SASS Wire Forum

Pvt. Clinton Eastwood

Subdeacon Joe

Did I put in 50 or 60 gallons of fuel, in all the excitement...I kinda lost count myself.

A little known fact about the crash and swim. He anticipated that he would be an actor in later life. The entire ditch at sea and swim was just practice for the "Escape From Alcatraz" movie.:rolleyes:

I wonder if he was on a weekend pass, because there was a mileage limit on how far you could go from base.
And Seattle is a long way from Ord.

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And nobody ever stretched the limits!

Yeah, I was on a ship based in Norfolk, VA. The chief always said “If you can’t make it back in time, at least make it to Baltimore, MD before you call in.” I have forgotten the limit, but I think it was 150 miles, ~ 3 hours travel time.

I used to ride with a buddy and meet my wife @ the NJ Turnpike /Garden State Parkway interchange. A lot of sailors past through that junction. One night my buddy didn’t show up there for the return trip. We hightailed it to the Port Authority Terminal in NYC so I could catch the last bus to NAVAL STATION NORFOLK. The bus dropped us off at the pier and I made morning muster in my Dress Blues. The Chief just smiled and assigned me Extra Military Instruction (EMI), (swinging over the side in a Bos’ns Chair chipping paint off the ship to you landlubbers).

CJ

Archived