SASS Wire Forum

Mayo

Dawg Hair, SASS #29557

My grandmother's favorite part of the chicken was the back. I often wonder how much it was that she liked them or how much she ate them after feeding a husband and 7 kids during the Depression (more like 8 kids since she raised a nephew as one of her own). I actually like them too which works out well since no one else usually wants it!

JHC

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tennessee Williams and I agree on a lot of things; this is NOT one of them.

Mayo and American Cheese on my hotdogs please.

Ranch dressing on the fries.

Nanner puddin' for desert.

My wife taught me the joys of mayo on hotdogs.  She does it everytime.   

I now put mayo, on the bun.  Mustard and ketchup on the dog and 3 pickle slices.  PERFECT.   Especially since scientists now say eating a hotdog takes 35 minutes off your life.  

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

For using them.

That’s interesting.

I have eaten grits in;

Pennsylvania 

West Virginia 

Tennessee

Kentucky

Alabama

Georgia

Mississippi

Louisiana

Texas

North Carolina 

South Carolina 

Arkansas

Missouri

and Virginia

All pretty much places where grits are a country staple and I do not believe anyone has looked at me funny or sideways while buttering and adding salt and pepper to my grits. ;)

Maybe I am just concentrating on enjoying my breakfast and just haven’t noticed. :D

13 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

My wife taught me the joys of mayo on hotdogs.  She does it everytime.   

I now put mayo, on the bun.  Mustard and ketchup on the dog and 3 pickle slices.  PERFECT.   Especially since scientists now say eating a hotdog takes 35 minutes off your life.  

I am pretty sure someone’s head just exploded…

:lol:

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Had a mate a mate about 30 years ago that when he left school he worked in a slaughterhouse for 6 months, he told me what went into frankfurts (hotdogs) I've never eaten one since.

Two things that you don’t want to know how they are made: laws and sausages.

43 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s interesting.

I have eaten grits in;

Pennsylvania 

West Virginia 

Tennessee

Kentucky

Alabama

Georgia

Mississippi

Louisiana

Texas

North Carolina 

South Carolina 

Arkansas

Missouri

and Virginia

All pretty much places where grits are a country staple and I do not believe anyone has looked at me funny or sideways while buttering and adding salt and pepper to my grits. ;)

Maybe I am just concentrating on enjoying my breakfast and just haven’t noticed. :D

In the 70s I did newspaper computer software for my company, DEC. one of our customers was the Baton Rouge State Times/Morning Advocate. I would visit them for some testing or problem solving. The managing editor talked a few times. He told me that when he went to the ANPA convention in NYC he ordered grits for breakfast and they charged him $10. He said the serving was small. He said to the waitress, “Ma’am, if you come to Louisiana and order $10 worth of grits, you’d better bring a truck.”

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

In the 70s I did newspaper computer software for my company, DEC. one of our customers was the Baton Rouge State Times/Morning Advocate. I would visit them for some testing or problem solving. The managing editor talked a few times. He told me that when he went to the ANPA convention in NYC he ordered grits for breakfast and they charged him $10. He said the serving was small. He said to the waitress, “Ma’am, if you come to Louisiana and order $10 worth of grits, you’d better bring a truck.”

What actually is grits? I've heard of it in movies and TV, but have no idea what it is.

18 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What actually is grits? I've heard of it in movies and TV, but have no idea what it is.

Grits is a corn meal made from a specific type of corn and white in color IIRC. A true aficionado can give more detail.

9 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Grits is a corn meal made from a specific type of corn and white in color IIRC. A true aficionado can give more detail.

I just googled Grits + Australia and was amazed that I can buy so many American products online.

Well colour me pink!!! 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s interesting.

I have eaten grits in;

Pennsylvania 

West Virginia 

Tennessee

Kentucky

Alabama

Georgia

Mississippi

Louisiana

Texas

North Carolina 

South Carolina 

Arkansas

Missouri

and Virginia

I suppose it could be one of those things like Texas chili. Do you put beans in it or not? I saw a near fight break out and hard feelings afterward when that subject came up at Ft. Sam Houston among people born and raised in Texas. (I normally serve black beans on the side with mine, by the way). At any rate, I have some friends from Louisiana and Mississippi who were relieved when I put butter on my grits, and made comment about yankees adding salt and pepper. Interestingly, neither of my parents ever cared for grits, and I never had them until Basic Training.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I do not believe anyone has looked at me funny or sideways while buttering and adding salt and pepper to my grits. ;)

Most of us couldn't care less how you eat your grits. Hell you could bring unsweet tea with you and I wouldn't say a darn word about it.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

I suppose it could be one of those things like Texas chili. Do you put beans in it or not? I saw a near fight break out and hard feelings afterward when that subject came up at Ft. Sam Houston among people born and raised in Texas. (I normally serve black beans on the side with mine, by the way). At any rate, I have some friends from Louisiana and Mississippi who were relieved when I put butter on my grits, and made comment about yankees adding salt and pepper. Interestingly, neither of my parents ever cared for grits, and I never had them until Basic Training.

Ah, I see. It’s a “Yankee Test”. :lol:

Now that you have mentioned this I will have to ask at the next place, or places, I come to that serves grits, which definitely won’t be here in California. ;)

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Most of us couldn't care less how you eat your grits. Hell you could bring unsweet tea with you and I wouldn't say a darn word about it.

Okay, “unsweetened tea”? Now that is a sin! :lol:

NEVER ON A HOT DOG!!! On a turkey sandwich, yes please. Miracle whip is horrible!

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

image.png.5375dc34c87fc76e65b6e1467e37cbce.pngI love grits and I'm a Northern boy!

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

NEVER ON A HOT DOG!!! On a turkey sandwich, yes please. Miracle whip is horrible!

When I was a kid I loved Miracle Whip on ham and cheese sammiches. A few years ago I decided to buy a small jar of it and try it again as I literally had not used it in many years. 
Man, my taste buds definitely had changed. I didn’t even bother to ponder if anyone else wanted it. I tossed it in the trash. 

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s interesting.

I have eaten grits in;

Pennsylvania 

West Virginia 

Tennessee

Kentucky

Alabama

Georgia

Mississippi

Louisiana

Texas

North Carolina 

South Carolina 

Arkansas

Missouri

and Virginia

Salt and butter is normal on grits.  (A lot of restaurants around here put a pat of butter on the top right before service.)  Pepper is unusual but not outrageously so.

Putting sugar in your grits if you're over the age of 12 will raise an eyebrow or two.

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

It's a treasured Southern delicacy that is best when picked fresh by the light of a full moon using tweezers.

The family still holds our grits plantation on the banks of the river.  These days, we sub the grits picking out and only use the land for hunting snipe and allowing visitors to get the full grits picking experience.;)

25 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Putting sugar in your grits if you're over the age of 12 will raise an eyebrow or two.

I recall a guy putting sugar on his grits at a cafe in Concord, NC and the waitress commented “Oh, you put sugar on your grits. How cute! Bless yer heart.” :lol:

The guy smiled and she went about her business. 

Otto Communista must Die!

26 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

It's a treasured Southern delicacy that is best when picked fresh by the light of a full moon using tweezers.

The family still holds our grits plantation on the banks of the river.  These days, we sub the grits picking out and only use the land for hunting snipe and allowing visitors to get the full grits picking experience.;)

Polenta is an Italian dish that uses cornmeal and is much like grits.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I recall a guy putting sugar on his grits at a cafe in Concord, NC and the waitress commented “Oh, you put sugar on your grits. How cute! Bless yer heart.” :lol:

The guy smiled and she went about her business. 

Otto Communista must Die!

I used to work with a man who told me that when he was stationed with the Air Farce, in Loozyanna, he would get his grits on the side in a bowl, and treat them like oatmeal or cream of wheat. Butter, sugar, and cream, and eat them like a hot cereal.

I am surprised he survived.

Only in this saloon could a discussion about mayo be mostly about grits.

I make my own mayo from scratch, mostly for a tuna salad sandwich.

Grits are good for breakfast, also oatmeal and cream of wheat.

Okra... What can I say about okra... I mean without getting banned...

I guess if I put okra in a stew, it would at best be meaty okra.

I like polenta also - smear it on a pine board and cover it with a red sauce like a Sicilian.  My mom would fry it and we would have  it for lunch.  Sometimes mom would slip in kidney beans, slice it when it got cold, dust it with corn meal and chili powder and fry it for supper.  And Grits can be eaten anytime you are hungry, best with a loose fried egg and lots of butter  all mixed up together. That is a great breakfast, but could be an any meal type of meaL  I also like left over fried oatmeal.  And what we called wet cornbread (corn meal mush). :-)

STL Suomi

On hot dogs - I like Kosher hot dogs (Vienna or Nathans), with the works - no ketchup please.  If I am at the beach in Chicago, I like their hot dogs (mystery is to what brand they are) with ample brown mustard (I think it has horseradish in it - it is HOT) and your nose get a real thrill from the heat like horse radish (which I love).  In the Chicago land area Daisy Brand hot dogs from Crawford Sausage Company are neat - they have casings on them that split when the hot dogs are grilled - old time hot dogs.  

Portillos in Chicago make the best Chicago style hot dog, yellow mustard, Vibrant (almost fluorescent)  green pickle relish, onion, tomato slices, and sport peppers, dill pickle slice served on a bun  (Mary Jane Bakery)  dusted with black poppy seeds, Hot dog should be lightly dusted with celery salt.  This was one of the things I lusted after in my dreams while in Viet Nam.  The other lust dream was ice skating in the park. 

I had a buddy who had a lust dream of a chocolate malted milk - go figure. :-)

STL Suomi

Archived