SASS Wire Forum

Reproduction S&W Russian calibers

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I think 45 Colt and 44 Russian are the two calibers currently made by Uberti for the Russian revolver.  I personally would have no qualms having a 44 Russian cylinder reamed to .44 Spcl to give it more utility.  

24 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I think 45 Colt and 44 Russian are the two calibers currently made by Uberti for the Russian revolver.  I personally would have no qualms having a 44 Russian cylinder reamed to .44 Spcl to give it more utility.  

Interesting idea about converting to .44 Special.   Assuming the cylinder is long enough, I don't know, it does make some sense.  On a reproduction.   I'd not do it to an original.   I saw one a few years ago in an antique store in excellent condition.   I passed on it because I didn't want to tool up for a new caliber.  I still regret not buying it.   

25 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Buy one and send it to Lonnie. :mellow:

La Sombra

1 minute ago, La Sombra said:

Buy one and send it to Lonnie. :mellow:

La Sombra

Okay, let me rephrase.  If I liked the Smith and Wesson breaktops and had a Russian and wanted to shoot Specials in it...

But I don't have one nor want one since they don't fit my hands. :)

13 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Simple question:  Is the cylinder on the reproduction Russians long enough for the .44 Special?

As they are made long enough to chamber 45 Colt, yes it is long enough.

Apparently, they stretched the frame slightly, and made a longer cylinder for the .45 Colt version, because the .45 Colt is too long for my .44 Russians.

Russian_01.jpg

Russian_03.jpg

Russian_04.jpg

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Apparently, they stretched the frame slightly, and made a longer cylinder for the .45 Colt version, because the .45 Colt is too long for my .44 Russians.

Those are Ubertis?  How old?  Very interesting.

17 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Those are Ubertis?  How old?  Very interesting.

Uberti's, yes. The s/n range is 65xx, 68xx, and 76xx - 76xx was made in 2001. The other two are in a different building, and I'm not walking over there just now.

OK. First answer, A replicant (Uberti) Schofield has enough cylinder to ream to 44 Special.  No Problem.

Three Foot,

No.  Uberti didn't stretch the Frame for 45 Colt.  They simply eliminated the forcing cone area of the Barrel Breach, eliminated all but a nub of the Gas Ring/Bushing and lengthened the cylinder to "just" accept 45 Colt.  Thereby ruining the gun for Black Powder.  Replicant Schofield guns DO NOT play well with BP.

The short cylinder is what generated the shorter "45 Schofield" cartridge, which begat the "45 Government" cartridge to give the Army the ability to shoot same/same ammunition in Schofield and Colt revolvers.

Archived