SASS Wire Forum

Mayo

Dawg Hair, SASS #29557

11 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Polenta and grits use a different type of corn, the most obvious difference is that grits are white and polenta is yellow.

You can use either for Polenta. 

9 hours ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

I like polenta also - smear it on a pine board and cover it with a red sauce like a Sicilian.  My mom would fry it and we would have  it for lunch.  Sometimes mom would slip in kidney beans, slice it when it got cold, dust it with corn meal and chili powder and fry it for supper.  And Grits can be eaten anytime you are hungry, best with a loose fried egg and lots of butter  all mixed up together. That is a great breakfast, but could be an any meal type of meaL  I also like left over fried oatmeal.  And what we called wet cornbread (corn meal mush). :-)

STL Suomi

Fried oatmeal??? Hmmmmmm

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

And what we called wet cornbread (corn meal mush). :-)

Probably the only thing that I would be interested is that contains “corn meal” is smithing my Mom called “Fried Corn Mush”. She would mix up her recipe, put it in a bread pan then refrigerate overnight. The next morning she would remove it from the pan and slice it up into thin strips , maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. Then she would fry it and serve the strips like pancakes with maple syrup. Sometimes she made homemade syrup. 

That is one recipe I wish I had. I would like to try that again. I am flying to PA this week. Perhaps one of my sisters has that old recipe. 

In keeping with the original point of this thread. 

We had chili dogs for dinner last night. I think I got a little carried away with the chili and onions. ;)

6B6246A0-2BF7-41E7-8A10-6A68E5C732AF.thumb.jpeg.9e115a00e507d6037f834b15c2d0b2b4.jpeg

I cannot ever get a decent photo of food with this smartphone. It always looks odd. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Probably the only thing that I would be interested is that contains “corn meal” is smithing my Mom called “Fried Corn Mush”. She would mix up her recipe, put it in a bread pan then refrigerate overnight. The next morning she would remove it from the pan and slice it up into thin strips , maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. Then she would fry it and serve the strips like pancakes with maple syrup. Sometimes she made homemade syrup. 

That is one recipe I wish I had. I would like to try that again. I am flying to PA this week. Perhaps one of my sisters has that old recipe. 

In keeping with the original point of this thread. 

We had chili dogs for dinner last night. I think I got a little carried away with the chili and onions. ;)

6B6246A0-2BF7-41E7-8A10-6A68E5C732AF.thumb.jpeg.9e115a00e507d6037f834b15c2d0b2b4.jpeg

I cannot ever get a decent photo of food with this smartphone. It always looks odd. 

You need some oyster crackers, a knife and a fork to have a proper scramble dog.

Grits are similar to okra, in that both, properly prepared are really goood. But both, done wrong, are just nasty...

Hey Larsen E. Pettifogger, the Mayo in my name refers to County Mayo in the the West of Ireland.  It is known as the original Wild West.  That is where my grandfather was from.

B20E2792-BD10-4AF8-9AD4-AA01190B773A.jpeg

I lived in Alabama for 29 years and grits with butter, salt and pepper was the most common way to eat them. I had one friend who would mix in butter and little bit of granulated beef bouillon.

Sometimes, I add sauerkraut to my hot dogs. My wife puts mayo on her hot dog buns.

Marshal Mo Hare, grits can be white OR yellow.

I still like my grits with butter and honey every once in a while. Butter, salt and pepper most of the time.

On 10/3/2021 at 6:15 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

had chili dogs for dinner last night. I think I got a little carried away with the chili and onions. ;)

It just struck me...

People will put mustard on a chili dog, but would think you demented if you suggested putting mustard on a bowl of chili.

56 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It just struck me...

People will put mustard on a chili dog, but would think you demented if you suggested putting mustard on a bowl of chili.

Well, aren’t you?…demented, I mean? :lol:

Actually I have put mustard in chili just to see how it tasted. 

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, aren’t you?…demented, I mean? :lol:

Well, now that you mention it ....

Yeah.

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Actually I have put mustard in chili just to see how it tasted

Did you do it again?

Sometimes I use a little Coleman's Dry Mustard in chili.  

Mama put all kinds of stuff in her tuna. I assume it was to stretch it. She would take two six and a half ounce cans of tuna and feed a family of five. She would add onion and celery and pickle relish and apple. Once when she had no apple she diced up a tomato. Once when she had no celery she chopped some lettuce and added that. Whatever would go good and stretch it out to make seven sandwiches. And of course mayonnaise.

When Daddy made it, which was not often, he would add mustard. Not in place of the mayonnaise, but in addition to it. And I noticed one day while visiting that my son-in-law puts mustard in the tuna fish.

I've never used it, but I have eaten it.

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well, now that you mention it ....

Yeah.

Did you do it again?

Sometimes I use a little Coleman's Dry Mustard in chili.  

Actually, yes. Not very often and I haven’t in a while though. 

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It just struck me...

You mean everybody doesn't do that?:unsure: 

I also add some sharp cheddar on occasion.

Imagine that!

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I also add some sharp cheddar on occasion

On a bowl of chili, or on a chili dog?

I put cheese on both, but just the way you phrased that made me wonder.

Archived