol is probably my python, and someone tells me that the python is not a pistol it is a revolver. PHRASE

I'm thinking about getting a silencer for one of my 45s, and someone tells me that it is not a silencer it is a suppressor. PHRASE

I mentioned that I need to get the oil changed in my truck, and someone tells me that a Bronco is not a truck it is a sport utility vehicle. PHRASE

It is a extremely useful phrase.

Hmmm…you and I have a lot more in common than it may appear. :lol:

Archived