SASS Wire Forum

Kinda Slim Pickens.

Subdeacon Joe

I had to share ..
A fun photo Slim Pickens 1963 
He was the real deal , he grew  up around horses on his family’s farm,and he could REALLY ride.
This is his own  horse “ Dear John” who  was in many films with Slim and this photo was about 1963 in California . Slim signed this photo for world- class horse trainer and good friend Clyde Kennedy. It’s a tongue- cheek  autograph and typical of Slims sense of humor. It says, “Clyde I taught you everything you know , Slim.” This is actually Slim Pickens jumping over the carriage.

FB_IMG_1633047180685.jpg

One of the things that made Slim an important part of the Western Movie industry in the early days WAS the fact that he was an all around cowboy!  

Early on, he was often called upon because he could drive a “Six Up”, a team of six horses essential to any scene involving a stage coach.  Not many could.

44 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

This is actually Slim Pickens jumping over the carriage.

I thought you said it was his horse, Dear John, jumping over the carriage. :huh:

Can't you make up your mind? :P

And who could forget his comedic side, eloquently displayed in BLAZING SADDLES! :lol:

He could ride a bomb pretty well too!

I originally thought based on your post title that it was a warning we were going back to early COVID days again. :(

web1_stockpiling1.jpg.914765f01cd23d77bf11c1e7606c186c.jpg

Slim was an avid knife swapper.  He was always on the lookout for a trade.

In later years, his daughter worked for one of the big movie companies and he would visit occasionally.  When he passed through the gate on his way to her office, a call would go out to “Lock up all the cutlery! Slim’s on the way up!”

He was also a “Mountain Man” who relished the “Rendezvous” scene.  His long rifle and possibles bag were said to be a couple of his most prized possessions.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Or was he holding a rifle?

See the source image

You are correct. I knew he had something in one hand. In the article it says that his wife was a big time accountant and handled their finances. When he did a movie he was more interested in the per diem he would get paid because that went in his pocket and his salary just went straight into their financials.

My younger brother got a photo with him in the early 60's at the Santa Maria Elks Rodeo.

3 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

You are correct. I knew he had something in one hand. In the article it says that his wife was a big time accountant and handled their finances. When he did a movie he was more interested in the per diem he would get paid because that went in his pocket and his salary just went straight into their financials.

My younger brother got a photo with him in the early 60's at the Santa Maria Elks Rodeo.

Thanks.  When I read your post I had to look it up, sounded like a great photograph.  This was the closest to it I could find.

My favorite Slim Pickens role was Henry Beige in Rancho Deluxe. He plays a seen it all, done it all, I'm working at my pace, I'll get 'er done ,older stock detective. It's vintage Slim in so many ways. And, his female associate (girl Friday) was a babe.

Archived